Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Keykeeper" deck

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Perfiction

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: "Keykeeper" deck Reply with quote

I came up with a rather off-the-wall standard deck concept a few days ago. I haven't got a chance to test it, but I would like some input. This is a rough list, some play-testing could change the numbers around a bit.

4 Rakdos Keyrune
4 Azorius Keyrune
4 Izzet Keyrune
4 Supreme Verdict
4 Terminus
4 Bonfire of the Damned
4 Rolling Temblor
4 Dreadbore (Gives the deck the ability to remove planeswalkers easily)
4 Detention Sphere (Gives the deck the ability to remove planeswalkers easily)

4 Blood Crypt
4 Steam Vents
4 Hallowed Fountain
1 Isolated Chapel
1 Drowned Catacomb
2 Clifftop Retreat
2 Swamp
2 Mountain
2 Island
2 Plains

Sideboard:
4 Duress (for decks with non-creature win-cons)
4 Slaughter Games (for decks with non-creature win-cons)
4 Mizzium Mortars (for aggro decks too lightning fast for your sweepers)
4 Pillar of Flame (for aggro decks too lightning fast for your sweepers)
3 Geist of Saint Traft (for decks loaded with instant-speed removal for your Keyrunes)
1 Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius (for an additional win-con)

Overview: Looking at the current Standard meta, we see that every deck wins by attacking. Aggro, mid-range or control, every deck wins by attacking. On top of that, the top tier decks seem to play very little instant speed removal, and even less artifact/enchantment removal. The current Standard meta is lacking in a few things, and this deck is designed to take advantage of it.

Simply spam sweeper spells, erasing wave after wave of your opponents attackers. The deck might want some way to draw additional spells, but you can generally force a few card-advantageous plays with such a high density of sweeper spells. Once your opponent is low on cards, or simply does not have a play, you activate your mana-fixing Keyrunes and attack until their life total hits 0.

Hope that sums it up...but is this deck playable? What kind of archetypes do you foresee it having trouble against?
Mcleetsauce

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the 20 card sideboard helps.
doc_morriar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like this deck idea.
how about the enchantment that detains a permanent each turn?

i dont like bonfire as much as i used to..
and rolling temblor can be a 3 or 2 of as you can cast it 4 times in a match easily from flashback.

you also never want to see more than 2 a game.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it seems good in theory, I believe it won't work as planned. Playtesting would prove this. You will never actually clear your opponent of threats, as they can play around all of your removal. RDW can get in quick, and just throw burn to finish you off. The deck lacks any legitimate card advantage. Sure a mass sweeper may 2 for 1, but most times you will be forced to 1 for 1 with an expensive removal spell.
cdubs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sphinx revelation and a bolas would be sweet
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't mana base a problem? i mean, not only colors, but also this deck looks really mana intensive (high cmc, keyrunes activations...). you will need to reach the late game every game, and as it's been said there're really fast decks now, and better late game plans. to go with the keyrunes plan you need to become more controllish, a durable board control, not only sweepers, which are easy to play around if you do not have another way to control.
magicman85

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs more Stensia Bloodhall
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1