Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Stories

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Magic Stories Reply with quote

Basically a thread for us to share our great stories around magic. Here's mine.

This was my first draft ever it was triple morningtide booster draft. Anyways I was quickly moving into mono green treefolk aggro and for late picks I was grabbing luminescent rains because I figured there would be applications where I could ruin my opponents racing math by casting one and gaining a large amount of life. I ended up with an excelent deck sporting 4 treefolk harbingers, 5 bosk bannerettes, chameleon collosus and a few beefy trees.

Round 1 I get paired up with my toughest MU, Giants. G1 I beat him, G2 he beats me with the intimidator. Seeing how the last two games played out I decide that it's appropriate to side in my rains. Game 3, we both start building up forces and gumming up the board. All the while I'm drawing into 2 rains, and he drops his intimidator again. Normally this spells doom for 90% of people in this situation so I slump in my chair and do my best to look as defeated as possible even though inside I'm thrilled because my evil plan is coming together. Over 4 to 6 turns he spends counting mana while I mutter in low towns go...., creature pass....

Finally! he gets the mana he needs, he taps out, intimidates all my creatures and swings for a whopping 24 damage, point right at me and saying "YOUR DEAD!" And then crossed his arms like a boss....but that's when I let that evil smirk crack my face Smile. "luminescent rain, luminescent rain, gain 28." Untap, then swing with everything "no....your dead Smile." His face went Crimson red and he was sooooooooooooooooooo pissed. I played him for a fool the entire game, and with a card that no one in their right mind would ever play. Seriously who the hell would think to play around a life gain spell in triple morningtide!?!?! This was definitively the highlight of my time playing magic.

What about you guys? Any amazing stories from the rest of the ML community?
Livermush

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was PTQ Charleston, team-trios standard (where teams of 3 people each play 1 game against their matching opponent on the other team). The Standard was Kami-Rav and I had just started here at Magic-League.

While I was here, I built a pretty cool Grull Aggro deck that I tailored against a kuko-heavy metagame. It looked something like this:

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Kird Ape
4 Silhana Ledgewalker
4 Burning-Tree Shaman
4 Rumbling Slum

4 Char
4 Moldervine Cloak
4 Might of Oaks
4 Volcanic Hammer

(In team trios, there can only be 4 of every card across all 3 decks).

The other people in my team were Brandon, who was playing Ghostdad, and Derek, who was playing UR Magnivore.

Anywho, the whole day I went 6-1 (was a pretty big PTQ) with my team having a 4-3 record for the day and finishing 16th out of 50-some teams. Our first match of the day was against the team from Starcity Games (Our team had went representing our comic store, Ballistic Comics). I easily beat the first guy, who was playing zoo, while my other two teammates lost to Evan Erwin and some random.

Anywho, around the 4th match, I was playing against a Kuko deck. Brandon lost his match, Derek won his, and my match was in it's really late turn.

On the field, my opponent had a Kuko and I was down to 3 life, he was at 4. It was my go and this was likely to be the last turn of the match. At this point, we had quite a crowd of players and judges alike watching the match.

So I do some quick calculations and realized my odds were somewhere around 15% of topdecking Char. I look my opponent in the eye and......flip CHAR.

The crowd erupts in over-zealous nerd joy and my opponent looks devastated. I did the best I could not to grin like an idiot while I shook his hand and told him gg.
Strid3r

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once played a Lost in the Woods deck and won!!!
mchosa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

island. go
Jules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my second vintage tournament ever, I jedi mindtricked someone into letting a Yawgmoth's Win resolve when he was holding a Force.

I was really careful in asking if something resolved, starting with some Moxen. Then I was bouncing them with Hurkyl's Recall for some extra colorless mana. After I was asking for the seventh OK? he was kind of rushing everything with OK! ''This?'' ''OK!'' ''And this?'' ''Fine!'' ''Yawgmoth's Win?'' ''Yeah Yeah''. ''Ok, play this from grave.'' ''Wait a second, oh F...''
Clipzzz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a pro tour event i was watching a game my friend was playing... the guy he was playing was dead on bored and said i need to rip searing flesh off the top to win.. 6R deal 7 damage to target opponent ... he rips it off the top stand up wipes his ass with it and slams it on the table... he did not see the judge standing behind him who gave him an instant game loss for unsportsmanlike conduct
Livermush

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clipzzz wrote:
At a pro tour event i was watching a game my friend was playing... the guy he was playing was dead on bored and said i need to rip searing flesh off the top to win.. 6R deal 7 damage to target opponent ... he rips it off the top stand up wipes his ass with it and slams it on the table... he did not see the judge standing behind him who gave him an instant game loss for unsportsmanlike conduct

I lol'd
Darkseed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was at a Pro Tour in Japan, a dude that i know was trading cards when he saw 2 guys playing near him, the guys were playing a very casual game, laughing and chilling out, so he said to me in a very loud spanish: "Look at those f*cking noobs, i hate nerds like those", I looked at him and tell: "Dude, that "noob" is Richard Garfield....creator of magic...", The worst part is that i believe Garfield speaks many languages, included spanish.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1