Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work in progress 4 colour abundant aggro

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Work in progress 4 colour abundant aggro Reply with quote

Hi I have been working on the list for a short while now on modo and early testing has been very promising. The lynch pin to the deck is abundant growth, plus birds of paradise which allows you to create a 4 colour deck (when i say 4 I mean 3 splashing souls) that infact has a better mana base than many 2 colour decks in the format, plus play a bunch of powerful spells togther that you would not normally be able to do.

The mana and fixing

4 rootbound crag
4 sunpetal grove
4 ravor verge thicket
4 copper line gorge
8 Forest
4 abundant growth
4 birds of paradise

Here i'm going to talk about the mana a little more as it is the main selling point of the deck. Firstly every source in my deck can produce green mana the main colour of the deck, this will reduce mulliganing and increase consistency. Then I have 14 sources of of both red and white, treating bop (as 1/2 a mana souce as conventional wisdom does) and 6 sources to splash back lingering souls. Abundant growth is extra special in this department also, as the cantriping helps not only fix mana but smooth draws.

Another point I think fits best here is that by creating a curve that relies less heavily on mana dorks as i have done, you reduce vunerability to wrath effects, often all value gained out of them through geist is lost due to losing 2 mana dorks you needed to cast spells in a timely manner, when you are playing 7-8 dorks.

The actual meat of the deck

2 Gather the towns folk
2 Mayor of Avabruck
2 Incinerate
4 Strangleroot geist
4 Wolfir avenger
4 Lingering souls
2 Oblivion Ring
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
3 Hellrider
2 Hero of Blade hold
1 Thrun the last troll
1 Devils play

The main attraction of the deck is the ability to play, strangleroot geist, lingering souls and hellrider in the same deck. The deck is fast, with multiple threats with haste and hellrider plus the small burn package provide a lot of range. gesit plus souls and thrun and sword give the control decks a hard time. Plus also often when they tap out for a titan or such as they often do, you can drop a hellrider and simply burn them out.

The weakest testing cards in the deck are mayor of avabruck which only really work in conjuction, with wolfir avenger or hero, or when drawn in tandem with gather the townsfolk. Similary gather the townsfolk is the card i am most unhappy with in the deck, yet i can not find anything better to put in its slot on the curve, as a mix of this and major is better than a dedication solely to one or the other, as they actually work well together. Thrun has also not really pulled his weight and i am considering replacing him with a 4th hellrider, however, im worried that having 4rr cards in the deck would make me more vulnerable to hand where i have 2 hellriders and only one red source which does come up from time to time.

Sb im still getting a feel for the meta game so not a cemnted sideboard yet

4 celestail purge (rdw, zombies)
1 devils play (control as not much cunter magic arround atm)
1 incinerate (aggro decks with wolfir)
2 mental mistep (delver)
3 Naturalize (pod heartless summoning swords)
1 oblivion ring (pw based decks, pod, summoning, swords)
1 Sword of Body and Mind (other green based aggro)
1 Timely reinforcements (rdw)
1 zealos conscripts (ramp decks)
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you sure are a talkative bunch.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully they are all at 4 so its not 2 much of an issue as the double gg cards can never be an issue so that leaves me with 5 cards at the top of curve that can be an issue.

Frankly I've never been a fan of hunt master but, I suppose I should give him a try.

Hellrider has tested as one of the strongest cards in the deck, I managed to win through a heartless summoning deck resolving 4 sphinx of the unthun 2 being phantasmal images thanks to hellrider, also one me some very tight games vs pod.

Saying that though i just lost 2 miracle.dec i got time walked turn 2 game 3, time walked again turn 5 and time walked twice more through out the match what a terrible mechanic. Then I lost 2 mono black infect and decided to take a break as that deck is awful:<
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha i don't know about the winners table in constructed these days i do not play much constructed, more of a limited man just dabble in constructed when formats are young and open to a bit of creativity. I have not ran into many timely reinforcements in my testing yet, so that is certainly something to keep in mind if i find it becoming a issue. Sideboard option certainly.
gobbuman

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played around with this deck a lil yesterday and i agree the gather the townsfolks & Mayor are pretty underwhelming. Currently testing with 3 x Jade Mage & and one more Hellrider / Hero of Bladehold.
Isn't too bad. Still underwhelming just not as much as it was.
Just a thought
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a better 2 drop than those 2 options would be great, geist is so good but the other two really do not impress. I suspect jade mage will be to slow for the format.

Maybe it could be a case of just playing 2 green suns zenith (excepting zenith for 1 as a legit turn 2 play), a pilgrim at 1 and another hero as 4. AS that card does work very sweetly with hellrider and vice versa.

TBH things have gone down hill since the early testing and im begging to not like the deck.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1