Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post rotation grixis control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Post rotation grixis control Reply with quote

// Lands
2 [RTR] Blood Crypt
2 [M13] Dragonskull Summit
3 [M13] Drowned Catacomb
2 [M13] Evolving Wilds
2 [DKA] Haunted Fengraf
2 [RTR] Island (3)
4 [M13] Mountain (2)
3 [RTR] Steam Vents
3 [ISD] Sulfur Falls
1 [M13] Swamp (4)
1 [RTR] Transguild Promenade

// Creatures
2 [ISD] Olivia Voldaren
2 [RTR] Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius

// Spells
4 [RTR] Dreadbore
4 [RTR] Izzet Charm
1 [RTR] Counterflux
2 [RTR] Rakdos's Return
3 [AVR] Bonfire of the Damned
1 [RTR] Slaughter Games
1 [RTR] Thoughtflare
2 [M13] Magmaquake
3 [AVR] Pillar of Flame
3 [RTR] Chromatic Lantern
3 [RTR] Rakdos Keyrune
2 [ISD] Desperate Ravings
2 [RTR] Jace, Architect of Thought

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [RTR] Counterflux
SB: 1 [AVR] Bonfire of the Damned
SB: 1 [RTR] Slaughter Games
SB: 2 [AVR] Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
SB: 2 [RTR] Izzet Staticaster
SB: 4 [RTR] Rakdos Charm
SB: 3 [RTR] Mizzium Mortars

i really want this pile to work at a fnm level at least. card choices:

olivia and niv-mizzet: finishers, board control, card advantadge... all in one but vulnerable to sorcery speed removal (sphere, ring, new DoJ, dreadbore...).
chromatic lantern, rakdos keyrune: mana fixing and accelerating (huge bonfires and magmaquake are needed soon in this format). keyrune also defends against geist and thagtusk and its beasts. also an attacker against cotrol mirrors where your opp only has sorcery speed removal (azorius control).
izzet charm: versatile, removal, card quality and a counter for those early token makers, rings and so.
dreadbore: best removal spell, gets rid of PWS too, which is a plus in a grixis deck that couldn't manage them otherwise.
bonfire, magmaquake: sweepers, excellent but not enough, this is what this deck lacks.
pillar of flames: early removal, good against zombies. one of the weakest cards MD, thinking of moving them into SB but not sure for what.
desperate ravings: a must, recurrable card advantadge. 2 is the number, as i have to play it wisely when i have one of my finishers in hand.
jace: good against tokens (until anthems show up) and slowing swarms, mini fact or fiction that always gives you quality cards. if you get to play the ultimate it's pretty much gg. originally it was tamiyo, but i changed it and moved tamiyo to SB.
slaughter games: besides what people say, in this deck it's a must. there are several cards you don't have another way to fight. name them entreat the angels, thragtusk (you have rakdos keyrune, but not having to see tusk in the board is way better). the one in MB enough, there's another one in SB but thinking on having the whole set, 1/3. i really mean there are cards you can't face without it.
thoughtflare: impressive, 1 it's ok but they could make it to 2.
counterflux: it is a singleton, but i think it will go up to 3 and take out the 2 rakdos return. counterspell is another way to fight those cards you can't otherwise.
rakdos return: the weakest card in MB. in theory it could help to win without your creatures, along with bonfire, but this deck does no run enough discard to make it worth. it does not help neither with board control, so it will probably be changed for 2 more counterflux or whatever.

lands: manabase is ok, maybe transguild promenade out for a lighthouse or something else. haunted fengraf is really cool with such a low count of creatures.

sideboard: a little bit clunky. 2 counterflux will move to MB, and 2 slaughter games will come in. or maybe 1 and the 4th counterflux. the additional bonfire is against aggro, as well as mortars, which get rid of tusk ad angels and swarms all in one card. rakdos charm is graveyard hate and reach against tokens. also protection against the few artifacts that could hurt, such as pithing needle. staticaster is good against tokens and zombies, and maybe against manadorks if a deck with them becomes popular. it is a weak card though. tamiyo is there because this is a control deck, but i can't see a matchup in which it will become a must. it may not make the cut. snapcaster mage could make it in her place.

love, hate, whatever you have to say about this deck will be heard if polite. i know it is early in the meta, so don't bother saying that please. those who love to netdeck and are expecting pros to make their brews just keep waiting and do not post shit on this pile. i know by the moment it is not competitive, as although it makes it ok against aggro and control decks, recurrable thragtusk are too hard (and there are 2 ways to do it: rites and angels, and it is soooo popular that i know without a good plan against that no deck is going to make the cut).
Jacois

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dissipate > Counterflux
Sprouts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

run cremate, maybe even md
GunsAndDope

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncopate > dissipate
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i'll give a try to both syncopate and dissipate. aymore additions? i thought to change pillar of flame for mortars, as sweepers MB (even expensive ones as mortars) are needed, what do you thik?
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Lands
2 [RTR] Blood Crypt
2 [M13] Dragonskull Summit
3 [M13] Drowned Catacomb
2 [M13] Evolving Wilds
2 [DKA] Haunted Fengraf
2 [RTR] Island (3)
4 [M13] Mountain (2)
3 [RTR] Steam Vents
3 [ISD] Sulfur Falls
1 [M13] Swamp (4)
1 [RTR] Transguild Promenade

// Creatures
3 [ISD] Olivia Voldaren
2 [RTR] Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius

// Spells
4 [RTR] Dreadbore
4 [RTR] Izzet Charm
4 [AVR] Bonfire of the Damned
1 [RTR] Slaughter Games
1 [RTR] Thoughtflare
3 [RTR] Chromatic Lantern
3 [RTR] Rakdos Keyrune
2 [ISD] Desperate Ravings
2 [RTR] Jace, Architect of Thought
2 [RTR] Mizzium Mortars
2 [M13] Negate
1 [RTR] Cyclonic Rift
1 [ISD] Curse of Death's Hold

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [RTR] Slaughter Games
SB: 2 [AVR] Pillar of Flame
SB: 4 [RTR] Rakdos Charm
SB: 1 [RTR] Mizzium Mortars
SB: 2 [M13] Negate
SB: 2 [RTR] Cyclonic Rift
SB: 2 [ISD] Curse of Death's Hold

this is the current brew i'm testing. changes: curse of death's hold is a must. i forgot about it before, but it screws zombies and is hard for any aggro deck. the counterspell finally is negate: i have no problems with any creature (except for tusk), and negate protects me from troublesome non-creature cards. this is true also for cyclonic rift (deals with rings and spheres, plus it can deal with a creature if needed). all this 3 cards see play MB and SB. out went magmaquake and rakdos return. olivia's count went up to three, mortars moved 2 MB and pillar of flame down to 2 and in SB. one more slaughter games in SB too.
overall it seems like doing better than before, even won reanimator.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1