Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is your favorite memory of Magic: The Gathering?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite memory of Magic: The Gathering? Reply with quote

RThomas wrote:
Anything from play moments, to experiences, or people met.

Well?
When I was young (I mean really young) I went to Florida to visit my godmother and go to disneyworld. This was when Homelands was just coming out and fourth edition/Ice Age were hot and you could still talk people into playing for ante. I went to this cardshop and played the owner, his deck was white weenie (which was hot shit back then) savannah lions, swords, crusades, the knights from Fallen all that... My deck was UB based around counterspells, animate deads, discard, zypher falcons and unstable mutations... I asked him to play me for ante and he said he would feel bad taking my cards so we played a casual game and I whipped his ass with a zypher falcon and shit, then I was like can we play for ante now and he was like I have to get back to work (this was in a cardshop with like me and him only noon mid-week in the middle of spring).
RThomas
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, two experiences stick out clearly in my mind:

The first isn't really one experience, as a period of time, when I first got into Magic. Our group would pick someone's house and we'd play multiplayer games with a usual of 5 or 6 players. We thought that you could respond to tapping lands and that storm was all the spells in your turn and the turns before you. It was completely carefree, and we had an absolute blast every time.

The second was my first competitive tournament, SCG Chicago, July 2005. I had brought what was left of my playgroup to the tournament, and we had an incredible time. The highest point of the day was me beating Doug Linn (Hi-Val from SCG) in straight games, elevating me to 3-1 on the day.
zero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tempest block and later urza saga block, and my deck stompy in all your evolution playing rogue elephants winter orb and spectral bears since gaea's cradle, cursed scroll and rancor
FiReBLT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first PTQ at which I used a Big Red Deck that was copied from a boy in school and we were both in the final (by the way, I later found out HIS deck was a netdeck)

Anyway this guy thought he was God's gift to Magic, and he ripped off new players whenever he could, and i despised him.

This was very much a Grudge Match...

Anyway, we were both at 1-1 in the final match, and I was at 6, my opponent was at 15.

He attacked with the slogger, and i had 3 talismans and 3 mountains, putting me to 2.
He taps out to...Beacon of destruction me for the win!!!!

WAAAAIIITT!! IN RESPONSE!!!!

TRIPLE SHRAPNEL BLAST!!!!

He then proceeded to insist that he wouldn't tap out, he would tap only 1 mountain and slog me, but it was too late =)
Evilpopcorn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: First Big Win Reply with quote

Started playing mtg at the end of Mirrodin (Fith Dawn), and finally one my first big T2 event soon after Saviors was legal.

The coolest part was in my prizes i received one spanish booster, and beleive it or not my rare was an Exalted Angel.

Awsome ! Very Happy
Derek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElvishGod wrote:
Teaching friends to play...

Friend #1 (The "young and hyper" one): He was 2 years younger than me, but he was my most active magic friend. He played constantly. He caught on to the rules so fast. He made a few mistakes, but he fell in love with the game. He bought a snake deck, then bought full play sets of STE, Seshiro, Sasuke, Sachi, etc. etc. etc...

Friend #2 (The "weird" one): Well, he just couldn't learn the rules. He would tap his creatures when he blocked... He would block my fliers with his non-fliers... He would just do some plain stupid things... He'd throw in cards like Goblin Mountaineer in his deck and Fists of the Anvil... (he LOVED that one)...

Friend #3 (The "cool and crazy" one): Good times. He caught on fairly quick and got really into the game. It took him a few games to understand what was going on, but he learned fast, and read EVERY single card on the field when played... Whenever we finished a game, we fought and threw cards at each other and literally hurt each other. That was always our favorite part...

Friend #4 (The "nerdy" one): Well, guess what. Friend #2 taught this guy how to play originally. So I had to slap him around to not tap his blockers and learn to block and such. He bought a ninjitsu deck, and he had SUCH a hard time understanding that ability. (Not a good beginner's deck)...

Well, they were so much fun. How did they advance to today?

Friend #1: Well, he taught his mom to play and plays regularly with her. We play 3-player magic whenever I come over. I haven't seen him for a while, but I'm pretty sure he's still an active player. It is so funny when his mom beats him, which isn't very often.

Friend #2: Now he's a good magic player, but still makes mistakes fairly often. The main reason he wins is because of his kick-ass deck. He has an amazing goblin deck... Full sets of Recruiter, Ringleader, Prospector, and a few more... He has Sharpshooter and Charbelcher, too. Of course he beats my elf deck because of always getting Sharpshooter. (recruiter, ringleader) Now he plays a lot more rarely, but bought some ravnica cards, and I hope to convince him to play more soon.

Friend #3: Now he understands the rules almost perfectly, but he doesn't play... He plays rarely with me, but I think he's beyond the "nerdy" tcg. I think I can get him back into it. I reallllllly miss the post-magic fights.

Friend #4: He just got into it recently, so he still plays with me. Of course, his deck isn't that good and I have to fix it every time I see him. He keeps on throwing in Vizzerdrix, which I have a helluva time telling him it sucks. He puts in a bunch of bad cards, and I just keep on organizing his deck. Oh well, he needs a better deck. Ninjas suck.

And that's my story. Soo many good times, and I really need to get most of them back into it so they will play with me! Crying or Very sad

Maybe I could convince my girlfriend Very Happy But she'd probably dump me in a heartbeat. Crying or Very sad She's smart and really goofy usually, but she's still kinda punk and I know she'd hate it. Oh well, if only I had a time machine to test it. (I think I know, cuz when my last gf, along with friend #3's friend's gf, saw magic cards at friend #3's house, she was kinda skeptical, but she had NO idea what they really were, and I didn't bother telling here... If I did she would have dumped me... before I dumped her.)

Anywho, good times... good times.

I think you just spilled out your life story... Very Happy
authenticsim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm my favorite magic moment. Well I think it has to beone of two things. Drafting for my first time with my best friend. The cards were hers and I wasn't going to be getting any of them afterwards (although I did buy a few commons and uncommons) but actually drafting was relly fun. Oh and it was Betrayers/Saviors and we opened at least 4 cards worth over $5 including a Pithing Needle and Kagemaro.

The other was probably was the process of my UB control deck with jank cards becoming the Tog deck it is today. Note: I never used to read magic sites or anything about tournies and I started in Mirrodin so I was excited when I found out how well Tog and Upheaval worked together. I've never done any tournies so I don't have any tourney wins to boast, but playing with friends is fun enough.
syc22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to be my first wi at FNM. It was just after Kamigawa had come out and I was still using Mirrodin RDW, but it was solid save for only two copies of chrome mox. I went 5-1 that day and beat MUC to make top two, he got mana screwed two out of three games, so it wasn't a complete victory, but the one game he didn't was so awesome, it was hit after hit from an early Firewalker and then an Arc-Slogger fell through ftw.
MaximilianoX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting 14th out of 70-(something)th at my first PTQ with Dregatog. Almost made top 8

One day Ichorid-Zombie Infestation Deck, one day...
MaximilianoX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the double-post but just remembered something very mermorable

At the last T2 States we had my friend was playing R/G Wildfire and had to face against U/B Mill.

U/B Mill won Game 1

Second game

Seventh turn
It's my friends turn and has 1 card in hand with no lands in hand with eight lands and a sensei's divining top in play.

U/B Mill Player has 7 cards in hand, 5 are lands, with six lands in play with an island and a watery grave untapped.

My friend casts Wildfire.

The U/B Mill player responds with a TWINCAST taking out eight lands for each player!

Many turns go by and my friend doesn't draw a land while the U/B Mill player is dropping a land each turn.

And to add insult to injury he clutch of the undercity's my friends top, making him tap it in response.

If you could understand he my friend got pretty pissed.

U/B Mill 2-0
Vodka_drink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two things...getting high with my buddys and playing magic from 12:00pm-4:000am....wow...

and when i lived in Germany(im irsh though) i used to be a regular at a card shop that Kai Budde played in also as a regular ...we were pretty good buddies...as a result we still keep in touch..its awesome

getting my playset of power 9 from a garage sale for 5.00 dollars...so sexy

mist
Kholdstare

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ritual necro go.....

at pt columbus i was playing against some dude from germany and he played a kegia. i destroyed the keiga...and then played a keiga of my own...which was really sweet

i was playing sligh at pt columbus (side event) against a rdw which was much better than mine. after i beat this kid 2-0 he called my deck crap and then i said "ohhh...so i beat you with skill...i see i see" bottle gnomes sb tech fools
h0m3r

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a couple...

my first thought-about deck i built (blue/black traumatize guiltfeeder), this was of course at the time when i could have played psychatog. i took it to a local tournament (my first one) and proceeded to get cheated against in one round where my opponent looked at my deck while shuffling, and cheated out of a win in the last round when i thought a 1-0 win didn't count so i signed the match slip as draw. of course my opponent didn't mention i had the win. i still managed 3-2-1 though Wink

my first tournament victory in the time when most of my local players were still playing homebrews (before we all started reading about magic on the internet). i played mono-black equipment with grinning demons, soul collectors, and specters with nightmare lash and loxodon warhammer

the first time i top 8-ed a large tournament with elf and nail (funnest deck to play ever)

winning various crappy fun tourneys my friends organised (including the crap rare draft and highlander), winning such prizes as a tundra cavu that got washed in some jeans.
scurvy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Grand Prix, GP: Minneapolis.

I'd been playing draft and constructed for about a year, and had won some byes with a lucky showing at a 35-man trial. I didn't think I could stand up to the travelling professionals or have a chance at making Top 8, but with three byes I thought I had a decent shot of making day 2 and playing with the big boys. My Kamigawa Block deck had other ideas; apparently a mono-black version of Budde Kite Control couldn't buy a game versus White Weenie (despite my maindeck Kagemaros and Exile into Darkness tech) and had serious trouble finishing on time versus any Gifts-based control, so I went 2-2-1 and missed out on breakers for Day 2. Scrubtastic.

A lot of pros showed up that day, and watching ELevin, GWalls, Gadiel, Osyp, de Rosa, Hoaen, Noah Weil, Gerry Thompson and the immortal Ken Bearl play in ordinary matches was worth the price of admission. I know there were others I didn't get to see and wished I could have. They cracked jokes to each other and gave each other crap; I watched Osyp chew out a local Reanimator player for dragging out game 3 and refusing to concede, knocking them both out of contention. A local friend of mine who made day 2 with WW sold three Kamigawa block draft sets to GWalls for $270, who brought out a fat roll of cash fresh from his money finish at the World Series of Poker. It felt like meeting legends in a way--I only ever saw these people on webcasts or match reports on the Wizards site, but they were what kept the international game alive and it was happening in front of me.

I promised my friends I would show up for the Day 2 PTQ, but I couldn't fix the deck's WW machup (or I just sucked) and went 0-2-drop. A friend of mine talked me into the 32-man random pack draft starting in the back; the top 8 was going to include a pack of unopened Antiquities but I was perfectly fine with having some fun by that point.

I drafted a sick W/R evasion with three Opal Gargoyles, Power Matrix, Warrior Angel, Path of Peace and Heat Ray as notable hits. Not everything in the deck was amazing, but I'll never forget the look on my opponent's face after dropping turn 2 Gargoyle, turn 3 Gargoyle, turn 4 Gargoyle + Goblin War Buggy versus his empty board. He shook his head and said to his friend, "Why did I have to get paired versus the fastest deck at the table?"

I was 3-0 when I got paired with Antonino de Rosa, who had apparently not made day 2 with some of his friends. We were guaranteed a spot in the top 8 and drew in, but I can't tell you how much I wanted to play with the confidence of my deck behind me. Just to see, you know? Especially after he won Nationals that year--I could have bought some serious bragging rights.

The top 8 draft was Saga/Tempest/Antiquities, so my W/R creature quality sucked and I thought the deck was stains, but apparently everyone else's deck sucked way worse because I won all my matches and the store credit. Knight of Dawn was my hero in the creature-poor format, surviving just about everything around, which made me feel better for first-picking it over Flowstone Dragon and later moving into the same color.

I didn't get to face De Rosa myself the way I wanted to, but I could finally buy those last two Cranial Extractions I'd been waiting for, and kept a pair of Antiquities Millstones for my trouble. I walked out of the tourney site having won something, but I also felt like I was playing the same game as the pros for the first time, like I was part of something really big. I can't afford real cards very often and can rarely travel to large tournaments, so the opportunity to play at a local event with nationwide draw was priceless.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3