Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UW Tempo Humans/Delver

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: UW Tempo Humans/Delver Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
3 [M12] Plains (2)
4 [M12] Island (3)
2 [ISD] Moorland Haunt
4 [AVR] Cavern of Souls
4 [M12] Glacial Fortress
4 [SOM] Seachrome Coast

// Creatures
4 [ISD] Delver of Secrets/Insectile Aberration
4 [ISD] Champion of the Parish
4 [ISD] Snapcaster Mage
3 [AVR] Tandem Lookout
3 [AVR] Silverblade Paladin

// Spells
4 [NPH] Vapor Snag
4 [DKA] Gather the Townsfolk
4 [M12] Ponder
3 [NPH] Gitaxian Probe
4 [8E] Mana Leak
2 [DKA] Thought Scour

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [MBS] Divine Offering
SB: 2 [NPH] Gut Shot
SB: 2 [SOM] Revoke Existence
SB: 1 [M12] Timely Reinforcements
SB: 2 [M12] Celestial Purge
SB: 3 [M10] Flashfreeze
SB: 3 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
SB: 1 [NPH] Sword of War and Peace

cmc=0

3 gitaxian probe: I feel like a lot of people look at probe wrong, they think of it as way to play around your opponents removal and such however this is not how you want to use probe. The way you want to be using probe is as a predictive tool, a great deal of the time you can use your probe to predict exactly how your opponent will play their next three turns. This format is currently defined by what I call "script decks" which are basically decks that are looking to follow a 3 turn script as soon as they draw their opener. This lets you steal their script

cmc=1

4 champion of the parish/4 delver of secrets: these two are essential to the deck. Being able to rely on 8 1 drops that are exceptionally aggressive is what attracts me to this strategy in the first place. You get a "Nuts Draw" very frequently with so many wild nacatles.

4 ponder/2 thought scour: ponder is the premier 1cmc card selection card for the format which is important in a deck with a low curve and 21 lands, thought scour is cantrip 5-6 that also fuels morland haunt and snapcaster mage

4 vapor snag: works as semi removal to help you keep the pressure up even though it is only temporary the one turn that it buys you is incredibly relevent when you are attacking for 6 damage a turn. On a side note, vapor snag is also great at breaking up soul bonds

2cmc:

4 gather the townsfolk: Plays nicely with both champion, delver, and snapcaster mage and adds a decent amount of pressure

4 snapcaster mage: 2 mana, 2 power, flash, flexible card advantage, human....so many good things! I love this card so much

4 mana leak: mana leak usually has 2 roles, 1. To help me press my advantage with my creatures or 2. Stop my opponent from destroying my board. I used to have 2 main and 2 side, but they have proven to be incredibly useful, even against other delver style decks

3cmc:

3 Silverblade Paladin: very efficient & powerful human, he works a lot like a wolfir silverheart in this deck but he's cheaper and a human. He is very good at putting your threats out of trading range and cutting your opponents clock in half

3 tandem lookouts: Personally I think this is one of the most unappreciated cards in the format. That is probably because the impact this card has on the field is very subtle but significant. 1st of all you can pair this with your biggest creature and that forces your opponent to enter chump blocking mode on your biggest creature much earlier then they would want too gaining you card advantage without you needing to draw cards, another use is to pair him with a weaker creature when you opponent only leaves back one blocker, suddenly your opponent is forced with the choice of taking a lot more damage then they want, or give me card advantage. Another way to use him is to pair him with your delver, giving you a large flying ophidian. The last way I like to use him is as a 2 card combo with silverblade. If I can control the game up to the point where I can connect with this combo once, then I will be drawing 3-5 cards a turn (including the draw step) giving me soooooo much gas to close out the game. At his worst, he is an ophidian that has 2 power and will die allowing you to get in with your larger threat. Basically this card does a lot, but it's very challenging to use properly. (oh he's a human too).
pg8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest downside to Tandem Lookout is that he's a 3-mana creature that isn't named Geist of St. Traft.
GDP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is really no reason to be running any copies of Thought Scour in this deck before you max out on Probes. Also, needs more removal (Gut Shot/Dismember), especially because whats the point of drawing with Scout if its not action cards, drawing more dudes doesn't really help you close games that well.
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pg8 wrote:
The biggest downside to Tandem Lookout is that he's a 3-mana creature that isn't named Geist of St. Traft.

i think it's the paladin what should be changed for the geist. with geist you get to maximize tandem lookout better than with the paladin, giving your 4/4 flyer ophidian's ability.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

judas_bcn wrote:
pg8 wrote:

i think it's the paladin what should be changed for the geist. with geist you get to maximize tandem lookout better than with the paladin, giving your 4/4 flyer ophidian's ability.

I like that idea actually, silverblade has not been as awesome as I would have liked, here is the updated list so far

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
3 [M12] Plains (2)
4 [M12] Island (3)
2 [ISD] Moorland Haunt
4 [AVR] Cavern of Souls
4 [M12] Glacial Fortress
4 [SOM] Seachrome Coast

// Creatures
4 [ISD] Delver of Secrets/Insectile Aberration
4 [ISD] Champion of the Parish
4 [ISD] Snapcaster Mage
3 [AVR] Tandem Lookout
3 [ISD] Geist of Saint Traft

// Spells
4 [NPH] Vapor Snag
3 [DKA] Gather the Townsfolk
4 [M12] Ponder
4 [NPH] Gitaxian Probe
4 [8E] Mana Leak
2 [NPH] Dismember

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [MBS] Divine Offering
SB: 2 [NPH] Gut Shot
SB: 2 [SOM] Revoke Existence
SB: 1 [M12] Timely Reinforcements
SB: 2 [M12] Celestial Purge
SB: 3 [M10] Flashfreeze
SB: 3 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
SB: 1 [NPH] Sword of War and Peace
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things, I see what your doing with the humans and the caverns but be aware it creates a few problems. For example you have only 8 ways of playing ponder turn 1 with your current mana set up which is not enough. The six colourless lands in your deck, means you are almost playing a 19 land deck as almost any hand with just a combination of cavern and moorland haunt is unkeepable regardless of ponder thought scour probe.

I like the idea of tandem lookout, if i was going to play him I would certainly want to try it out with invisible stalker and a swords package main deck. I would probably drop the gather and champion for this, as it will allow you cut back on caverns reducing the problems it creates and also because gather is pretty weak as a spell with out a champion already.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredByron wrote:
A few things, I see what your doing with the humans and the caverns but be aware it creates a few problems. For example you have only 8 ways of playing ponder turn 1 with your current mana set up which is not enough. The six colourless lands in your deck, means you are almost playing a 19 land deck as almost any hand with just a combination of cavern and moorland haunt is unkeepable regardless of ponder thought scour probe.

I like the idea of tandem lookout, if i was going to play him I would certainly want to try it out with invisible stalker and a swords package main deck. I would probably drop the gather and champion for this, as it will allow you cut back on caverns reducing the problems it creates and also because gather is pretty weak as a spell with out a champion already.

I'm liking the idea, i'll be testing it out a bit in my spare time, it may end up just being a good SB tactic for a delver deck to put pressure on a control deck.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1