Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Divine Deflection

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
McShane

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Divine Deflection Reply with quote

If I have 3 x 2/2 wolfs in play, blocking my opponents 6/6 Sun Titan, and I am taking 2 dmg from 2 x unblocked 1/1 Flyers...

If I cast Divine Deflection, x = 2, preventing a total of 8 damage... Can I send 8 dmg to my opponents face? Or is it just 2. Because the card says... "If damage is prevented this way, Divine Deflection deals that much damage to target creature or player."
sc4rs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X=2 does not prevent 8 damage. X=2 prevents 2 damage. You choose where the 2 damage is prevented from, however.

It also deals 2 damage.

Read the rulings here, they explain it pretty well.
CharlesT

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it only me or the Ruling Oracle on that card makes no sense?

On one side we have :

2- If the targeted creature or player is an illegal target by the time Divine Deflection resolves, the entire spell is countered. No damage will be prevented.

On the other we have :

8- Whether the targeted creature or player is still a legal target is not checked after Divine Deflection resolves. For example, if a creature targeted by Divine Deflection gains shroud after Divine Deflection resolves, Divine Deflection can still deal damage to that creature.

9- If Divine Deflection can't deal damage to the targeted creature or player (because the creature has gained protection from white, is no longer on the battlefield, or is no longer a creature, or the player is no longer in the game, for example), it will still prevent damage. It just won't deal any damage itself.

Did Wizard screw it up, or can someone explain?
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divine Deflection is a spell which creates both a prevention shield and a delayed trigger. The legality of the target creature is checked when the spell is cast and when it resolves. Once the spell resolves, it is too late for the target becoming illegal to counter it.

The first effect, the prevention shield is created when the spell resolves. Divine Reflection will prevent the next X damage dealt to you or permanents you control on that turn. A player might still play something which says "Damage can not be prevented" or simply not make an attempt to damage you and this would render the spell useless.

Once X damage has been prevented by the prevention shield, a delayed trigger is created - "Divine deflection deals X damage to the creature which was targetted". If the creature gains shroud, it is too late, because the trigger itself does not target. If it gains protection from white or is no longer on the battlefield, the damage isn't dealt, but the prevention has already happened earlier in the turn.
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not entirely correct. Divine Deflection does not create a delayed triggered ability. It creates a prevention shield and causes something else to be done when the damage is prevented. Triggered abilities always use "when," "whenever," or "at."

It is correct, however, that the target is checked for legality only when the spell is cast and when it resolves. If the target later ceases to exist or something happens to it to make it not a legal target, it doesn't matter as long as the spell has already resolved.

xJudicatorx wrote:
Divine Deflection is a spell which creates both a prevention shield and a delayed trigger. The legality of the target creature is checked when the spell is cast and when it resolves. Once the spell resolves, it is too late for the target becoming illegal to counter it.

The first effect, the prevention shield is created when the spell resolves. Divine Reflection will prevent the next X damage dealt to you or permanents you control on that turn. A player might still play something which says "Damage can not be prevented" or simply not make an attempt to damage you and this would render the spell useless.

Once X damage has been prevented by the prevention shield, a delayed trigger is created - "Divine deflection deals X damage to the creature which was targetted". If the creature gains shroud, it is too late, because the trigger itself does not target. If it gains protection from white or is no longer on the battlefield, the damage isn't dealt, but the prevention has already happened earlier in the turn.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1