Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modern MILL

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
Iso1nano

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Modern MILL Reply with quote

I need help making a mill deck that will be somewhat semi competitive.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Creatures
4 [GTC] Consuming Aberration
4 [ZEN] Lotus Cobra
4 [ZEN] Hedron Crab
4 [ISD] Snapcaster Mage

// Spells
4 [ARB] Mind Funeral
4 [RAV] Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 [ZEN] Archive Trap
2 [M10] Haunting Echoes
4 [M11] Tome Scour
2 [AVR] Devastation Tide

is a small shell i have i need a mana base and any sugs jaces phantasmal or sword of body and mind maybe idk harrow?
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love decks that scoop to Emrakul
Halldir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to go mill, go without creatures and make it smth like turbo fog... + add side and maindeck some grave hate... black leyline works perfectly...
Iso1nano

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose wouldn't it be turbofog then.... Maybe that is the only way to go hum Wonder if turbo fog is viable in type 2 consuming aberation just caught my attention thats all
_Godica

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think any competitive mill deck needs to be Ubw. Blue is going to do most of the work, but black and white give some great utility.

As xJudicatorx mentioned, Eldrazi can be a problem. To deal with them, you need 4x Surgical Extraction main deck. This prevents an automatic loss G1 against tron, and also pulls a lot of weight against combo.
(Seriously, this card is a beast in mill decks. It's an answer to eldrazi, mitigation against lingering souls, hellspark elemental, snapcaster mage, etc, and when drawn in multiples or with snapcaster mage can cripple an opponent's hand. And it's available at instant speed, for 0 mana.)

Obviously this is not enough, but luckily there's some great sideboard tech available. Archive Trap is basically the only good mill card that exists. It's so good that you should also be playing 4x or 3x Trapmaker's Snare, so you can use it more often. So put Ravenous Trap in your sideboard, and in game 2 you have 9 cards in your deck that answer Emrakul.

Finally, for those decks that don't use fetchlands, Path to Exile is a great way to turn on Archive Trap. It's already one of the best removal spells in the format, that almost no deck would be unhappy to include. Plus even if white doesn't bring much mill to the table, it gives you better sideboard options. Supreme Verdict is an upgrade from Damnation, and Timely Reinforcements can be clutch in some matchups. Not to mention some form of enchantment removal is a must, so games 2 and 3 aren't a scoop to Leyline of Sanctity.

Some other cards which are absolutely necessary:
Visions of Beyond -- Ancestral Recall is too good for Legacy.
Thought Scour -- sometimes you just need an answer. This helps you dig for it, while nudging you slightly closer to a win.
Shelldock Isle -- it slows you down a bit, but card advantage is a must. I think 2 of these is right, but experiment to find the number you want.
Oboro, Palace in the Clouds -- Gives you a landfall every turn. Again, experiment to find the right number for you.

And a few cards you should avoid:
Consuming Abberation -- At 5 mana, this is WAY too slow, especially considering playing this on turn 5 won't even get you anywhere until turn 6. By then, it's likely your opponent will have either killed it or just flat out won. Modern is a fast format, and this is a very slow card.
Tome Scour -- You would need to draw and play 10 of these to win the game. There is a reason burn decks do not play Shock.
Mind Funeral -- It's just not as good as it looks. For every time it hits for 20, there will be three times it gets fewer than 10. It's essentially a more expensive Glimpse the Unthinkable that very occasionally hands you a fluke win. 2 or 3 isn't necessarily wrong, but 4 is a mistake.
Magx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Godica wrote:

As xJudicatorx mentioned, Eldrazi can be a problem. To deal with them, you need 4x Surgical Extraction main deck.

Why note Extirpate ?
_Godica

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to cast it for 0 mana if needed is relevant more often than split second is.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1