Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OCTGN is way better than Magic Workstation for Magic-League.

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
Spyx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this program quite some time ago, but it was very confusing to set up, and there where no clear instructions.
HUNGTACTICS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open source means there is a possibility for people to install cheats such as backwash for apprentice
Ravnica

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClarkKant wrote:
It's gotten a lot better.

And version 2.0 is going to be incredible. 2.0 had been worked on for almost 2 years and is close to release finally!!

I am bringing it up now right before 2.0 is released so that if there was some technical reason that magic-league doesn't use it, some incompatibilities with the servers or something, that magic-league could talk to the developer at http://octgndev.wordpress.com/ and work out the problems before release.
The Version 2.0 thats stated to be released for 3 years? Hmmm... that sounds just like Magic Workstation.
Malhavoc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

troindx wrote:
jorbes you liar
there is NO WAY you've been able to slide through the whole code and discovered those things... NO WAY.

firstly you must understand the programming code, thing i doubt you can, secondly you have to check each part of the source part by part. considering the program, it's a large piece of code... and looking at someone else's code is fustrating... and thirdly no way you can discover such a thing.

it being opensource doesn't meen it's easier to hack... it has nothing to do when the program is well prepared. Actually it makes the total opposite, cos real nerds (not you) who know about programming can come around discovering that kind of bugs , let them know and fix them.

The only problem i seem to find with octgn is that

a) It is built around MS Development tools, so it'll never come out for linux

b) There is ... no "oficial download" link nor nothing clear... so i don't know how to download it.

Jorbes is developing a similar application. His idea COULD be biased, but surely he knows what programming is. As about finding hacks, there are two types: some are those really hard to find, which really needs you to delve into the code. The others are just those that are plain evident due to design errors. For example, Scrollrack (another software similar to apprentice) had an obvious hack which came from its design (how it handled cards encryption), and which was quite evident after looking at it for just a bit.

Nevertheless, since OCTGN is still developing, there is no need to get so harsh for a possible hack: if it's being developed, it can be fixed. The real question is another: I've seen OCTGN developing since I've heard of it, and every version I've tried was quite messy. If a final version is going to come up (which is not now, reading the same link you provided), and the program will be valid, surely I'll be the first congratulating.
DarklordDrex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Octgn 3 has been released... I got it to play multiplayer variants with friends of mine. www.octgn.info to find the application.

Anybody want to give the code a quick look through and tell us if it's still not likely to be used?
xHourglass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to become really unpopular around here I propose you refrain from necroing a 5 year old thread.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1