Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RtR League Sealed Deck: Suggestions?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a terrible pool to run UR in :/

UW jumps out at me and can probably be run without a splash at all. If you do want a splash though, green looks best. Here's my build for that:

New Prahv Guildmage WU
Hussar Patrol 2WU
Hussar Patrol 2WU
Dramatic Rescue WU
Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage GW
Common Bond 1GW
Courser's Accord 4GW

7 gold cards

Fencing Ace 1W
Seller of Songbirds 2W
Selesnya Sentry 2W
Rootborn Defenses 2W
Rootborn Defenses 2W
Eyes in the Sky 3W
Knightly Valor 4W

7 white cards

Gatecreeper Vine 1G
Rubbleback Rhino 4G
Giant Growth G
Giant Growth G

4 green cards

Runewing 3U
Voidweilder 4U
Voidweilder 4U
Downsize U
Blustersquall U

5 blue cards

Azorious Guildgate
Azorious Guildgate
Hallowed Fountain
Grove of the Guardian

4 (4!!!!!!!) non-basic lands

5 forest
4 plains
4 island
magicman85

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my build, if you try it let me know how it goes

// Lands
2 [RTR] Azorius Guildgate
1 [RTR] Grove of the Guardian
1 [RTR] Hallowed Fountain
4 [RTR] Island (3)
5 [RTR] Forest (2)
5 [RTR] Plains (4)

// Creatures
1 [RTR] Tower Drake
1 [RTR] Skyline Predator
1 [RTR] Hover Barrier
2 [RTR] Voidwielder
1 [RTR] Armory Guard
1 [RTR] New Prahv Guildmage
1 [RTR] Vassal Soul
2 [RTR] Hussar Patrol
1 [RTR] Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage
1 [RTR] Runewing
1 [RTR] Selesnya Sentry

// Spells
1 [RTR] Downsize
1 [RTR] Dramatic Rescue
1 [RTR] Common Bond
1 [RTR] Coursers' Accord
1 [RTR] Martial Law
1 [RTR] Eyes in the Skies
1 [RTR] Knightly Valor
2 [RTR] Giant Growth

Basic idea of the deck will be to put tough ground creatures to hold off your opponent while you kill in the air or populate with the Guildmage
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo, I'm pretty good at sealed, so I'll give this a go. Making sealed decks is fun. I didn't read the comments yet, so here's my unbiased opinion.

First off I skim right to the lands to see what kind of mana fixing you have. 2 Azorius Gates and a Fountain means I'll be using UW unless the pool is absolute garbage or the BG is absolutely... awesome.

ok.... wow, your gold UW sucks! 2 2/4's, rescue and the guildmage (which is the worst guildmage imo). That's very unfortunate. LOL, this is like, a terrible pool, oh dear. Green gives Gatecreeper and double Giant growth, which is nice. I do like my tricks. You could potentially go Bant, cool that the vine (meaning you have green) gets the UW gate. And you get another trick in Common Bond and the GW guildmage, which is the 1 man army of RTR limited. But really that's all you got with Green unless you want Slitherhead, which is just a dumb card. So fuck Green.

As I look through your black cards, I am once again reminded of how bad your pool is. Carnival Hellstead is about the only reason to use black. And at 6 mana there's an outside chance you could splash for it, but I doubt it. Your non gold black cards are pretty much garbage too. lol, oh dear...

Your red is actually pretty decent. I've had some good experience with Cobble Brute in UR. Paired up with Mizzium Skin (Which you have 2 of) and Dispel, this 5 power can be easily protected. Ofc it has to get past blockers, and for that you have Blustersquall, 2 (TWO!) Voidwielders, 2 Traitorous Instincts and even a downsize to save the Brute from some blocks. Very nice indeed. This is why I love Izzet, all these tricks.

With 3 UW dual lands, White is an easy splash. Your white cards are all pretty shitty except for Martial Law. Ofc that's why it costs 2WW, and that's also why I'm not going to use it. DON'T be fooled! It doesn't matter that you're using white, I strongly suggest not using it. Your white is too terrible to warrant using anymore than 1 Plains in addition to the 3 duals, so Martial Law will just be too awkward to reliably cast.

I'll flesh out the must haves just incase we don't even need white...

Stealer of Secrets 2U
Tower Drake 2U
Runewing 3U
Voidweilder 4U
Voidweilder 4U
Downsize U
Blustersquall U
Mizzium Skin U
Mizzium Skin U
Dispel U

Viashino Racketeer 2R
Lobber Crew 2R
Cobble Brute 3R
Cobble Brute 3R
Bloodfray Giant 2RR
Tenement Crasher 5R
Traitorous Instinct 3R
Traitorous Instinct 3R
Explosive Impact 5R

Nivmagus Elemental R/U
Rakdos Cackler B/R
Izzet Charm UR
Essence Backlash 2UR
Essence Backlash 2UR

Those are the cards I would use right off the bat, oh yeah.

Izzet Keyrune

Almost forgot about the Keyrune. So that's.... 25 cards?! lol, wtf. Hrmmm.... Maybe we don't even need W. Thinking....

Yes, I think White is needed. I say this because I really like Essence Backlash, and Hussar Patrol plays really well with it. Dramatic Rescue also will really help as an additional trick, token killer, aura smasher, and +1/+1 counter resetter. Rescue also works great with Backlash. But anyways, if you're using UW, you're obviously using Rescue, I don't really need to go over the merits of the card. New Prahv Guildmage, though not the best guildmage, is still a very solid card, and could potential steal the late game.

New Prahv Guildmage WU
Hussar Patrol 2WU
Hussar Patrol 2WU
Dramatic Rescue WU

So I guess that's 29 cards. 23 sounds better, so I'll cut 6.

First off I will cut the Guildmage. LOL, yeah yeah, I'm cutting it. I don't care what I said before, I'm streamlining my thoughts, and I don't think I can reliably cast it early, and later in the game I can't reliably cast it AND activate it, even for the flying. So yeah, not being reliable early or late means it can go.

The more I think about Hussar Patrol, the more I don't like it. I'm cutting both. Now I'm only using white for Dramatic Rescue... and I think probably I should just not use white at all. So, I won't. Splashing a 3rd colour for a 2cc unsummon seems retarded. so yeah, down to 25 cards by cutting all the white. Hee hee.

1 Essence Backlash and 1 Tower Drake. Bam! Easy breezy. I am not a fan of 2 powered flyers for 3, especially Tower Drake. Final list?

Stealer of Secrets 2U
Runewing 3U
Voidweilder 4U
Voidweilder 4U
Downsize U
Blustersquall U
Mizzium Skin U
Mizzium Skin U
Dispel U

Viashino Racketeer 2R
Lobber Crew 2R
Cobble Brute 3R
Cobble Brute 3R
Bloodfray Giant 2RR
Tenement Crasher 5R
Traitorous Instinct 3R
Traitorous Instinct 3R
Explosive Impact 5R

Nivmagus Elemental R/U
Rakdos Cackler B/R
Izzet Charm UR
Essence Backlash 2UR

Izzet Keyrune

9 mountains
8 Islands

I went with 1 more mountain because of Rakdos Cackler. Viashino Racketeer will smooth out mana floods or ditch Essence Scatters in whatever situation you find yourself in where you don't need/want it. Though he doesn't have flying, I think that this deck has enough tricks that he'll be getting through enough to make a differance. Most games you'll just be getting your opponent to 5 than winning with an Explosive Impact anyways.

Thanks for sharing your pool, that was fun.
StarWolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voidwielder is generally pretty highly rated. Bodies with unsummon effects are well-liked in limited.
sandoiche
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's see.

Your Black and your Green are just terrible. Even with a great effort on playing them together, you will end up with like... 16-17 playables? You don't even have some cheap 3-3 centaurs to start working with... sounds like an easy discard to me.

We are left to U / R / W; in all scenarios the good mana base will fit in here, maybe more or maybe less. Three colors will greatly appreciate it, UW will never get screwed and even UR can enjoy the white mana for the Tower Drake.

Then, I always look for the creatures that will be making my curve. Unless we get the very uncommon scenario of making 3-4 colors good removals+good fixing+good card advantage+few bombs combination to make a good control deck with very few creatures, i'm not pretty confortable on playing less than 15. In limited, that's how you win games, playing bodies and sending them in.

By "might make the cut" I put the cards I won't include too often, but I will sometimes be playing them. Also consider that creatures not having it, doesn't mean that they will be auto-included; we are always taking the deck strategy and a game plan as a whole instead of individual cards.

On this pool we've got:

Red:

3cc Viashino Racketeer
3cc Lobber Crew
4cc Cobble Brute
4cc Cobble Brute
4cc Bloodfray Giant
5cc Batterhorn (might make the cut)
6+cc Tenement Crasher

White:

2cc Fencing Ace (might make the cut)
3cc Seller of Songbirds
3cc Selesnya Sentry
4cc Armory Guard (might make the cut)
4cc Azorius Justiciar
4cc Phantom General
4cc Eyes in the Sky

Blue:

2cc Doorkeeper
3cc Hover Barrier
3cc Stealer of Secrets
3cc Tower Drake
4cc Runewing
5cc Voidweilder
5cc Voidweilder
6+cc Skyline Predator

If we pair them on guild:

Izzet:

1cc Nivmagus Elemental
2cc Doorkeeper
3cc Hover Barrier
3cc Stealer of Secrets
3cc Tower Drake
3cc Viashino Racketeer
3cc Lobber Crew
3cc Izzet Keyrune (I consider this both as a drop three and as a creature)
4cc Runewing
4cc Cobble Brute
4cc Cobble Brute
4cc Bloodfray Giant
5cc Batterhorn (might make the cut)
5cc Voidweilder
5cc Voidweilder
6+cc Tenement Crasher
6+cc Skyline Predator

In this build, we have a good early game for sealed (not very relied on two drops and speed, a lot more on card advantage and gradual little advantages on combat steps). We are not overloaded on costs four, maybe will be on 4+ if we use the Batterhorn. Also, I dont think Rakdos Cackler is good enough for sealed play, specially with 3-3 Centaurs and some pretty good common walls around. The spells we can use to backup this are:

Izzet Charm (a real good cheap instant removal, on a format lacking them)
Essences Backlash (I rarely play them, unless I've seen a bomb, can make a profitable use of them by pressuring opponent with cheaper stuff or to fill the 22 cards)
Downsize (might make the cut)
Blustersquall (the more creatures you play, the more you want this card)
Traitorous Instinct (this is some real business, again you want more creatures and pressure to this grow a lot in value)
Explosive Impact

In the scenario of only Izzet, I would have to fill with cards i'm not very excited to bring in, like Dispel, Mizzium Skin, Rakdos Cackler. Even three is a high number for walls to be played, if we are around 15-16 creatures they are 20%. Let's take a look at Azorius.

Azorius' creatures:

2cc New Prahv Guildmage
2cc Doorkeeper
2cc Fencing Ace (might make the cut)
3cc Hover Barrier
3cc Stealer of Secrets
3cc Tower Drake
3cc Seller of Songbirds
3cc Selesnya Sentry
4cc Runewing
4cc Armory Guard (might make the cut)
4cc Azorius Justiciar
4cc Phantom General
4cc Eyes in the Sky
4cc Hussar Patrol
4cc Hussar Patrol
5cc Voidweilder
5cc Voidweilder
6+cc Skyline Predator

We have around the same number of creatures, but they are a lot more subpar, and with a very worst mana curve. Seven four drops is definitely a lot more than I would feel confortable to play, specially some very few game play impact ones (Eyes in the sky without centaurs, phantom general without a lot of tokens and armory guard because its armory guard).

Spells you have access to:

Dramatic Rescue
Downsize
Blustersquall
Martial Law
Rootborn Defenses
Rootborn Defenses
Knightly Valor

I'm again not very excited with the two rootborn defenses and the downsize, but Knightly Valor might shine. Pair it with Stealer of Secrets, Fencing Ace or a came-out-of-nothing Hussar Patrol and you can easily swing games in your favour.

Splashing red is harder on here, mainly because your good fixing is already on your main colors, you will be left to use Izzet Keyrune which might too late for spells like Izzet Charm having full effectness. Also, creature curve is meh.

I would go in two directions:

1 - Three-Colors Hard Power. Pick the best combination between bombastic spells and good creatures with decent mana curve alongside. You will make up the lack for more good low costed stuff with the best the pool can offer your.

2 - UR splashing W, mainly for Knightly Valor, Dramatic Rescue, Hussar Patrols and maybe the guildmage.

Option 1 sandoiche's build:

2cc New Prahv Guildmage
3cc Seller of Songbirds
3cc Viashino Racketeer
3cc Lobber Crew
3cc Stealer of Secrets
3cc Tower Drake
3cc Izzet Keyrune
3cc Hover Barrier
4cc Runewing
4cc Cobble Brute
4cc Bloodfray Giant
4cc Azorius Justiciar
4cc Hussar Patrol
4cc Hussar Patrol
5cc Voidweilder
5cc Voidweilder
6+cc Tenement Crasher
6+cc Skyline Predator

Izzet Charm
Dramatic Rescue
Explosive Impact
Martial Law
Knightly Valor

2 Azorius Guildgate
1 Hallowed Fountain
6 mountain
4 island
4 plains

Maybe for a less double costed build, play Cobble Brute over the Bloodfray Giant and something else over the azorius justicier (might be the blustersquall, it doesnt let a body when racing but plays the same role of clearing path).

Option 2 sandoiche's build:

1cc Nivmagus Elemental
2cc Doorkeeper
3cc Hover Barrier
3cc Stealer of Secrets
3cc Tower Drake
3cc Viashino Racketeer
3cc Lobber Crew
3cc Izzet Keyrune (I consider this both as a drop three and as a creature)
4cc Runewing
4cc Cobble Brute
4cc Cobble Brute
4cc Bloodfray Giant
4cc Hussar Patrol
4cc Hussar Patrol
5cc Voidweilder
5cc Voidweilder
6+cc Tenement Crasher
6+cc Skyline Predator

Izzet Charm
Traitorous Instinct
Explosive Impact
Knightly Valor
Dramatic Rescue

2 azorius guildgate
1 hallowed fountain
1 plains
6 islands
7 mountain (we probably need more blue mana, but we have 10 sources of them not to count the Keyrune)

The relevant cards ive cut were: Blustersquall, a second copy of Traitorous Instinct, the Azorius Guildmage. Ended up cutting the guildmage because it won't be sticking around soon, and later probably the other creatures are better anyway. I'd try to keep the Blustersquall over something else, maybe the other Traitorous Instinct.
Even with three colors, i can see myself playing 17 lands only because of the Keyrune and the real good fixers for the splash.
Anyway you end up with the main deck, you still have solid sideboard options according to your opponent's gameplay (instinct/blustersquall are bad when you are trying to survive vs. opponent and take over with stronger stuff, while the doorkeeper is bad when we are fightning the air.

Anyway, I didn't really liked neither of my builds, but i just can't use an Izzet deck with like 10-11 creatures and lot of tricks that might be dead in your hand :SSS well if not my deckbuilds help, hope my thoughts at least do.

Cheers
sandoiche
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarWolf wrote:
voidwielder is generally pretty highly rated. Bodies with unsummon effects are well-liked in limited.

Indeed. Add tokens/populate to the mix and we have a less offensive but better defensive Shriekmaw.

Not to mention it also works well vs. Scavenge, another guild mechanic.

Even though, it's still a great tempo swinger (bounce their best high costed dude, bounce their lone blocker forcing them to make worst blocks on the next turn to keep them alive, gives you some air when trying to survive vs. opponent rush, effectively destroy auras while leaving the body, etc.)
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1