Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

u/g dryad delver

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
yesm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: u/g dryad delver Reply with quote

This is one of the decks I've put together using M13 in standard. It's a blue green delver deck with all the usual cheap blue spells and cantrips. The green is for quirion dryad which grows really fast with all the good cheap blue cantrips, counters and vapor snag. Rancor (one of my all time favorite cards. so happy to see it get reprinted) is awsome to help apply more quick pressure and makes the invisible stalkers much more of a threat. It also makes the snapcaster mages more of a threat once they have done there thing getting card advantage from the graveyard and are just a 2/1 body. It's great to be able to play the rancor on a stalker against an untapped opponent and not have to worry about them killing it in responce. I haven't had a chance to do much testing yet but I'm always looking for thoughts/suggestions to try out on any deck I build. What are your guy's thoughts? Does the island to forest ratio look good considering there are only 7 green cards pre sb?

// Lands
2 [AVA] Cavern of Souls
9 [M11] Island (1)
6 [LRW] Forest (4)
4 [ISD] Hinterland Harbor

// Creatures
3 [ISD] Invisible Stalker
4 [PS] Quirion Dryad
4 [ISD] Snapcaster Mage
4 [ISD] Delver of Secrets/Insectile Aberration

// Spells
3 [DKA] Thought Scour
2 [ISD] Runechanter's Pike
3 [DDD] Rancor
4 [M10] Ponder
4 [M12] Mana Leak
4 [NPH] Vapor Snag
4 [NPH] Gitaxian Probe
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What made Gro good was Swords to Plowshares and Werebear. Delver and Werebear are probably similarly strong but Vapor Snag does not do the same job Swords did.

What I'd try is to cut the equipment rancor and Invisible Stalker for a 3rd color, red or black for removal.

maybe
-3 Invisible Stalker
-2 Runechanter's Pike
-3 Rancor
+4 Flaming Spear
+4 Thunderous Wrath

Without the Pikes, Thought Scour gets worse too so might as well do
-3 Thought Scour
+2 Huntmaster of the Fells
+1 Land
then.
JohnnyBravo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many Vapor Snag around, maybe you need Mental Misstep
Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to run it you def want 4x misstep. It's likely not that good in all actuality though. The card has the potential to be very powerful, and it's mana cost does lend it well to an aggressive deck but you also have to consider that:

A) the mana will not be ideal
B) dryad is very vulnerable
C) It likely still isn't as good of an option as restoration angel, or if you run equipment even stalker.

The last time I remember dryad being really good was in extended and it featured disrupting shoal and such.
SteveGoode

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been playing a list very similar to this with mixed results. mental misstep is definitely important if your going u/g as well as apostle's blessing idk if it should be 4 of either one main but atleast a 2/2 split of mental misstep and blessing. As bad as it sounds u may also wanna try artful dodge either out of the board or as 1 or 2 of main
SteveGoode

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also i played a u/g/w version with geist of saint traft in the trial the other day and i would say if i hadnt of got flooded two of the 3 games (i only played 18 land) im pretty sure i would have won atleast that match. the deck does have promise but i just havent figured out the correct build yet
yesm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cma- to add red to the deck would mean a mana base that Def couldn't support consistent turn one delvers. Also when I tested thunderous wrath I realized very quickly that its terrible. In a deck with 21 land trying to support 3 colors its gonna b a dead card on a regular basis. There's a reason y all of the miracles that r dead cards unless they r cast as a miracle don't see any play. The ones that do see play (bonfire, entreat, terminus) are still somewhat decent when in the opening hand. Either way I don't think adding red can b supported with the mana base.

A common theme of the advice people r giving about mental misteps r putting too much importance on protecting the dryad. All the blue spells that pump it up are in most delver decks anyway. Even if he is bounced he's still undercosted as a 3/3 for two. And if he's getting bounced that's a flipped delver not getting bounced. The point of this deck isn't to make a huge dryad and swing. It's to play undercosted creatures and play the tempo game. I'm not saying mental mistep is a bad card but I don't think its worth taking up a slot just because vapor snag exists in the format and could remove a couple counters from a dryad. Like I said its not like I added a bunch of cheap blue spells to try an grow dryads. I added dryad and Rancor to an already existing archetype because I think they have good synergy and through testing I will see if green has advantages over white in certain match ups. I know restoration angel and geist of saint traft are tough to beat though.
Yavimaya73

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a deck similar to this as well pretty much using the delver deck already out there, but changed a few cards around to add in the dryad and a couple of those legendary hexproof angels that protect you from sac effects...Quirion Dryad will be much more useful once the new Ravnica comes out I wager with all the multi colored cards. I can easily see a deck with multi colored instants for the delver which can also beef up dryad.
Roman_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

// NAME: U/G Delver

// Lands
12 [ISD] Island (1)
2 [DDE] Forest (1)
2 [AVR] Alchemist's Refuge
2 [M13] Evolving Wilds

// Creatures
4 [ISD] Snapcaster Mage
4 [10E] Quirion Dryad

// Spells
4 [NPH] Gitaxian Probe
2 [NPH] Gut Shot
4 [M12] Mana Leak
1 [NPH] Mutagenic Growth
3 [DKA] Thought Scour
4 [DDH] Vapor Snag
4 [M12] Ponder
1 [NPH] Dismember
4 [UL] Rancor

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [NPH] Gut Shot
SB: 3 [MBS] Sword of War and Peace
SB: 2 [NPH] Batterskull
SB: 4 [M12] Flashfreeze
SB: 3 [M13] Thragtusk
SB: 2 [M11] Negate
TacoMaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been building this ever since I saw Dryad was reprinted. It's not the most stable deck out there, but it can go REALLY big, really fast, which is sweet. I came up with this build. The Think Twice is nice for its ability to give you 2 shots for your Dryad/Talrand and something to do if they're durdling. I feel Dismember gives the deck more reach than jamming 4 Gut Shots, and the Darkslick Shores help lessen the burden of the Phyrexian mana for them. The sideboard is mostly just a bunch of random cards that I want to try out and see if they're good/if I want multiple copies. One final thought, I believe Rancor is necessary in the deck to get through tokens and such.

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Quirion Dryad
4 Snapcaster Mage
1 Talrand, Sky Summoner

3 Dismember
4 Gitaxian Probe
2 Gut Shot
4 Mana Leak
2 Mental Misstep
4 Ponder
3 Rancor
1 Think Twice
4 Vapor Snag

3 Cavern of Souls
3 Darkslick Shores
4 Forest
4 Hinterland Harbor
6 Island

Sideboard
2 Crushing Vines
2 Dissipate
1 Flash Freeze
1 Gut Shot
1 Mental Misstep
1 Naturalize
1 Negate
2 Phantasmal Image
1 Ranger's Guile
1 Surgical Extraction
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
1 Ulvenwald Tracker
pg8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think going all-in on Dryad + Talrand could get out of hand really quickly. As soon as I can get on MWS again, I'm going to start testing a build with 4 of each. And maybe Delver. Maybe.
yesm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After more testing this is the current build. Mental Misteps have made the cut. 2 for now, could cut to 1.

// Lands
6 [LRW] Forest (4)
9 [M11] Island (1)
2 [AVA] Cavern of Souls

// Creatures
4 [PS] Quirion Dryad
4 [ISD] Snapcaster Mage
2 [ISD] Invisible Stalker

// Spells
3 [NPH] Gitaxian Probe
4 [NPH] Vapor Snag
3 [M12] Mana Leak
4 [M10] Ponder
2 [DDD] Rancor
3 [DKA] Thought Scour
2 [ISD] Runechanter's Pike
2 [NPH] Mental Misstep
2 [NPH] Gut Shot
Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly believe not having missteps is a huge mistake in this meta. It not only protects the dryad and delver from lightning bolt and vapor snag, it also counters mana acceleration from the green decks and it counters ponders and delvers in the mirrors, all of which are huge gains for the deck.
yesm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what meta Dev is playing in but where im playing there are plenty of solid 1 drops in almost every deck worth a mental mistep or gut shot. I can make a great case for both cards but with snapcasters I would rather just have a 2/2 mix of both. A friend of mine ive been testing with a lot has been running a similiar deck to mine but with a talrand build instead of my pike/stalker/rancor build. so far in testing the talrand deck needs multiple mutagenic growths to protect talrand or its not really powerful enough as a 2/2 body as a 4 drop. What I have liked about my version is its ability to steal wins against faster decks with rancor/pikes that the talrand version just cant keep up with. in a slower meta the talrand version seems better, in a faster meta pike/rancor/stalker seems better. a week into the format as far as im concerned the meta is yet to be determined. We have a standard ptq in 2 weeks here on the island of oahu that will help clarify that.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1