Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grixis Trading Post Control 2.0

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Grixis Trading Post Control 2.0 Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
1 [AVR] Island (3)
3 [NPH] Phyrexia's Core
4 [M13] Drowned Catacomb
4 [SOM] Blackcleave Cliffs
2 [M12] Dragonskull Summit
5 [SOM] Swamp (1)
4 [NPH] Mountain (2)

// Creatures
2 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine

// Spells
3 [MBS] Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
1 [SOM] Mindslaver
4 [MBS] Ichor Wellspring
2 [SOM] Mox Opal
3 [NPH] Mycosynth Wellspring
4 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
1 [M13] Staff of Nin
4 [M13] Trading Post
3 [MBS] Black Sun's Zenith
4 [SOM] Galvanic Blast
4 [NPH] Whipflare
2 [SOM] Tumble Magnet

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [SOM] Tumble Magnet
SB: 3 [ISD] Curse of Death's Hold
SB: 4 [NPH] Life's Finale
SB: 2 [NPH] Karn Liberated
SB: 1 [ISD] Sever the Bloodline
SB: 2 [SOM] Mimic Vat
SB: 2 [SOM] Kuldotha Phoenix

I've been working on trading post for over a month now and I have finally arrived at what I feel is the final product given the current metagame. Right now the main deck is tuned to handle aggressive decks like zombies, delver, and pod. There are tons of cheap removal and sweepers to slow things down till you can take over with tezzeret or wurmcoil engine. Against control decks you still have a pretty good game, although you end up having a bunch of dead cards like whipflares and bsz, you still have a massive amount of card advantage and threats that are incredibly resilient to removal and you also have mindslaver which has turned out to be muuuuuch more of an advantage then i originally though. Ramp is very tough g1 though, most of your removal isn't good enough for a titan, and they can get a titan faster then you get a wurmcoil, in this mu tumble magnet goes a long way keeping you alive till you drop a threat or you can make black suns zenith big enough. On the bright side though Ramp is not nearly as popular as the other top tier decks right now.

Card choices:

Removal Suit:
4xwhipflare: cheapest mass removal in the format, also there are so many creatures in the format that have 2 toughness or less, this card does an amazing job of buying time against aggro decks however this does become a dead card against most other control decks, I will usually swap these out for lifes finale's against them.

4x glavanic blast: these provide instant speed defense against delver of secrets, mana dorks, and other aggressive creatures, do not be afraid to use one of these mid combat against a strangleroot geist or a messenger in order to save some damage and set up a sweeper. In addition to this however, it is also a fantastic removal spell against a great deal of planeswalkers and in a large number of games that I have played with the deck, it can kill an opponent out of nowhere which also effects the way your opponent will play making so that your opponent will be very uncomfortable stabilizing on 0-8 life.

3x black suns zenith: bsz has been much better than I had originally expected. First of all, you do not have to use it to kill everthing, sometimes weakening creatures is good enough. There have been a few occasions where I have beaten delver decks by reducing their restoration angels to 0/1's or 1/2's. Also this is one of the few things that can kill a predator ooze and lastly bsz can kill aristocrats through their sacrificing abillity.

2x tumble magnet: although technically not removal it does fit the same purpose of stalling. These are very good though at dealing with things like titans, aristocrats, and inkmoth nexuses.

Card Advantage:

4x ichor wellspring: Good cantrip, draws tons of cards with trading post, helps you dig to your threats or answers or lands. Helps you get to metalcraft and can become a body with tezzeret.

3x mycosynth wellspring: It's basically another cantrip that will always draw you the land you want. It's a very good card in this deck helping make sure you hit the right land drops at the right time.

4x: nihil spellbomb: another cantriping artifact that has a very good ability. Being able to remove a graveyard has nearly always been relevant. They are very good at nerfing snapcaster mages, runechanters pikes, undieing creature, and flashback spells. They are also incredibly important against solar flare and frites and the mirror match where you can respond to their recursion by exiling their target.

1x Staff of nin: Pretty much for the control matchups, however it is still very useful against many other decks. In addition to providing a great deal of card advantage it also acts as removal, and a means of dealing with inkmoth nexuses, it's also pretty much game over if you land it against infect.

3x tezzeret: Tezz is a combination of finisher, card advantage, and reach. Tezzeret is an incredibly versitile planeswalker. He can put a very large body in the way of an aggro deck. He can severely punish an opponent who stumbles by swinging for 5 then 10. He can kill other planeswalkers by generating haste threats out of nowhere. He can bury your opponent in card advantage by using his impulse ability, and he can burn your opponent out if they stabilize and it only takes 1 turn to set that up. Basically he is a lot like jace in how much he does for 1 card.

4x Trading post: The card the deck is named after, what trading post does for the deck is plain dirty. It generates enormous amounts of card advantage, makes all of your threats incredibly hard to deal with since you can sacrifice them in response to draw a card and then return it later. In addition to that it can also generate its own tokens for sacrifice and it can pitch cards for lifegain which is quite relevant when your are facing an aggro deck. It's also a great way to cast a kuldotha phoenix post board while gaining 4 life and making it uncounterable.

Finishers

2x Wurmcoil Engine: Big lifelinking deathtouching card advantage machine! Brings you bad from lossing nearly any race and deathtouch makes it so your creatures trades with anything that isn't indestructable no matter what size, and he combines SOOOOO well with trading post, becoming incredibly hard to kill and resilient to conscripts/act of aggressions.

1x Mindslaver: This was originally just there to handle decks that would just lock me out however mindslaver has really over performed for me. It makes a TON of unwinable situation a win. I have been 1 turn from death and suddenly I win with this card. I've made my opponent equip lashwrith to death, i've made my mill opponent blue suns zenith himself to death, i've made an opponent ultimate a lilliana of the veil on himself, in addition to all of these situations I've had a lot of times where I've been a turn from death and just slaver locked my opponent out of the game. Mindslaver is just SUCH a good card, and it is unbelievable against control.

I will talk about the sb latter, right now I do not have the time
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back, now about the sideboard

1x tumble magnent: comes in against ramp decks to increase your chances of slowing them down, also a good filler card to come in for some dead cards against weird decks

3x curse of deaths hold: this is a very good card against a great deal of aggressive decks and it is particularly good against delver decks, resolving one of these takes a lot of wind out of their sails. It completely shuts down moorland haunt, turns delvers into dead cards and neuters snapcaster, hero of bladehold, and blade splicer. It also makes restoration angels and geists a lot less threatening. It's also an auto win against infect decks and and elves and just does a ton of damage against the fast creature heavy decks. The reason why I like this card so much is because it can give you free wins against a number of troublesome decks

4x life's finale: these usually come in whenever whipflare is bad. It's a beast against control decks adding insult to injury as you not only wipe their board you also cranial extract all their possible future threats as well. This also comes in against ramp decks as your chances of winning significantly improve if you can resolve one of these. I also bring these in against pod decks to supplement my sweepers, against them you can also take out all their cards that are good against you and break up pod chains.

2x Karn Liberated: I bring these in against other control decks over things like whipflare, black suns zenith, and tumble magnents. Karn is unbeatable a lot of the times for a control deck if it resolved, on top of that he is also a very flexible piece of removal. Before anyone asks, yes I have tried spine of ish sah before, but that requires a significant mana investment every turn which karn does not. Also karn can attack my opponents hand.

1x Sever the bloodline: This is to hedge against miracle decks mostly, but it also comes in against control and ramp as a nice piece of removal.

2x mimic vat: Bring these in against trading post mirrors and birthing pod decks allowing me to get a defender when they pod stuff up, or break up trading post chains while getting an attacker. So far it has been doing it's job very well.

2x Kuldotha Phoenix: The is my special hawt tech against control decks or the mirror. He has been so good to me that I've started to get a little twinge of fear that my opponent might have them if I'm playing against another trading post deck with red in it. They kill planeswalkers out of nowhere, they provide a fast clock especially when you have galvanic blasts, it has an incredible recursion ability built right into it which makes it play SOOOO well with trading post. Speaking of trading post, trading post also helps you bypass the steep cost of triple red in its casting cost. Simply discard it on your opponents end step to gain 4 life, then bring it right back for 4 colorless and crack your opponent across the jaw with it while leaving a trading post open to protect it from shenanigans. Also it flies which means it can block delvers, nexuses, and angels all day long without breaking a sweat. I love this card SOOOOOOOOO much its rediculous. I would love to have one md however that would make my curve way to high and I dont think I would want to cut any of the higher cost cards for it.
cdubs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torpor Orb is a really good card against pod and other decks abusing etb effects.Inkmoth nexus is good with tezz and a good chump blocker. Life's finale sometimes better than blacksun cuz it kills wolfir silverheart and lets you see their deck and choose their worst threats and put them in grave.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdubs wrote:
Torpor Orb is a really good card against pod and other decks abusing etb effects.Inkmoth nexus is good with tezz and a good chump blocker. Life's finale sometimes better than blacksun cuz it kills wolfir silverheart and lets you see their deck and choose their worst threats and put them in grave.

tried torpor orb, mimic vat works better against pod decks and is really good against zombies as well, inkmoth is good but it is a little hard on the colors, I may put one or 2 in though, and yeah, that's why I have life's finale in the board Smile
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the bad mu's have been ramp, infect, and that mono G deck. I've made some adjustments accordingly though

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
1 [AVR] Island (3)
3 [NPH] Phyrexia's Core
4 [M13] Drowned Catacomb
4 [SOM] Blackcleave Cliffs
2 [M12] Dragonskull Summit
5 [SOM] Swamp (1)
4 [NPH] Mountain (2)

// Creatures
2 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
1 [SOM] Kuldotha Phoenix

// Spells
3 [MBS] Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
1 [SOM] Mindslaver
4 [MBS] Ichor Wellspring
2 [SOM] Mox Opal
3 [NPH] Mycosynth Wellspring
4 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
4 [M13] Trading Post
3 [MBS] Black Sun's Zenith
4 [SOM] Galvanic Blast
4 [NPH] Whipflare
2 [SOM] Tumble Magnet

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [SOM] Tumble Magnet
SB: 2 [ISD] Curse of Death's Hold
SB: 3 [NPH] Life's Finale
SB: 2 [SOM] Mimic Vat
SB: 2 [NPH] Phyrexian Metamorph
SB: 2 [M13] Cower in Fear
SB: 3 [AVR] Zealous Conscripts

only md change was trading the staff for a phoenix. Phoenix is also card advantage for this deck, but it is also a threat that is hard to deal with and he is clutch at dealing with planeswalkers.

as for the side board though there have been a great deal of changes. First off karn & phoenix got cut from the board in favor of conscripts which basically does everything karn does but better, and it's cheaper which is very important in those ramp and mono G match ups. These have been real all stars. The other thing that I have done is traded a curse and a lifes finale for 2 cower in fears for the infect matchup. Not only is it a cheap instant speed wrath against them but it is also one of the few ways to beat a nexus while they have wild defiance.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also it is important to note that the presence of conscripts also opens up the option of copying it with metamorph and then chaining it with trading posts allowing you to take and sacrifice their creatures for good card advantage. All you really need for this is either 2 posts or a post and a core.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1