Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cockatrice

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
A88smith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Cockatrice Reply with quote

This is probably a common question, but if i enter a tournament, can i ask my opponent if they want to use Cockatrice, or is there a rule that says only MWS can be used in tournaments?
magicman85

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only MWS...you can ask for cockatrice maybe they prefer cockatrice too, but for the most part only MWS
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.magic-league.com/guide/floor_rules.php

2.6 Play Application

Players may only use play applications for tournaments that contain all of the following features:

Deck security codes
Log files for matches, that are stored in plain text.
Print whether a deck is sideboarded or not at the commencement of a game.

If both players agree to use a different program for a league match, this rule could probably be bent. I would sugges tonly using it for casual matches though, because if a judge cannot verify what is going on in the game, you will not be able to avail yourself of their help.
A88smith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xJudicatorx wrote:
http://www.magic-league.com/guide/floor_rules.php

2.6 Play Application

Players may only use play applications for tournaments that contain all of the following features:

Deck security codes
Log files for matches, that are stored in plain text.
Print whether a deck is sideboarded or not at the commencement of a game.

If both players agree to use a different program for a league match, this rule could probably be bent. I would sugges tonly using it for casual matches though, because if a judge cannot verify what is going on in the game, you will not be able to avail yourself of their help.

Doesn't Cockatrice have these things though? Plus in Cockatrice a game can be spectated; judges could actually watch the games we play. And correct me if i'm wrong, but i think i read somewhere that the servers that you play Cockatrice over prevent cheating, in a similar way video games do through their servers. Why is MWS the standard?
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Judges watching every match? You do know that we do this for free, right?

2. If you believed that a server can prevent cheating, I'd love to sell you the golden gate bridge.

3. Not sure about the log files, but Cockatrice does not say whether a deck is sideboarded nor does it have security codes. Basically, you can say you are playing one deck and use something completely different -- like a deck with 8 copies of an important spell to make sure you get one in your opening hand most of the time.

4. MWS is really the standard because no one has bothered to make a program nearly as effective yet. We have hopes obviously that someone will eventually.
Pokemaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xJudicatorx wrote:
1. Judges watching every match? You do know that we do this for free, right?

2. If you believed that a server can prevent cheating, I'd love to sell you the golden gate bridge.

3. Not sure about the log files, but Cockatrice does not say whether a deck is sideboarded nor does it have security codes. Basically, you can say you are playing one deck and use something completely different -- like a deck with 8 copies of an important spell to make sure you get one in your opening hand most of the time.

4. MWS is really the standard because no one has bothered to make a program nearly as effective yet. We have hopes obviously that someone will eventually.

Cockatrice has security codes and it prints whether deck is locked or unlocked. Locked=unsideboarded.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certain about that Poke? I'm not familiar with Cockatrice personally, but these are the problems that have arisen with it in the past.
Burton911

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would cockatrice be an option if someone fixes the issues (its open source after all)

In theory, it shouldnt be that much work, but i'm unfamiliar with Qt (afaik its developed in Qt).

@Cheating: i think he meant software induced cheating like it happend with apprentice. The Server prevents this as it controls the game mechanics like drawing and the likes (at least i assume it does it that way)
Pokemaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I read someone said that you can unlock deck before opponent join, change it and lock it. I tested it and if you lock your deck always resets if you lock it.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burton911 wrote:
would cockatrice be an option if someone fixes the issues (its open source after all)

In theory, it shouldnt be that much work, but i'm unfamiliar with Qt (afaik its developed in Qt).

@Cheating: i think he meant software induced cheating like it happend with apprentice. The Server prevents this as it controls the game mechanics like drawing and the likes (at least i assume it does it that way)

In theory, it would certainly be an option. In reality, what do you gain over simply using the tried and true? I would not personally want to download a new program that at best does the exact same thing as the one I already have.

You might be right about the cheating, but it is clearly not what I was talking about in the post he responded to.
JC_Strainer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got some time on my hand and took a look at Cockatrice.

My first impression is that it is certainly not a bad program, I could see my self using this in some situations. To be more precise, having the option to play 2HG seems like a sweet addition to our possibilities.

That being said, the one thing that prevents me from using it is the missing log files, it is simply unsuitable for use on Magic-League without them.

So in case they implement log files, there might be a nice for 2HG play, although we will have to see if people are actually interested in 2HG and if so, are willing to set up another program for it. I actually doubt that, but we'll see.
skkipyCRUNCH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

log files are displayed as game replays
JC_Strainer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that there is a replay function, it still is necessary to have a log file in .txt format to use for the judges.
Burton911

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC_Strainer wrote:
I finally got some time on my hand and took a look at Cockatrice.

My first impression is that it is certainly not a bad program, I could see my self using this in some situations. To be more precise, having the option to play 2HG seems like a sweet addition to our possibilities.

That being said, the one thing that prevents me from using it is the missing log files, it is simply unsuitable for use on Magic-League without them.

So in case they implement log files, there might be a nice for 2HG play, although we will have to see if people are actually interested in 2HG and if so, are willing to set up another program for it. I actually doubt that, but we'll see.

Multiplayer is practically irrelevant for ML Play.

The advantage of cockatrice is that it is less prone to connection errors, and other annoying things you encounter while using MWS.
Kabelis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it had all the tournament functionality it's basically strictly better than MWS, Oh-no-I-need-to-get-used-to-new-program issues aside.

It has a lot of functions MWS failed to implement properly (multiple types of counters/more convenient arrows which don't get in the way of each other etc.), it doesn't crash due to stupid reasons like arrows being pointed at the same time a card is put into the graveyard. Or just, you know, randomly which MWS has been known to do.

Arrows being pointed/adding mana to mana pool also shows up in the log which is convenient to backtrack what happened.
It also has keyboard shortcuts for "macros" so you can communicate a lot faster with no need to move your mouse around everytime you want to say "Ok".

It can also be updated which helps.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2