Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mutilate vs. undying

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
[PT]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Mutilate vs. undying Reply with quote

This just happened.

Opp. summons Vorapeed and ends turn. On my turn I use Mutilate. Vorapede dead and then back undead.

Can my Mutilate's ability target the undead Vorapede?
I had never thought of such a scenario, but it would make sense if it affected. After all, "All creatures get-1/-1 until end of turn for each swamp you control."

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Zits

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutilate kills the Vorapede. Undrying triggers and Vorapede returns with +1/+1 counter.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutilate only affects creatures that are currently on the battlefield when it resolves.

The "undead" Vorapede is not affected by Mutilate for the same reason that if you cast a Mutilate and then cast a creature, the creature you cast after the Mutilate is not affected.
[PT]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks!

The ability text is a bit misleading. Now I know.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify something.

Mutilate has no ability and does not target anything.

The explanation, that it only affects creatures that are on the battlefield when Mutilate resolves is correct.
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pseudodespot wrote:
Mutilate has no ability and does not target anything.

Mutilate does have an ability. "All creatures get -1/-1 until end of turn for each Swamp you control" is a spell ability.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1