Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soulbound

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can if you control it by some means such as Act of Treason. Other than that, it does specifically say "pair it with another creature you control".
GunsAndDope

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xJudicatorx wrote:
You can if you control it by some means such as Act of Treason. Other than that, it does specifically say "pair it with another creature you control".

Checking comp rules right now, but nowhere does it say "pair it with another creature you control".
GunsAndDope

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full text of soulbond

Quote:
702.93. Soulbond

702.93a. Soulbond is a keyword that represents two triggered abilities. "Soulbond" means "When this creature enters the battlefield, if you control both this creature and another creature and both are unpaired, you may pair this creature with another unpaired creature you control for as long as both remain creatures on the battlefield under your control" and "Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, if you control both that creature and this one and both are unpaired, you may pair that creature with this creature for as long as both remain creatures on the battlefield under your control."

702.93b A creature becomes "paired" with another as the result of a soulbond ability. Abilities may refer to a paired creature, the creature another creature is paired with, or whether a creature is paired. An "unpaired" creature is one that is not paired.

702.93c When the soulbond ability resolves, if either object that would be paired is no longer a creature, no longer on the battlefield, or no longer under the control of the player who controls the soulbond ability, neither object becomes paired.

702.93d A creature can be paired with only one other creature.

702.93e A paired creature becomes unpaired if any of the following occur: another player gains control of it or the creature it's paired with; it or the creature it's paired with stops being a creature; or it or the creature it's paired with leaves the battlefield.
GunsAndDope

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Soulbond" means "When this creature enters the battlefield, if you control both this creature and another creature and both are unpaired, you may pair this creature with another unpaired creature you control for as long as both remain creatures on the battlefield under your control"

Very good wizards, BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU WROTE ON THE F-ING CARD.

"You may pair this creature with another unpaired creature when either enters the battlefield." is what the card reads.

And if I would have finished reading it, the last line says "They remain paired for as long as you control both of them." Yeah, I need to work on my reading skills.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reminder of the cards alone would actually allow to pair with your opponents creatures even if it that bound is broken right away.
Thankfully there is no creature with a "if this gets paired..." triggered ability.
So even if you play only by the reminder on the card even if it is inaccurate you will end up with the exact same game state. A bond that never triggers at all or is broken right after established will almost every time be the same.

The correct answer is of course "no, you can't pair creatures controlled by different players."
Jacois

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the same thing, the reminder text was not very helpful. I wanted to use Wingcrafter with dumb cards like Plummet.
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminder text is not rules text. Reminder text is there to give you the basic idea of what the ability does. The keyword "Soulbond" represents 2 separate triggered abilities each 43 words long. And each creature with the ability has an additional ability about if it is paired. Putting the entire text of the ability on the card was not an option.

Also, this forum is not the place for complaining about WotC's reminder text templating.
chakal-PT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this situation,
I have a creature in play unpaired and with Soulbond, if I play a creature with Soulbond too, can I pair both of them gaining both abilities from each Soulbond?

Thanks for your help.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1