Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Response to untapping Time Vault?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
magicman85

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Response to untapping Time Vault? Reply with quote

I control a tapped Time Vault and it is my opponents turn.

He ends his turn.

During my untap step I choose to untap my Time Vault to skip my turn.

In response to me untapping my Time Vault, he casts Lightning Bolt targeting me.

Is this legal?

Also, if I had some tapped lands would I be able to untap them and the Time Vault at the same time?
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not possible. No player has priority when you decide to untap Time Vault at the start of your turn.

What happens is you skip your turn faster than any Lightning Bolt can strike. Bolt back to hand, it's now his untap step.
MikeL123

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you would begin your turn while Time Vault is tapped, you may skip that turn instead.

"If you would" generally means you're completely avoiding the thing you otherwise would do.

If it said:
Quote:
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may skip your turn

...that's a triggered ability that goes on the stack, and he will get a chance to respond before it resolves.

Things that say "If you would" don't create any triggered abilities that go on the stack.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1