Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for SB help in my Dredgevine deck

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
struikje

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dismember/doomblade against splinter twin seems good, natures claim seems better hen ray of revelation, and agains aggro/jund, I'd prefer obstinate baloth/kitchenfinks over gnaw to the bone, with obstinate baloth my favorite, as its very good against junds discard.

I don't quite see why you add white, or play flayer of the hatebound/massacre wurm. Both cards are way o slow and don't have enough impact. Skaab ruinator also seems quit odd.

Thrun seems a good card to have one off in the sb.

Have you practiced with the deck. if so, how are its matchups?
mister_milk

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is a dredge deck I worked on during the Modern season. It did well, but had a poor enough matchup VS splinter twin (the most popular deck at the time) to not be viable.

Dredge (copied from MWS)

// Lands
1 [BD] Swamp (2)
1 [DIS] Breeding Pool
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
2 [RAV] Overgrown Tomb
1 [RAV] Watery Grave
1 [DIS] Hallowed Fountain
1 [BRB] Forest (Cool
1 [BRB] Mountain (1)
1 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
1 [DIS] Blood Crypt
1 [GP] Steam Vents
1 [GP] Stomping Ground
1 [CHK] Minamo, School at Water's Edge

// Creatures
3 [M12] Vengeful Pharaoh
4 [RAV] Golgari Thug
4 [DDC] Stinkweed Imp
4 [ZEN] Bloodghast
4 [ZEN] Hedron Crab
4 [ROE] Vengevine

// Spells
3 [RAV] Life from the Loam
4 [RAV] Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 [DKA] Faithless Looting
2 [ISD] Gnaw to the Bone

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [M12] Vengeful Pharaoh
SB: 1 [ISD] Gnaw to the Bone
SB: 4 [NPH] Torpor Orb
SB: 3 [RAV] Darkblast
SB: 3 [DKA] Ray of Revelation
SB: 3 [TSP] Ancient Grudge

Basically, this deck is trying to do one thing: play two Golgari Thugs on turn 4 and return as many Vengevines as possible. Its quicker and more consistent to just dredge away Vengevines into your yard than it is to Fauna shaman for them, so thats not necessary. Also, if you are willing to start every game at 11, 12, or 14 then Birds aren`t a problem; just fetch away every turn.

Life from the Loam is a card I`ve been very impressed with; it lets any 2-lander I keep never miss land drops with Hedron Crab/Bloodghast. I wouldn't want less than 3. Speaking of which, thats what the 1-of Minamo is for; lategame you can keep getting landfall without having to dredge LftL.

Glimpse the Unthinkable, while slow, a little awkward on the mana and not a creature for Gnaw to the Bone, is the most solid card in the deck; setting up a turn 3 flashbacked Faithless Looting all by itself even when the rest of your hand is slow/reactive/bad.

the Vengeful Pharoh and the second Gnaw to the Bone are metagame-dependant; This deck takes a lot of damage from itself and Pharoh brutally destroys Delver of Secrets Decks.

4 Ancient Grudge in the sideboard I think is a must; you can still lose random games to Affinity, with t2 plating and whatnot, but the real card is, as you've mentioned, Grafdigger's Cage. Ray of Revelation and Torpor Orb are both great cards vs Splinter Twin and Birthing Pod (well, Ray not so much), and Ray is good against Blood Moon as well. I guess Blood Moon is much more of a problem for my deck than yours though.

Another direction to take this deck is with a Haakon theme; Haakon, Gravecrawlers, and Nameless Inversions, but I don't think its good enough/takes too many slots. Haakon is better than Skaab Ruinator IMO because it removes 1 card from your graveyard (itself) as compared to 4 cards for Gnaw to the Bone.

The Unburial Rites plan is neat, but I think its better in the Sideboard. Good targets are Sphinx of the Steel Wind vs Jund, Elesh Norn vs aggro, Birthing Pod, and Jund, Iona, Shield of the Emeria for mono-coloured decks (IE burn, UW Tron, Aggro Loam, etc) and Terastodon (vs UW and RG tron). I don't know how good Flayer is in this deck because I don't htink he does anything until the turn after he's in play, and Massacre Wurm's ability is one-shot whereas Elesh Norn's is continuous.
EMA

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

struikje wrote:
I'd prefer obstinate baloth/kitchenfinks over gnaw to the bone, with obstinate baloth my favorite, as its very good against junds discard.

I didn't test that deck and I might be wrong but I don't see how baloth can be better than gnaw to the bone in this deck, as it gains more life (a lot more) and Jund will be bringing out discard spells vs you.

@Mister_Milk I'm pretty sure you confused Minamo with Oboro
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one plays Blightning in Jund any more so playing Obstinate Baloth is just not worth it especially when he will gain so much more life by using Gnaw...also he can use Gnaw twice if he has it in his hand.

Don't play Finks or Baloth. I would recommend getting Golgari Thug back in the deck. Mister_Milk's deck is done pretty well.
Grizzly440

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LIKE THE BUILD. MAY I SUGGEST BLOOD MOON FOR BOARD. IT IS AWESOME VS TRON AND ALOT OF DECKS WHO RUN ALOT OF NON BASICS.
Grizzly440

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND LOTUS COBRA HELPS YOU TO CORRECT UR MANA IF YOU USE MOONS. IVE SEEN IT IN OTHER VINE DECKS.
mtgsoldier

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood moon is always better than the magus, imo
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1