Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wolf Runs White

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks
NearSideMoon

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Wolf Runs White Reply with quote

This is the Wolf Run deck I've been using for the past few days.

5 Forests
5 Plains
1 Mountain

4 Razorverge Thicket
4 Sunpetal Grove
3 Cavern of Souls

2 Inkmoth Nexus
2 Kessig Wolf Run

Total: 26 lands

4 Primeval Titan
4 Solemn Simulacrum
3 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite

Total: 11 Creatures

4 Rampant Growth
4 Sphere of the Suns
4 Day of Judgment
3 Oblivion Ring
3 Timely Reinforcements

1 Entreat the Angels
1 Terminus

3 Gideon Jura

Total: 23 other spells and permanents

There are a few reasons why I chose the White version over the more consistently tested (and perhaps more aggressive) Red variants.

The primary reason is Elesh Norn. She's strictly an improvement over Inferno Titan against Aggro or Creature decks, although coming down for an extra mana. Her ability to crusade my team becomes relevant when factoring in Inkmoth Nexus. Because she immediately clears the board against X/R decks, she in turn makes you more resilient against Zealous Conscripts. Although she doesn't allow for complete blow-out victories in 1 or 2 attack phases like Inferno Titan sometimes does, she makes for a far better creature to stabilize the board, and in a deck with inevitability, that's really what I'd prefer.

The second reason to run White is Day of Judgment. In terms of sweepers, this card has become far more significant. With Humans decks running Hero of Bladehold and Angelic Destiny, and R/G Aggresive decks running Wolfir Silverheart and four copies of Sword of War and Peace, Slagstorm very often cannot clear their biggest or more important threats. Day of Judgment clears without question, save against regenerators (which Slagstorm cannot destroy either), and in a Standard format where Aggressive strategies are tuning themselves to combat Red sweepers, it makes a big difference.

By choosing white, however, many very good red cards are left on the sidelines. Staple creatures like Huntmaster of the Fells, or cheaper creature removal spells like Pillar of Flame, Galvanic Blast, and most importantly, I think, Whipflare, can't be fit in. Also, notice how my build has no Green Sun's Zenith. Now I find I can't run Birds of Paradise or Acidic Slime, two creatures I find are only truly good when they can be tutored by a Zenith. We need to find replacements in White for these important spells.

3 Gideon Jura, 3 Timely Reinforcements: These do the job of stabilizing the board before you hit 6 or 7. Both Timely and Gideon can stabilize 'better' than a Huntmaster could, but neither are as Aggressive. Gideon can't kill a creature, make another creature, or attack for damage all at once. But he stalls spectacularly, and not being as vulnerable to burn means he'll stick around against those decks. He's also a spectacular alternate win condition against decks that cannot destroy things without damage. Timely comes down for 1 less mana than Huntmaster, and while it may only stall, it does so wonderfully. It also lets you get out of the range of burn, even multiple burn spells. I feel these two seperately do a wonderful job of replacing Huntmaster.

3 Oblivion Ring, 1 Terminus: The one-off Terminus is there because I wanted A.) a fifth sweeper effect, and B.) a way to deal with Strangleroot Geist boards, Wolfir Avenger boards, or Blood Artist boards. When you draw it early, it's a 6-mana sweeper that could potentially return their Bird + Geist or such if Miracled. It's still in testing, but so far, I like it so much I sideboard in a second one. The three Rings are the spot removal. While very slow and very clunky, especially against decks that board in Naturalize or have Rings of their own, it deals with their creatures, regardless of size or ability (sans Hexproof.) It also has far more versatility. Wolf Run Red pre-board usually has no way to deal with an enemy colored Sword, a Batterskull, or an Oblivion Ring on my Titan. Having my own Rings to fight against their Rings, and their big creatures.

As for the other choices, I think they're standard. 4 Spheres, 4 Growths, and 4 Simulacrums are standard fare in Wolf Run Ramp. 3 Caverns, calling Giant, Praetor, and even Golem a fare number of times. Only 2 Inkmoths, to go along with 2 Kessig Wolf Runs and the 1 Mountain for that. The only other glaring thing is Entreat the Angels, which I am using as a replacement for White Sun's Zenith. Entreat does around the same job, is less versatile because of Sorcery speed, but leads to bigger blow-outs thanks to Miracle. Even just 1 4/4 Angel can race the opponent, or do a magnificent job blocking flyers or Geists of St. Traft.

Sideboard:

3 Surgical Extraction
3 Glimmerpost
2 Karn Liberated
2 Garruk, Primal Hunter
2 Naturalize
2 Beast Within
1 Terminus

The big things that stand out with this sideboard are the Glimmerposts. Those are there for testing purposes, since I've seen some builds of Wolf Run run them over Cavern of Souls. They do help a great deal against the Aggro matches, since Titan can now pull you out of range of dying if you took too long to resolve it. The reason I don't want them main deck is because the aggro match-up is already 'supposed' to be good (because of Gideon and Timely) so giving up Caverns advantages against U/X Delver or Control decks seems unnecessary. Regardless, I have seen their application so I'm trying them out. The rest is common, siding mostly for the control match-up, leaving only three cards in the sideboard for aggro matches (Terminus and Naturalizes.) Surgical Extraction is a concession to the M-L meta, which plays Solar Flare. Cards I feel I need are the 3rd naturalize (because the deck has no Ancient Grudge) and a Celestial Purge.

Anyway, that's my Wolf Run White deck. Feel free to give your opinions.
NearSideMoon

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I apologize in advance if this comes off as long winded or preachy. I only just realized myself how long it ended up being.
Spyx

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need 4 entreat the angels. It's basically just broodmate dragon which is pretty good already and if you ever miracle it you just win.
EMA

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I've been testing something similar for ptqing, I ended up cutting the gideons and the miracles in favor of Sigardas, batterskulls and GSZ with a few one ofs (BoP, slime, huntmasters and borderland ranger).
I also hated timelys all the time, they didn't do enough in any matchup RG aggro included, moved them to the sb where you have a better shot at killing equipment.
Cavern of souls is sb material I'm afraid, it's crucial to beat delver but glimmerpost just does much more in every other matchup as well as the nexi. My current maindeck titan target config is 3 nexi, 1 wolf run, 4 glimmerpost, not sure if this is optimal.
This is currently what I am running, I'd like to add another wrath effect but idk what to cut.

4 Sphere of the Suns
4 Rampant Growth
4 Solemn Simulacrum
3 Oblivion Ring
3 Day of Judgment
2 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
2 Sigarda, Host of Herons
4 Primeval Titan
4 Sunpetal Grove
1 Mountain
5 Forest
4 Plains
4 Razorverge Thicket
3 Inkmoth Nexus
1 Kessig Wolf Run
1 Huntmaster of the Fells
2 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Acidic Slime
4 Glimmerpost
2 Batterskull
1 Borderland Ranger

SB: 2 Zealous Conscripts
SB: 3 Cavern of Souls
SB: 2 Karn Liberated
SB: 2 Timely Reinforcements
SB: 2 Ray of Revelation
SB: 2 Ancient Grudge
SB: 2 Faith's Shield
GreenBear

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inferno titan costs 6 mana norn costs 7 mana so no its not strictly an improvement, or is dissipate strictly an improvement over counter spell?
NearSideMoon

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredByron wrote:
Inferno titan costs 6 mana norn costs 7 mana so no its not strictly an improvement, or is dissipate strictly an improvement over counter spell?

That is true. However, I still think that Elesh Norn performs far better at resetting the board to a manageable state than Inferno Titan. She kills Strangleroot Geists for good, and can pick off Invisible Stalker and Geist of Saint Traft. But perhaps 'strictly an improvement' is incorrect terminology.
NearSideMoon

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMA wrote:
Hey I've been testing something similar for ptqing, I ended up cutting the gideons and the miracles in favor of Sigardas, batterskulls and GSZ with a few one ofs (BoP, slime, huntmasters and borderland ranger).
I also hated timelys all the time, they didn't do enough in any matchup RG aggro included, moved them to the sb where you have a better shot at killing equipment.
Cavern of souls is sb material I'm afraid, it's crucial to beat delver but glimmerpost just does much more in every other matchup as well as the nexi. My current maindeck titan target config is 3 nexi, 1 wolf run, 4 glimmerpost, not sure if this is optimal.
This is currently what I am running, I'd like to add another wrath effect but idk what to cut.

Hmm, I see. Well, the idea behind Timely Reinforcements in the main was to have a sort of split. I would have 2 separate answers in my main deck so as to try and improve multiple match-ups. But I suppose having a focused approach could work out better. Glimmerpost over Cavern, the more I think, the more it seems to make sense. The Delver match-up is already good without Cavern, so having Cavern seems unnecessary, considering how popular aggressive decks are becoming. Still, I still want to test it a fair bit. Cavern just seems so necessary for the Control match-up. It may not even be that relevant against the only major control deck left (I think Esper-Colored tap-out) but having just that little extra security puts my mind at ease.

As for the list itself, I've experimented with Naya colored Wolf Run in the past, but could not get the right balance of color right. But it seems you not only have fewer Huntmasters, but also more ways to fix, so maybe the answer lies there. I especially love the two Batterskulls in the main deck! A recurring threat for no color requirement and with the ability to gain actual life? Awesome, especially main board when combined with Oblivion Rings. I would have put them in my sideboard, but lack of space and the fact that opponents nearly always sideboard in Ancient Grudge or other ways to deal with Artifacts dissuaded me. Do you have any way to deal with or else play around this?
EMA

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I haven't had issues with grudges this far, most lists run just 1 ancient grudge in the sb however, and R/G won't even bring those if they don't see the skulls g1 (Ramp does bring them in, but you are bringing the skulls out for conscripts anyway).

@Spyx I had the angels in the maindeck too but ended cutting them because of everyone and his sister maindecking SoWaP and not really caring. It is really good in the ramp mirror (if they dont play ratchet bomb-most lists shouldn't), but it's bad vs delver and R/G aggro. You could try out of the sb but I like karn more in that slot because it is very good also vs esper.
NearSideMoon

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. How's Sigarda been working for you? I've considered it before, with it as a 3-of in the slots Gideon now occupies. A Hexproof 5/5 is very significant, even against control decks. The reason I ended up with Gideon is because Gideon doesn't die to my sweeper effects, and because Gideon can hold off a Sword of War and Peace. How's Sigarda been working for you?
EMA

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigarda's been very good for me, she shines in the most difficult matchups, whereas Gideon was always a bit underwhelming for me.
One thing that i love about sigarda is that she can wear a batterskull or get pumped by wolf run with no worries.
Yes, she's weak to sword, but it's not like gideon gets any better, he usually is just a 5 mana fog for 1 or 2 turns, while batterskull can solve the sword problem in a nicely proactive way.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1