Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4C Burn

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-4 Lands of your choice. I would pick -1 Swamp, -2 Mountain, and -1 Steam Vents

+4 Scalding Tarn

Consistency should improve significantly.

Reasoning behind -1 Steam Vents is that you're only playing 1 card that needs it, and it's in your sideboard. I'd cut that card and play something else. Firespout perhaps.
pg8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't cut the steam vents, but i would cut the Kitchen Finks.
YiiiMTG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for 3 mana 3 dmg is not that good in Burn?
GreenBear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah your mana is way off, you have to much red and not enough of the other colours, 16-20 with 16 being adequate and 20+ being excellent for a main colour like your red and 12 is really the minimum for a secondary colour (14 being more ideal) more if your counting fetchland's as a splash colour as sometimes you will need to fetch different lands.

Last edited by GreenBear on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShamedShadow wrote:

Reasoning behind -1 Steam Vents is that you're only playing 1 card that needs it, and it's in your sideboard. I'd cut that card and play something else. Firespout perhaps.

Electrolyze doesn't matter. Steam Vents is there for Tribal Flames.
xHourglass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Zoo in modern plays four colors and splashes for a fifth (not that I'm saying zoo is an amazing deck, it's kinda faded into obscurity) and 'cheats' its mana by playing its shocklands as one-ofs and using a ton of fetches to make sure it can get what it needs consistently.

PVDdR's manabase from Player's Chamionships:

4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Temple Garden
1 Marsh Flats
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Forest
1 Blood Crypt
[21 Lands]

Notice that he plays 13 fetch effects.

The blood crypt is the fifth colour splash for tribal flames, which you play. With such a mana base you could consider splashing for your 5th colour to maximize your burn. Not saying that that's ideal if you're already having mana issues with the first four colours, but it's in the realm of possibility.

Your deck tops out at cc four (five, if you count Hit//Run in the sb). You don't need so many real lands, you can play lots of fetches and thin your deck in order to both maximize your chances of drawing live and hitting your colors consistently. You're burn, you just want to race them to 20, if you take some damage in order to accelerate your deck, by all means do so. You don't want to be stumbling around on your mana base.

Filter lands from shadowmoor and eventide help fix decks with 'bad' mana, such as Jund. Maybe they could find a place in your deck too.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1