Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B/R controlshrieking affliction discard deck

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
mayan_heck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: B/R controlshrieking affliction discard deck Reply with quote

in the SCG sideboard show, they featured a deck by chris cornwell-shiel, that made use of shrieking affliction and rakdos return, as well as a number of control cards. the idea is to keep the board clear and keep your opponents hand clear, get them with the shrieking afflictions and stensia/whatever creatures you might have out.

here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vRv8BAC8zw

here's the list

// Lands
11 [RTR] Swamp (4)
2 [RTR] Mountain (1)
4 [RTR] Blood Crypt
4 [M13] Dragonskull Summit
2 [ISD] Stensia Bloodhall

// Creatures
2 [ISD] Bloodline Keeper/Lord of Lineage
4 [M13] Vampire Nighthawk
2 [RTR] Desecration Demon

// Spells
4 [RTR] Shrieking Affliction
4 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil
4 [RTR] Dreadbore
4 [M13] Sign in Blood
4 [M13] Duress
2 [RTR] Ultimate Price
3 [M13] Mutilate
3 [RTR] Rakdos's Return
1 [RTR] Mizzium Mortars

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [RTR] Mizzium Mortars
SB: 2 [RTR] Rakdos Charm
SB: 1 [DKA] Grafdigger's Cage
SB: 4 [RTR] Slaughter Games
SB: 3 [AVR] Pillar of Flame
SB: 1 [ISD] Blasphemous Act
SB: 1 [RTR] Underworld Connections
SB: 1 [M13] Tormod's Crypt

i think it's an interesting idea, but this list doesn't thrill me

so i'm looking for ways to improve this deck and make it playable, mostly for my local FNM since most of this list is pretty cheap, and i like playing discard control Very Happy

obviously the biggest weakness to this deck is reanimator, and even any sort of aggro deck. the SB here is to try and help with that but it doesn't do much good. here are some cards i've been looking at

Options:
Deathrite Shaman
no green mana sure, but Duress and other discard options will ensure sorceries and instants drop into the yard. also deals with unburial rites and other pesky flashback cards

Olivia
Chris mentioned in the video that Olivia was originally meant to be in the deck but couldn't get them, so had to use Bloodline Keeper.

Sever the Bloodline
might be one for the SB, since the SB tends to deal with zombies and Sever is fairly nice at doing that.

Shimian Specter
i have no idea of how useful this card is. on paper it sounds great, a creature with slaughter games when it deals damage. but its a 2/2 flyer, easily blocked and dealt with.

Slumbering Dragon
odd choice, but could be handy in the early game against aggro decks. anything to stop them attacking while i get set up. i just have no idea how well this card works though

Staff of Nin
eh, better things to be doing with that mana

Xathrid Gorgon
not sure why this is here but stopping attacks and control creatures is kind of cool

Discard options:

Appetite for Brains
limited use, but good for tusk/angel. i prefer duress though.

Mind Rot
don't think it would fit

Assassin's Strike
destroying a creature and discard is nice, but 4BB is way too much.

Black Cat
meow

Rakdos Ringleader
6cmc for a 3/1 that relies on doing damage to discard. sure it has regenerate but it's so easy to avoid.

anyway, any and all help is appreciated. i like this idea a lot and even though it gets torn apart by re-animator/aggro, it's a fun little deck i think.
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the idea. ravenous rats is not in your casting? way better than black cat.
Iso1nano

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rats def need to be seen here Smile
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1