Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gatecrash Prerelease

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
magicman85

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Gatecrash Prerelease Reply with quote

What were the top guilds at your prerelease and were there any cards you underestimated/overestimated until you saw them played?
Scuta04

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5/6 picked boros and 2 of the players that didnt played boros anyways... underrated card: hands of binding. i played simic and took 2nd place
Scuta04

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not that there were only 6 players lol just the ratio i quickly identified with
Yavimaya73

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am biased. I loved Simic first Ravnica, the new Simic I dont really feel is very synergetic with any of the other guilds in this block, so unless you have a lot of evolving that is FAST...it's just too slow for the quick fast damage of Boros.
I think people underestimate Dimir in limited. The ability to mill multiple cards in a turn is really crippling to a lot of decks. As there really isnt much counter against it and not much graveyard tricks....Just the promo card alone is really sick and extremely hard to deal with as far as damaging removal. And the only guilds with outright removal at the moment belong in Orzhov and Dimir itself. Blue has indirect removal but it's only delaying the inevitable
Dimir doesnt kill you with damage as it will mill you. Think about the land ratio in a 40 card deck...maybe 17 lands usually right? well...with all those cards that mill until you hit a land...worst case scenario if this happens 17 times you lose completely...but since 7 cards will be out of that mix and probably the first few turns of draw...this makes this worse.
But I dont like Dimir as a guild. Just saying it's not as weak as people think in limited.
Scuta04

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did great with simic and didnt even get that great of a pull.. i beat boros every round but one lol. I usually raced them well with flyers and hands of binding and then biomass mutation/gridlock FTW.. Crocanura was a big card for me
pg8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I split the top 8 with Orzhov, and I'm pretty sure it was about half of the top 8. My only loss on the night was to the mirror. Because it's slow, it's really easy to splash if you need to. Incidental life gain made the Boros matchup a bye and Gruul at least very good. Also splashing 2 Aurelia's Fury helped a bit.
ErraticMage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke the top 8 with boros.

Dimir was godawful, and simic was nearly as bad, both were far too slow considering how fast some of the decks you could build were.

Skyblinder Staff over-performed in my opinion, I didn't expect it to do so well.
EMA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and the majority of players picked boros or orzhov, some took gruul and like 2 or 3 ppl out of 40 took simic or dimir.

I regretted picking Boros even if I did top 8, I think Orzhov in sealed is going to be better enough times to justify losing the ability to potentially splash better colors. (but I did enjoy casting the prerelease promo bomb so idk, I think both guilds were fine picks).

The draft format is still a mistery to me, it looks like blue is very mediocre compared to the power level of the other colors.
But I admit I could be a little bit result oriented here, having drafted blue 2 times out of 2 drafts and ending up with a super lame deck both times.

Last edited by EMA on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
EMA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit. double post
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1