Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Child of Alara + Cauldron Haze

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
MTGmanLA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Child of Alara + Cauldron Haze Reply with quote

If I got a Child of Alara out, and I play Cauldron Haze to give it persist and then it dies. Does its ability go off first destroying every nonland permanent THEN it comes back or does it come back then destroy every nonland permanent?

I would think it destroys then comes back but I just wanna make sure.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

both persist and the child's own ability trigger at the same time. You control both so you put them on the stack in an order of your choice. So it depends on you whether child comes back before it destroys everything or not.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both triggered abilities are controlled by the same player (you) and occur at the same time, so you decide in which order they go on the stack.

If you choose to put the Persist ability on the stack and then the destroy ability on the stack, the destroy ability will resolve first, destroying every nonland permanent, then the Child of Alara will return to the battlefield with a -1/-1 counter.

If you choose to put the destroy ability on the stack first, then the Persist ability, the Child of Alara will come back with a -1/-1 counter, then all nonland permanents will be destroyed, again triggering the destroy ability, destroying all nonland permanents again.

You'll probably always want to do the former, but the latter can be useful if your opponent has persist or undying creatures of their own.

Hope this helps.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1