Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rating All 20 Guild Mechanics

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Steveman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Rating All 20 Guild Mechanics Reply with quote

So IanStraka had this amazing idea to rate all 20 Ravnica guild mechanics. Although we still don't know how Gatecrash is going to turn out, it's still fun to speculate. Here's what we came up with in the chat.

20.) Radiance - This mechanic saw no play in constructed and would blow up your shit half the time in limited

19.) Forecast - There was one decent Forecast card (forgot its name, combo'd with Kiki-Jiki) and it wasn't any good thanks to its Forecast ability

18.) Graft - So bad.

17.) Evolve - Just as bad as graft.

16.) Hellbent - Has some decent cards (Infernal Tutor / Rakdos Pit Dragon) but having your hand empty is usually a bad thing.

15.) Cipher - Seems too gimmicky

14.) Bloodthirst - I would've rated this higher but creatures have gotten so big these days that Bloodthirst is hardly worth it.

13.) Scavenge - Decent limited mechanic

12.) Battalion - Pretty strong effects, kind of conditional. On one hand, we might be underrating it, on the other hand I really can't see it being better than most of the other mechanics.

11.) Extort - Probably the biggest sleeper of Gatecrash, I can see it being rated higher in the future (7 tops).

10.) Populate - Fun limited mechanic, Populate can get out of hand in the right deck.

9.) Convoke - This probably did something that I can't remember

8.) Detain - I think we overrated Detain

7.) Haunt - Ghostdad still haunts my dreams

6.) Unleashed - Every unleashed card is aggressive and playable in limited, Rakdos Cackler and Gorehouse Chainwalker are super aggressive red creatures.

5.) Bloodrush - Probably the best Gatecrash mechanic (although Extort may surprise us), every bloodrush creature is a combat trick and very playable in limited.

4.) Replicate - Gigadrowse and Shattering Spree both saw plenty of time under the sun.

3.) Overload - Every Overload card is a potential bomb and gets around Hexproof, not to mention Mizzium Mortars / Cyclonic Rift are just amazing.

2.) Transmute - Uncounterable tutors that double as spells (or a land), Heartbeat Combo search engine was built off Transmute and Tolaria West is a key component in 43 Lands (broken with Intuition / Loam).

1.) Dredge - Pretty much every format has been broken in half by Dredge
Livermush

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proclamation of Rebirth was a great card, on the note of forecast.
Livermush

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, your under-valuing of Evolve is gonna prove hilarious. Evolve is way more powerful than you think, and graft was really great as well.
warwizard87

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont see evolve being that good.......it proly will see some limited play but its to fragile for constructed.

14.) Bloodthirst - I would've rated this higher but creatures have gotten so big these days that Bloodthirst is hardly worth it.

not sure if that one is accurate, unless you mean from the set them selfs, since m12 had some pretty decent bloodthirst.
Livermush

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I value mine based on limited or block constructed play.
MagusGee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Evolve might see some fun combo plays in T2. At the very least Gyre Sage will probably see play on any non-combo green deck as a fun mana producer, especially with such huge cmc cards popping up.
Alvaro21k

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are forgetting about Demonfire in hellbent, which had a very strong impact in standard
Canabiest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For limited play Populate should be higher, it is a mechanic that defined decks.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think you guys are undervaluing evolve, I just got the crap beat out of me by a UG evolve deck, it can be incredibly good.
llamatron2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threshold should be in the top 5 along with Flashback...
Livermush

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

llamatron2 wrote:
Threshold should be in the top 5 along with Flashback...

Neither one of those are guild mechanics from the Ravnica sets.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1