Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BWG Beatdown/Rock

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: BWG Beatdown/Rock Reply with quote

This deck is mostly about efficient 3 drops, given that you have 8 turn 1 accelerators and 10 awesome 3 drops, you will frequently be putting even zombie decks on the back foot on turn 2 Their trolls look pretty stupid across from a table of things 3/3 and bigger. In addition to this it has a lot of grindy elements built into it for when you are going against control decks sporting a ton of wraths. Against garruk is unbelievably powerful, dreg mauler's haste is very relevant and so is his scavenge, restoration angel has psudo haste, thrag tusk generates CA even through terminus, and sever not only deals with every threat they have, but it also has flashback to deal with their next one. In the end, its not to difficult to grind them out as well as keep up some serious pressure.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [M13] Sunpetal Grove
4 [RTR] Overgrown Tomb
4 [RTR] Temple Garden
4 [ISD] Woodland Cemetery
6 [RTR] Forest (4)

// Creatures
4 [RTR] Loxodon Smiter
3 [AVR] Restoration Angel
2 [RTR] Deathrite Shaman
2 [RTR] Centaur Healer
4 [RTR] Dreg Mangler
4 [ISD] Avacyn's Pilgrim
3 [M13] Thragtusk
4 [M13] Arbor Elf

// Spells
4 [ISD] Sever the Bloodline
4 [M13] Garruk, Primal Hunter
4 [M13] Farseek

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [RTR] Deathrite Shaman
SB: 2 [RTR] Centaur Healer
SB: 1 [M13] Thragtusk
SB: 2 [RTR] Abrupt Decay
SB: 2 [M13] Oblivion Ring
SB: 3 [RTR] Rest in Peace
SB: 2 [DKA] Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
SB: 2 [M13] Disciple of Bolas

ramp:

4 pilgrim 4 elf: these allow for your most explosive starts. This deck probably has the scariest turn 2 plays in the format and it all begins with these. You play the maximum 1 mana excellerators, no question.

4 farseek: not nearly as impactful as the other guys but still excellent because it gets you to your 5 drops and restoration angels a turn earlier and further ensures that your mana is good and I subscribe to the zvi marshowits (or however his name is spelled) philosophy that a good deck starts with good mana.

4 dreg mangler 4 smiter 2 healer: This is why I play these colors. Dropping any of these guys on turn 2 and another on turn 3 is sooooo hard for anyone to keep up with not to mention they are all still good later in the game. Smiter is good against everyone just because of how aggresively costed it is, mangler is better against control but still very good against aggro decks since it blocks well and grows a guy later, either making one threat very huge (like an angel) or growing an otherwise useless accelerator. Centaur healer is the weakest of the bunch, however he is needed against decks like zombies where they have the ability to "burn" you out which means that you need to manage your life total carefully.

3 restoration angels: quite a good card but not always because you reuse ETB abilities. There are a lot of times when your opponent will try to stem the bleeding by using removal and restoration angel negates that and puts even more pressure on the board. Another common use is to let you jam your guys into your opponents blockers and remove an unfavorable trade from the table. There are a lot of other times though when she is just a 4 mana psudo haste 3/4 flyer which is just fine since most of the time your opponent was already under a great deal of pressure during the early game.

3 thragtusk: still one of the best creatures in the format, still plays unfairly well with restoration angel and as an added bonus draws a ton of cards with garruk.

2 deathrite shaman: Used to be 3, they are very good but only to supplement your main beatdown plan so you do not want to draw them often. However there are quite a few times when they are good, and they often act as burn helping you finish off an opponent even after they have stabilized on board. There are also 2 more in board if your in a particular match up where they would be especially effective.

4 garruk, primal hunter: Garruk has been incredible, he gives the deck a lot of gas, his tokens are quite large for the format, his minus ability is incredible, especially with thragtusk on the board. On top of that his ultimate is one of those game ending ones so if the board gets gummed up, your the one with the time bomb.

4 sever: sever has become probably the best removal spell in the format, especially in this type of deck. Right now the major win conditions are olivia, entreat the angels, and troll. All of these are pretty hard to deal with but sever gets rid of them all and can come back to do it again. Considering how much ramp is in this deck when a game goes late, you should have enough mana to flash it back again to take care of another threat, making this usually a 2+ for 1.

As for the sideboard, right now the meta is not established enough for planed swaps targeted at particular strategies so right now it's meant to be flexible.

thragtusk + angel + healers come if for overly aggressive decks, as long as I don't die to the early rush and burn my creatures will take over because they are bigger and badder. abrupt decays might also come in if they have a low curve or they have something really threatening in that mana range.

thalia + disciple of bolas + shaman come in against control decks, maybe even some oblivion rings if I'm going to be going against planes walkers or something. Thalia is a menace against them, bolas generates a lot of card advantage to keep the gas flowing, and shaman is particularly good because it denies them flashbacks and burns them to death.

3 rest in peace because I highly respect the power of frites in this format. I have played it a few times and seen it played a few times, that deck is no joke and is scary powerful. I will not be caught with my pants down against that thing.

Anyways that's my deck for the upcoming standard, Thoughts? Comments?
Duodax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rest in peace does nothing vs frites, how often more shall i repeat that?
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duodax wrote:
rest in peace does nothing vs frites, how often more shall i repeat that?

You can say it any number of times, I don't think it will ever start being true. Keeping any card from being put into a graveyard seems pretty strong against a reanimation deck.
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with duodax. besides, your gameplay is perfect vs frites. just go bigger and faster than them. side in the 2 extra healers, the tusk and the chaman. side in 3-4 obl rings too to deny angels targets and control giselbrand. take out 4 garruks, 1-2 sever the bloodline and 1-2 smiter or mangler and be the aggro. you could still play some rest in peace, but less and don't make it your main weapon against frites. at least that's my experience. even ground seal could be better (as bad as it is) 'cause it's a cantrip and denies graveyard targets (angels and rites). it's even more important to stop angels than rites.
struikje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with duodax that RIP doesn't just win the game vs reanimator, maybe when you put enough of a clock on them. Just add some orings to kill griselbrands and angels. Angel, thragtusk and lingering souls are not that hard to cast for them.

Anyway, why don't I see Lothleth trolls in the list? You should try it out, its absurd how good it is. Also, lingering souls is still a great card, and you play its colors, try adding those. 4 big garruks is to much I think, try adding the smaller garruk.
Magx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe tormod's crypt is better than RIP ?
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest in Peace seems great against Frites...they have to side in their Oblivion Rings, Golgari charms, etc. but at least it gives you some weapons
ralphah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Judicator - Take out any card from grave seems perfect to me
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this version of frites is more a midrange deck with recursion than a reanimator combo deck. of course punishing GY helps, but if you do not have a plan against angels and tusk they will beat you anyway. pegachris is tired of saying that, i didn't believe him neither, until i've played few games against this deck. it's not that frites is unbeatable, but it is a deck that gives hard times to any deck without reach or extreme control. with that build, best plan is racing and controlling their big flying threats (angels and griselbands). with your own tusks and restangels you can go to the long game, except they have souls and you have efficient 3 cmc creatures, which gives you advantage if you control flying monsters. in that sense, selesnya charm is even better than o-ring, although not so versatile. ad purify the grave is better than RIP to fight frites.
SteveGoode

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant see how people saying rip against them isnt good and mean it with a straight face. Lingering souls is a horrible with rest in peace in play unburial rites has no targets and to a degree it makes angel worse cause they can only chain creatures they have in play with the "unsummon" ability. RIP isnt the complete solution to the deck but it does make a lot of their spells worse
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rip is good but if you only rely on it they will screw you, as they pack good enchantment hate in SB, but in this build i'd rather play selsenya charm and purify the grave. just a matter of taste, but i prefer them as they can't destroy my response to their deck with orings, decay or similar. against this build souls will go defensive, so you only have to worry about monsters. purify the grave let's you counter hardcast rites and deny flashback for WW. with charm you can kill hardcast monsters or give trample to one of your own for letal damage through spirit tokens. as we say in spain: there're as many tastes as colors.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveGoode wrote:
I cant see how people saying rip against them isnt good and mean it with a straight face. Lingering souls is a horrible with rest in peace in play unburial rites has no targets and to a degree it makes angel worse cause they can only chain creatures they have in play with the "unsummon" ability. RIP isnt the complete solution to the deck but it does make a lot of their spells worse

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. The RIP's are not used as a complete solution in this deck, they are used as to make their deck much worse and slow them down to the point where if they get a chance to cast their fatties its already too late. Also them boarding in enchantment hate is even better for me, it dilutes their deck (again, slowing them down) and RIP already resets them as soon as it comes into play, so its like relic of progenitus except instead of drawing me a card it turns 4 cards in their deck into blanks (well and blanks a ton of their cards until they draw the enchantment removal). RIP's are also supplemented by deathrite shamans, these are pretty bad when you have a RIP in play, but if you have a RIP in play then your monsters are a billion times better so the trade off is just fine. But when you don't have an RIP in play they do a great job stopping them from quickly dropping a monster, and they will take away a lot of the value of flashback cards while burning your opponent.

In sum, this deck gameplan vs. frites is to beat down game one as fast as possible, g2 take out the slower cards and put in some grave hate and beatdown while deploying a graveyard hate card and then when they drop their angel, hit it with a sever or an O ring.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if your going to include a full package of mana ramp elves you should look into including a few gavony townships (probably one for a spell one for a land). Should help you be able to flashback sever more consistently as well as, get a lot more value out of your mana dorks. I agree you can probably cut a garruk primal hunter.

Curve looks reasonable though, maybe a few more 2 drops, as your one drop elf getting killed in this deck is very bad.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1