Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What the crap, Wizards?


Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
Author Message
thedarkness



Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 580

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: What the crap, Wizards? Reply with quote

Okay. So. What the fuck at ALL of these.

Ancestral Vision
Bitterblossom
Blazing Shoal
Cloudpost
Green Sun's Zenith
Mental Misstep
Ponder
Preordain
Punishing Fire
Rite of Flame
Sensei's Divining Top
Wild Nacatl

What the fuck at BOTH of these...

Dread Return
Golgari Grave-Troll

AND what the fuck at both of these.

Stoneforge Mystic
Sword of the Meek

I mean..really? I can SORT of buy banning Affinity, but they just picked cards that fuck over decks that did well for a while. And Faeries. WHY. I mean, I hate Faeries super-hard, but banning half the deck isn't a solution!

AND WHY NACATL? WHAT ARE THEY SMOKING OVER THERE?

KLSDFGJKLSDGKLNSDFGRKLNSDKLMDGSFB.
Back to top
magicman85



Joined: 22 Aug 2009
Posts: 555

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solution: Play Vintage.
Back to top
doc_morriar



Joined: 15 May 2008
Posts: 82

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good rant
Back to top
thedarkness



Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 580

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doc_morriar wrote:
good rant
I know, right? And see, it's a rant about Modern, so I put it in the Modern forum. See? See what I did thar? o_o
Back to top
center
Level 1 Judge


Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 440

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poison deck and post deck needed to die.

The others were to ensure that the format didn't resemble legacy, old extended or anything in between.
Back to top
thedarkness



Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 580

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

center wrote:
The poison deck and post deck needed to die.

The others were to ensure that the format didn't resemble legacy, old extended or anything in between.
I wish they would ban Frogmite, Enforcer, Disciple, and Ravager, and unban the lands. I want to be able to build Modern KCI. Sad
Back to top
center
Level 1 Judge


Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 440

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I'm not really sure how much better the affinity deck would be with the lands.

edit: affinity doesn't really play any of those cards except Ravanger the last time I played this format... so yeah
Back to top
thedarkness



Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 580

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

center wrote:
yeah I'm not really sure how much better the affinity deck would be with the lands.

edit: affinity doesn't really play any of those cards except Ravanger the last time I played this format... so yeah
Wait..there's an affinity deck?
Back to top
struikje



Joined: 11 Mar 2011
Posts: 108

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes there's affinity, it can be good.

Wizards banned alot of those cards because they didn't want the decks that dominated standard/extended (Stonefoge/dredge cards/sword of the meek/valakut/bitterblossom, to be all over modern again, they wanted a new format (and succeeded). Top is banned because of countertop, and it made lots of matches go to time.

Mistep is just because it was a mistake for them to print it. They also don't want any degenerate combo decks that can win on turn 3, and after protour Philly, it was obvious that rite of flame was the best ritual, and ponder/preordain helped both the storm deck as it did splinter twin, 2 of the best decks at the time. Blazing shoal was a turn 2 win often, as you can pitch a progenitus to pump your attacking inkmoth nexus. The 12 Post deck was with cloudpost waaay to strong, so they banned it aswell.

Green sun's zenith was in the bigger zoo decks both a llanowar elve as it got you your dryad arbor turn 1, a threat (goyf/knight ot reliquary) later in the game, a tutor for pridemage/gaddock teeg, which you could play 1 ofs. It was a toolbox to big for modern, not to mention the redundancy in melira pod.

After those bans, both zoo with nacatl and punishing fire made it impossible for you to play any different aggro deck. In todays modern, you still got combo, (splinter twin, melira pod), aggro (mostly boros, affinity (blue/red), zoo), ramp (RG Breach Tron), control (UW Tron), Burn, ....

The format is very open, no tactic is incredibly overpowered, and the format doesn't require you to play either faerie or anti faerie.
Back to top
thedarkness



Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 580

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

struikje wrote:
yes there's affinity, it can be good.

Wizards banned alot of those cards because they didn't want the decks that dominated standard/extended (Stonefoge/dredge cards/sword of the meek/valakut/bitterblossom, to be all over modern again, they wanted a new format (and succeeded). Top is banned because of countertop, and it made lots of matches go to time.

Mistep is just because it was a mistake for them to print it. They also don't want any degenerate combo decks that can win on turn 3, and after protour Philly, it was obvious that rite of flame was the best ritual, and ponder/preordain helped both the storm deck as it did splinter twin, 2 of the best decks at the time. Blazing shoal was a turn 2 win often, as you can pitch a progenitus to pump your attacking inkmoth nexus. The 12 Post deck was with cloudpost waaay to strong, so they banned it aswell.

Green sun's zenith was in the bigger zoo decks both a llanowar elve as it got you your dryad arbor turn 1, a threat (goyf/knight ot reliquary) later in the game, a tutor for pridemage/gaddock teeg, which you could play 1 ofs. It was a toolbox to big for modern, not to mention the redundancy in melira pod.

After those bans, both zoo with nacatl and punishing fire made it impossible for you to play any different aggro deck. In todays modern, you still got combo, (splinter twin, melira pod), aggro (mostly boros, affinity (blue/red), zoo), ramp (RG Breach Tron), control (UW Tron), Burn, ....

The format is very open, no tactic is incredibly overpowered, and the format doesn't require you to play either faerie or anti faerie.
...this was a very reasonable argument. Fair enough.

Though I'd still like to see the lands unbanned.
Back to top
NearSideMoon



Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 65

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbanning the Dark Depths would enable the Hex Mage-Depths deck, which was dominant in Old Extended (green variants now, mostly, because Thopter - Sword isn't legal)

If Valakut was Legal, than Titan Ramp decks would have the near-same inevitability that the TwelvePost decks did, and allowing for Turn 3 or 4 kills with Scapeshift or Breaching the Titan.

Unbanning Artifact lands would, aside from Ancient Tomb, allow you to build Legacy Affinity card-for-card, which would war Modern's field drastically.
Back to top
thedarkness



Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 580

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NearSideMoon wrote:
Unbanning the Dark Depths would enable the Hex Mage-Depths deck, which was dominant in Old Extended (green variants now, mostly, because Thopter - Sword isn't legal)

If Valakut was Legal, than Titan Ramp decks would have the near-same inevitability that the TwelvePost decks did, and allowing for Turn 3 or 4 kills with Scapeshift or Breaching the Titan.

Unbanning Artifact lands would, aside from Ancient Tomb, allow you to build Legacy Affinity card-for-card, which would war Modern's field drastically.
I'm familiar with the Dark Depths deck and the Valakut deck. That's why those cards aren't on my list of question marks.

And I did suggest banning other cards instead of the lands to keep affinity in check. Artifact lands enabled interesting, but not overpowered, decks. My favorite was Cogs. I just think if they want to stop *Affinity* they can do it without killing Cogs and Eggs.

Edit: As if removing the eggs from the format doesn't kill Sunny-Side Up anyway. Sad
Back to top
thedarkness



Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 580

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly though, I don't get the hate on Dredge. Without the pre-Mirrodin accelerants, it's just..not that strong. o_o
Back to top
NearSideMoon



Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 65

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedarkness wrote:
Honestly though, I don't get the hate on Dredge. Without the pre-Mirrodin accelerants, it's just..not that strong. o_o


Wizards policy is better safe than sorry. I think that's why they banned Ancestral Visions.

But you could conceivably make colorless Dredge (just choose to draw and discard on turn 1) or using Faithless Looting.

Well, either that or Wizards was pressured by the DCI to make sure Dredge never returns. Nobody really has fun playing against Dredge (unless you're hand is Leyline, Crypt, Force, Force. Yeah...)=w=.
Back to top
thedarkness



Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 580

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NearSideMoon wrote:
thedarkness wrote:
Honestly though, I don't get the hate on Dredge. Without the pre-Mirrodin accelerants, it's just..not that strong. o_o


Wizards policy is better safe than sorry. I think that's why they banned Ancestral Visions.

But you could conceivably make colorless Dredge (just choose to draw and discard on turn 1) or using Faithless Looting.

Well, either that or Wizards was pressured by the DCI to make sure Dredge never returns. Nobody really has fun playing against Dredge (unless you're hand is Leyline, Crypt, Force, Force. Yeah...)=w=.
Actually, I'm pretty sure they banned Ancestral Visions because it was the best 1-drop for Faeries, and what better way to hose Faeries than banning its engine AND its ability to refill its hand on turn 4?
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All content on this page may not be reproduced without consent of Magic-League Directors.
Magic the Gathering is TM and copyright Wizards of the Coast, Inc, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved.


About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy