Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Permanents with "sacrifice" abilities

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
ransom3

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Permanents with "sacrifice" abilities Reply with quote

If I have a card in play with an activated ability that requires sacrificing a permanent of some sort as part of its cost (for example, Volrath's Curse), can I sacrifice that card to pay the cost of its own ability?

If I can do this, will the activated ability of Volrath's Curse still trigger?

Thanks everyone!
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First: Activated abilities do not trigger, they become activated.

As long as the permanent fulfills the requirements of the cost, yes you can sacrifice a permanent to its own ability. For example Nantuko Husk.

The curse is a bad example, since you will normally not enchant your own permanent with it.
ransom3

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast reply and for the clarification! Just to be clear, let's try a better example: Infernal Tribute. If I sacrifice it to pay part of the cost of its activated ability, I would still be allowed to draw a card, correct?
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you would draw a card.
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Permanents with "sacrifice" abilities Reply with quote

ransom3 wrote:
If I have a card in play with an activated ability that requires sacrificing a permanent of some sort as part of its cost (for example, Volrath's Curse), can I sacrifice that card to pay the cost of its own ability?

If I can do this, will the activated ability of Volrath's Curse still trigger?

Volrath's Curse only has one activated ability, "1U: Return Volrath's Curse to its owner's hand."

The ability that prevents the creature from attacking, blocking or activating its abilities and lets you sacrifice a permanent to ignore the effect (all of this is one single ability) is a static ability, not an activated ability.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1