Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The return of valakut

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
LuckyDucky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: The return of valakut Reply with quote

Matchups so far

Tron 2-0 pretty easy win (mwsplay)

UB nihilith, delver, mind sculpt, nephalia drownyard, jace's phantasm, thoughtscour, glimpse the unthinkable, surgical extraction, manaleak, remand, go for throat, etc deck 2-1 close matchup (mwsplay)

Valakut Scapeshift
// Lands
4 [ZEN] Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
4 [WWK] Halimar Depths
1 [ZEN] Island (3)
2 [M10] Forest (1)
4 [GP] Steam Vents
4 [GP] Stomping Ground
1 [ZEN] Mountain (1a)

// Creatures
3 [ISD] Snapcaster Mage
4 [M11] Augury Owl

// Spells
4 [MOR] Scapeshift
4 [SHM] Prismatic Omen
4 [WWK] Explore
4 [M13] Index
4 [M13] Farseek
4 [RAV] Remand
4 [FD] Serum Visions
1 [M12] Rampant Growth

// Sideboard = Jank
SB: 4 [RTR] Dispel
SB: 3 [M13] Augur of Bolas
SB: 4 [M11] Mana Leak
SB: 4 [FD] Magma Jet

Now that valakut is back, it's time to make a deck! The main problem I've found so far is whether to use cards like augur of bolas, peer through depths, etc, or scry cards. IMO, scry cards are better because you can get cards you dont want out of the way (like valakut, etc) but still keep non-instant/sorceries like prismatic omen.

Discuss

Last edited by LuckyDucky on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
StarWolf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also add Boundless realms. Also Ancient Stirrings is better than Index and I wouldn't even necessarily use it. Just my (probably silly) thoughts.
LuckyDucky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boseiju is a good idea!

the index is really a turn 1 play and not much else

cryptic command is good

I think boundless realms is too expensive and ancient stirrings gets rid of your enchantments/sorceries
xHourglass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Index is bad. Really bad. The literal worst.
magicman85

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Primeval Titan?
xHourglass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^That was my thought as well. Valakut ramp was a deck in extended, before modern was a thing, and ran primeval titan to great success.
doc_morriar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

due to the massive difference between power levels and speed of decks in extended and modern..
i do not think that primeval titan should be in the scapeshift version.
the whole point of the deck is to cast shift on turn 5 and win the game on the spot.

primeval titan comes down turn 5 at earliest and doesnt finish your opponent off in one gulp.

that being said, ponder and preordain complete this prismatic omen version...

so what im trying to say is, the cards should be all about assembling and protecting your combo to win on turn 5 or 6.

i hope my rant was a reasonable way to say that i dont believe 6 drops belong in the deck.
Jacois

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doc_morriar wrote:
due to the massive difference between power levels and speed of decks in extended and modern..
the whole point of the deck is to cast shift on turn 5 and win the game on the spot.

primeval titan comes down turn 5 at earliest and doesnt finish your opponent off in one gulp.

so what im trying to say is, the cards should be all about assembling and protecting your combo to win on turn 5 or 6.

i hope my rant was a reasonable way to say that i dont believe 6 drops belong in the deck.

Preordain and Ponder are banned.
LuckyDucky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
doc_morriar wrote:

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
xHourglass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wondered why you were going on about the turn 5 combo. Without cantripping library manipulation the pure omen/scapeshift version lacks a lot of consistency. Primetime acts as just another (though more expensive as you pointed out) way to get a lot of lands out quickly to kill the opponent. It's a big threat that wins the game on its own. And a turn 4 primetime is not in any way out of the realm of comprehension, 1-2-4-6 is completely doable in standard and a modern version has access to far better ramp.
LuckyDucky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xHourglass wrote:
Yeah, I wondered why you were going on about the turn 5 combo. Without cantripping library manipulation the pure omen/scapeshift version lacks a lot of consistency. Primetime acts as just another (though more expensive as you pointed out) way to get a lot of lands out quickly to kill the opponent. It's a big threat that wins the game on its own. And a turn 4 primetime is not in any way out of the realm of comprehension, 1-2-4-6 is completely doable in standard and a modern version has access to far better ramp.

But the cost of playing titan is that you have to take out some cantrips or counters. You probably also need search for tomorrow
doc_morriar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
doc_morriar wrote:

i realise they're banned.
i guess i worded it incorrectly

what i meant to say is
because these two cards are banned the deck may need primeval titan to assist. but i shouldnt think so
doc_morriar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and search for tomorrow is a must in this deck i believe
magicman85

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too familiar with Modern, but another option for your Valakut tutor is Knight of the Reliquary if he is legal.
Pushover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have people forgotten about going Bant for Wargate?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2