Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Red Deck Wins and Grislebrand Necrotic Ooze

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
yesm

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Red Deck Wins and Grislebrand Necrotic Ooze Reply with quote

These are two decks I've been working on lately. The first is red deck wins. I recently added the two goblin fireslingers. I felt that the deck needed 2 more one drops (the vexing devils dont count cus I dont play them turn one. I would rather save them for a 9 damage
Brimstone Volley). I took out two brimstone volleys for the fireslingers. I am confident that I should have cut at least one of the volleys but what do you guys think about the last card needed to be cut for the second fireslinger. I am considering going to 2 pheonixs or to 3 vexing devil instead. Also in the SB I havent had a chance to test Zealous conscripts over the traiterous bloods. Thoughts.....???

// Lands
22 [M12] Mountain (1)

// Creatures
4 [AVA] Vexing Devil
4 [ISD] Stromkirk Noble
4 [M12] Stormblood Berserker
4 [MBS] Goblin Wardriver
3 [M12] Grim Lavamancer
3 [M12] Chandra's Phoenix
2 [DKA] Hellrider
2 [M12] Goblin Fireslinger

// Spells
4 [SOM] Galvanic Blast
4 [AVA] Pillar of Flame
2 [AVA] Reforge the Soul
2 [ISD] Brimstone Volley

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [SOM] Arc Trail
SB: 3 [NPH] Vulshok Refugee
SB: 2 [ISD] Traitorous Blood
SB: 2 [NPH] Dismember
SB: 2 [DKA] Grafdigger's Cage
SB: 3 [M11] Manic Vandal

This deck I havent had a chance to do much testing with so Im just curious what some other people's perspectives on the deck are. Any suggestions?

// Lands
1 [M12] Mountain (1)
7 [M12] Swamp (3)
3 [DKA] Evolving Wilds
1 [SOM] Plains (4)
4 [ISD] Isolated Chapel
4 [M12] Dragonskull Summit
4 [SOM] Blackcleave Cliffs

// Creatures
4 [AVA] Griselbrand
3 [M12] Vengeful Pharaoh
4 [SOM] Necrotic Ooze

// Spells
4 [DKA] Lingering Souls
2 [MBS] Go for the Throat
4 [AVA] Reforge the Soul
3 [NPH] Whipflare
3 [M12] Zombie Infestation
2 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil
3 [ISD] Unburial Rites
4 [DKA] Faithless Looting
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am expecting someone to talk about the griselband deck too, curious about it and whether someone comes up with a competitive brew. i think this one needs some sort of life gaining, as you will be playing on the defensive until you get your "combo" out, and it needs lots of life to work. maybe pristine talismane and glimmerpost, maybe timely, maybe all of them, dunno.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend and I have been working on Zombie Brand for a couple weeks now. The list looks similiar to yours. After much playtesting I have moved to UBw, while my friend remains with the Bwr colors. I prefer the U over the R, it just depends on if you like Faithless Looting or Forbidden Alchemy better. And with blue you get access to Ponder to set up, and Consecrated Sphinx as a fatty you can hard cast or reanimate and works well with Infestation.
yesm

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far in testing the devils have been incredible. I had the same opinion as uvregarding them before testing. Yes as a first turn play they r terrible but they really aren't a first turn play. The correct way to use them is to play them on turn 4, 5 or 6 ish when u have already taken a good chunk of ur opponents life away. At that point sure they do get to make the decisions but it becomes a pretty damn difficult one when they are already at 12-8 life. The reason y it has done so well for me in testing is because u can play whatever turn 5 or 6 play u would have anyway and he is so cheap u can still afford to drop him and ur often in a position at that point that they can't (or don't think they can) afford to pay the life. As far as the reforge the souls go I haven't played one and not won on my next turn yet. Between the haste creatures and the burn usually I have enough gas to finish them the turn after playing it so I don't really care too much about what the 8 cards they draw are. Not many decks in standard can do as much damage in a single turn as a burn deck with a fresh 7. U may b right about the pheonixs and lavamancers not hiaving enough fuel. Still testing that.

The wardrivers r there because I absolutely have to have a 2 drop besides the stormblood beserkers cus I need to apply pressure turn 2 even if I can't damage through for the beserker (having a second turn with a hand full of beserkers and no way to get a damage through without a diff two drop is really hard to recover from). Honestly they could b porcelin legionaire and I just haven't tested them yet but those r th e only solid 2 drops the deck has access to that I can think of.
Egren

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Griselbrand deck, You'd be amazed at what Elesh Norn can accomplish there.

Imagine, end of turn drawing a huge load of cards, turning the majority of it into zombies, then untapping, reanimating elesh norn, pyroclasming their board and attacking with a load of 4/4s. She's really good.

On top of that killing scenario, she's so good when you're behind too. That goes without saying, as she's seen so much play alread due to the fact that she's ALWAYS good unless when you can't play her (and this is a reanimation deck, after all)

In fact, you can accomplish insane things with her even without Griselbrand/Ooze. A few Lingering Souls tokens, and a zombie or two, and you'll put your opponent on a 1-2 turn clock right away.

Also I'd take out the Reforge the Souls. I love that card and it hurts to say it, but it's just too awfully slow, and even if it's cool with Zombie Infestation, it really isn't when you don't have it.

I'd put some Timely Reinforcements in their place. You have enough discard outlets already without them, and Timely Reinforcements gives you tokens for elesh norn, and life for Griselbrand.

Also, something you can CONSIDER is a 1-of Craterhoof Behemoth. I am currently testing one. 2 1/1s + Behemoth is 16 damage. 3 1/1s + Behemoth is 21 damage.

So all in all, I would do the following changes:

-3 Vengeful Pharaoh (i love the card, but it's sadly not good enough)
-4 Reforge the Soul (Same here. It's too slow, and also refills your opponent's hand. It gets better if you can get the insta-win through elesh or Craterhoof behemoth, but still..)
+3 Elesh Norn
+4 Timely Reinforcements

..alternatively just 3 reinforcements and 1 Craterhoof Behemoth/Grave Titan/Flayer of the Hatebound, or any other fatty that you feel does the kind of work you need.

EDIT: If you do these changes you'll get more reanimation targets that don't work with Necrotic Ooze, this means you might want to swap one or two for Defy Death. It's 1 turn slower than Necrotic Ooze, but it works with the other fatties AND, in the case of Griselbrand you actually get the 7/7 lifelink as well, which usually mitigates the extra turn it takes.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1