Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gatecrash Guilds

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
Rechtern

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Gatecrash Guilds Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I am looking for some opinions about the best guild to choose in Gatecrash prerelease events.

Which guild is stronger and what about possible splashes...?

Every comment is welcome.

Regards,
Rechtern
Livermush

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only half the set has been spoiled. A little too early for anything other than speculation.
Rechtern

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I am looking for...
MagusGee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the guilds being released in the set and from what's spoiled so far, I think GRw, but the extort ability makes Orzhov cards easily splashable to great effect. We'll just have to wait and see what else is spoiled though, and then of course, see how it plays. I can see evolve getting recockulous in limited.
Livermush

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rechtern wrote:

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/gatecrash-spoiler.html

And the Orzhov mechanic, extort, requires you to pay a black or white, meaning that splashing for just white or black makes the extort mechanic not that worthwhile.

Right now, I'm thinking Grull and Simic are the way to go. Evolve lets you keep pumping up your baddies, the Grull creatures are big just by themselves, and Grull's Bloodrush ability lets you sneak in that extra combat damage or alpha strike.

It just depends on who has the best commons, I suppose.
Livermush

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rechtern wrote:

Or were you looking for speculation, rather?

I'm sorry, I think I profoundly misunderstood you.
warwizard87

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am thinking if your looking to win it gruul or Orzhov, both mechanics are brutal. gruul seems to have the overpowered stuff though simics evolve is looking decent, but it seems like you have to get the right cards at the right time and hope your opponent dosnt have good removal. Boros is a toss up for me it could go either way. id stay away from dimir, it MIGHT be broken but at the same time you may just get trash to =[
MagusGee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Livermush wrote:

. . .And the Orzhov mechanic, extort, requires you to pay a black or white, meaning that splashing for just white or black makes the extort mechanic not that worthwhile. . .

I disagree. If you had the W or B to pay for the spell originally, and then you play a spell in one of your other colors and would have that mana as extra (which would seem common in many limited games), then I feel it would be awesome. Tap an unused mana (as the ability only tiggers once, so you can only pump one mana of either color in to it, an arguement I had with one of my friends), you gain one life and ping your opp for one. Seems kinda awesome to me.
Livermush

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagusGee wrote:
Livermush wrote:

. . .And the Orzhov mechanic, extort, requires you to pay a black or white, meaning that splashing for just white or black makes the extort mechanic not that worthwhile. . .

I disagree. If you had the W or B to pay for the spell originally, and then you play a spell in one of your other colors and would have that mana as extra (which would seem common in many limited games), then I feel it would be awesome. Tap an unused mana (as the ability only tiggers once, so you can only pump one mana of either color in to it, an arguement I had with one of my friends), you gain one life and ping your opp for one. Seems kinda awesome to me.

Yeah, you can only use the extort once per instance of extort.

It is true that if you paid a splashed white or black for the spell with extort on it, you will obviously have the mana at that point available to pay the extort cost, however, since you are splashing the orzhov color, you will most likely only have a few cards with extort on them and will only have the minority of lands available to tap each turn in case of multiple extort triggers per turn. Not to mention that Orzhov colors can only be splashed in UGR{w/b}, GUBw, and GRWb.

So, weakening my mana base for such a slow rate of damage and life-gain that is completely vulnerable to removal isn't a good enough trade-off.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1