Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Android and Steam

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
kendiggy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Android and Steam Reply with quote

Alright, so as most of the old-schoolers here know, I'm in the Navy. I'm getting ready to go on an 8-month deployment here in a few weeks. Part of my personal deployment preps include stocking up on entertainment for myself. I've got plenty of e-books, etc... But I'm not entirely sure about this situation.

I'm debating purchasing a tablet. I currently have an iPhone 4S and iPhone is the only smartphone I've ever owned, so I'm not too familiar with the other OS's that are out there. I know I do not want an iPad. I'm tired of Apple's proprietary bullshit. My primary concern is ease of transferring media. My other main concern is the ability to use steam. See, last deployment I paid for MTG: Duels of the Planeswalkers via steam and Civilization 4 but never really got much good use out of it since I was very busy most of the time. This time I should have much more free time for myself so I'd like to get my money's worth.

I've found a great deal on a 32 gb 10" ASUS Transformer with the Android OS but I'm told any windows based Steam games will not work on it. Since I'm not too familiar with this sort of thing, I'm hoping I can get some clarification because my only source is someone I'm not entirely sure knows what he's talking about just yet (I just met him a few weeks ago). I'm currently out to sea and have no access to my usual reliable sources and have a painfully slow internet connection, one which does not allow complex websites to load at a reasonable speed. Like, I'm talking it's like a 15 minute wait to load facebook... almost a minute and a half just to "like" a status...

So, I'm turning to my old friends at ML. Is it possible to get these games to work on an Android tablet? If so, how? Or is it as easy as downloading the Steam app and opening the game...? IDK, I'm completely inexperienced with Android...
Livermush

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good laptop will cost half as much as a good tablet, and the laptop will run your games.

If the tablet has usb connections for mouse and keyboard, you very well may be able to run them through a Windows emulator, but I wouldn't bank on the hardware being able to handle much past Morrowind.

Seriously though, just buy a laptop (and not a netbook, a full-size, big-boy laptop).
Sebas_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah just buy the laptop it will be more simple... and damn the time runs really fast, like 6 - 7 years ago since you joined in the navy =P
Livermush

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebas_ wrote:
yeah just buy the laptop it will be more simple... and damn the time runs really fast, like 6 - 7 years ago since you joined in the navy =P

Sebas=noob.
Sorry, it's tradition.

Also, Sebas, how's your sister? Is she still hot?
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, she's still smokin'

Sorry sebas, had to see her last night
kendiggy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five years, it will be in February, since I joined. And I do have a laptop, but it is not comfortable to fit your laptop in your rack while you're in it. That's why I'm debating a tablet.
Livermush

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendiggy wrote:
Five years, it will be in February, since I joined. And I do have a laptop, but it is not comfortable to fit your laptop in your rack while you're in it. That's why I'm debating a tablet.

I'd suggest a tablet-laptop combo like this: http://www.pricefalls.com/products/Asus-Eee-Pc-T101mt-Notebook-Tablet-Atom-N570-1.-6-Ghz-Windows-7-Starter-1-Gb-Ram-320-Gb-Hdd-10.-Wide-1024-X-600-In/id/57353071?utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=PLA&utm_content=40072543111&utm_campaign=pla-listings

If you do get a tablet, make sure it has Windows 7 or 8 and you should be able to run anything up to Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

If you need more games to play, check into some Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and Playstation emulators, and buy yourself a wired XBox 360 controller.
Iso1nano

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

google nexus is probally your best tablet atm Smile
Livermush

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso1nano wrote:
google nexus is probally your best tablet atm Smile

This is not true.
Iso1nano

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How so
Livermush

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso1nano wrote:
How so

The Android operating system is crap. What OP wants is something that can run steam...Android isn't gonna be able to run steam nor even keep him entertained with any decent games.

Plus, the hardware specs just aren't as good as an Asus.
Iso1nano

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asus helped make the nexus????
Iso1nano

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/882964117850995371/

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-nexus-7-tutorial/
Iso1nano

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lied asus makes the nexus ??? so im further confused its specs are the best on the market for the price and if then your better getting a windows 8 tablet coming out next year but for now the google nexus is the best tablet on the market and its pretty easy to put windows or linux on the tablet...
DarklordDrex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something called the Ultrabook Convertible. One of MANY ThinkPad innovations. I don't know the exact specs of this model, but it is fairly new and should be decent. The bonus is that you can operate is as a laptop or a tablet
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2