Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono Black Midrange/control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Mono Black Midrange/control Reply with quote

MBC Midrange

Iíve been testing this deck on modo for 3 days solid now and am finally getting a bit bored of playing it so having absolutely nothing better to do this Sunday afternoon I figured I may as well right up what Iíve found about the deck. Below is the current version of the deck.

The deck

1 Dismember
3 Tragic slip
1 Doomblade
2 Ratchet bomb
3 Go for the throat
4 Sign in blood
4 Geralfs Messenger
4 Liliana of the Veil
3 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Mutilate
3 Phyrexian Obliterator
3 Batterskull
25 Swamps

sb
1 Swamp
4 Duress
2 Karn liberated
2 Solemn Simulacrum
2 Graffdiggers cage
2 Doomblade
1 Black suns Zenith
1 Curse of the Deathhold

Instead of exaplin why each card is in the deck I prefer to explain the evolution of the deck as I find this is the best way of getting the picture across. The deck started off much more controlling, it included grave titans and karn liberated main however early testing proved that they were often not relevant as they were either to slow or just overkill.

Early testing also revealed that like most MBC decks it has a vulnerability to artifacts and enchantments it can really do nothing about. My initial plan for this was karn but he proved to be too slow to handle what was mostly 2-3 mana equipments. So for this reason ratchet bomb was added to handle these and server as removal also, itís not a perfect solution but I believe itís the best solution out there. As most decks only run a light equipment package, 2 is more often than not enough of a card I do not really want to be playing but kind of warrants itís place out of necessity. There are other ways to handle equips also such as killing every creature your opponent tries to equip a creature to which also works between these two plans you handle most the problems, artfiacts and enchantments will throw at you in the format.

With these changes made test results started to prove very promising, any traditional aggro deck mono green, green red, tempered steel, ww all proved easy match ups. Delver is still as always a tough match up, I find the best way to play it early, is much the same way as you play rdw just do everything you can to prevent any point of damage going through as you never know with snapcaster and leak how much not killing something you could kill could cost you. The biggest problem card is Geist, you have Lillianís and mutilate to deal with them but that is the card you find hardest to handle if it lives to untap with mana leak back up your in trouble. The grow delver match ups are also tough match ups and often make for great games but they are certainly in your favour.

I was not expecting to win many control match ups with the new configuration but I was pleasantly surprised. A lot of the spot removal is good vs control, Geralfís messenger and liliana also proved to be great vs control. In fact Lilian proved to be an over performer in many match ups. Whilst vampire nighthawk was somewhat an underperform, along with batterskull resulting in a recent change of -1 vampire nighthawk +1 liliana of the veil. I was initially worried about the problem with multiple lilianas but it turned out I overlooked the fact you can just discard extra lilianas to herself if she sticks around. Another reason why I find control to infact be a reasonable match up was because of the sideboard strategy, of in 4 duress, 2 solemn simulacrum, 2 karn liberated, 1 swamp karn is very good at winning control mirrors by himself, even more so when paired with liliana, both are in fact great at winning control mirrors. Duress lets you get rid of the counters that stop you resolving karn. Probably the worst match up I have found for the deck is funnily enough battle of wits, there is little you can do about a turn 5 battle of wits with this deck or a turn 6, 7, the karn duress solemn plan makes things a bit better after board but not much.

As the deck stands now, I am very happy with it the only cards I do not like in the deck are the vampire nighthawks and the batterskulls. However I do not feel there is a better option at 3 than nighthawk that I am not already playing and I do not feel the deck needs more removal. Similarly with batterskull, as it provides a recurring threat I am reluctant to reduce the numbers, plus it is hard for both control and aggro to deal with though I am contemplating changing a batterskull for an obliterator, which I think then may allow me to cut a land and add a doomblade (though once again im not convinced this is a great addition as you may have picked up from what i said earlier). Iím just contemplating these changes atm as I am not thoroughly convinced enough that they will improve the deck.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record I'm uploading some video's on to youtube now off me playing the deck lol I've been that bored since uni finished. Need to get a job lmfao!
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tryed ravenous rats? if you don't like the hawks and the batterskulls (i understand why, they're good but in an aggro heavier deck), you could do -3 hawks, -1 batterskull, -1 swamp, +4 ravenous rats, +1 doom blade. imagine after sb duress, rats, lili and rats to chumpblock. although with rancor chumpblocking is less useful. but could be an option, don't you think?
GreenBear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I like that. Think I will try that out, I did not realize the rats were in standard so would never have thought of it. For the record i've gone minus a batterskull, minus a vampire nighthawk, minus a swamp plus three ravenous rats currently.
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how's this going? and something like +4 woodland cemetery, +2 evolving wilds, +1 forest, +1 or 2 silvok replica to deal with nasty permanents?
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing is going very well indeed, I have really good game vs any aggro deck which is most of the field atm. I do not think you can splash green though if you want to run mutilate.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1