Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Pet (Wgb Tokens) Possibly my strongest deck yet

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: My Pet (Wgb Tokens) Possibly my strongest deck yet Reply with quote

Before I get to the deck, I need to say that playing this list has been amazing. The things this deck has going for it you can hardly find anywhere else. In particular this deck has an incredible beatdown game, it very consistent due to its redundancy, it is also very flexible due to the variety of ways each card can be played, it is very resiliant to hate (especially for a token deck!), and lastly it has more card advantage then you can begin to imagine. So without further adue, here is the list

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [ISD] Isolated Chapel
4 [DKA] Evolving Wilds
5 [ISD] Plains (2)
4 [M12] Sunpetal Grove
3 [DKA] Vault of the Archangel
3 [ISD] Gavony Township
1 [SOM] Forest (2)
1 [SOM] Swamp (3)

// Spells
3 [M12] Oblivion Ring
3 [ISD] Garruk Relentless/Garruk, the Veil-Cursed
3 [DKA] Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
3 [NPH] Dismember
2 [M12] Timely Reinforcements
3 [MBS] Go for the Throat
4 [ISD] Intangible Virtue
4 [DKA] Lingering Souls
4 [ISD] Midnight Haunting
4 [ISD] Parallel Lives
1 [SOM] Sword of Body and Mind
1 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [M12] Timely Reinforcements
SB: 1 [DKA] Ray of Revelation
SB: 3 [NPH] Surgical Extraction
SB: 2 [NPH] Shrine of Loyal Legions
SB: 3 [M12] Day of Judgment
SB: 1 [SOM] Revoke Existence
SB: 2 [NPH] Batterskull
SB: 1 [MBS] Divine Offering

First of all I would like to state that I hate the white wienie version of tokens, your 1 drops are horrible at applying pressure (champion of the parrish is not reliably large and doomed traveler is in no way aggressive) and your two drops are mostly anthems with the exception of gather the townsfolk which doesn't have a huge impact on turn 2 anyways (no where near as powerful as a delver decks threats). So all in all I am 100% against the version that is all about being aggro.

Instead I am going in a different direction. My deck is a bit slower (nothing to pressure my opponent till turn 3 but that allows me to maximize the power and efficiency of my spells. From turn 3 on my deck starts to completely take over the game with it's tokens using them as psudo removal spells and as threats. If I am unable to completely overwhelm my opponent from here my 4 drops will steadily take over the game, burying my opponent in CA and board advantage.

Deck Analysis:

Mana Base: I chose the mana base the way I did because I wanted to be able to heavily lean on my white mana which being able to reliably have whichever of my two splashes that I needed in the early game, and then get my third splash latter in the game. Almost all color producing lands in the deck provide white save the swamp and forest, and the two splash colors have the 4 dual lands, the basic, and 4 evolving wilds to get their respective colors, that is 9 ways to do it which is a little less then 1/6th of the cards in my deck. This mana base does restrict me from playing curse of deaths hold which is a card that would have been great to have in the deck, this is not to much of an issue though but curse would have been amazing if I could reliably get bb.

Card Analysis:

3 dismember/ 3 gftt / 3 oblivion ring: this is my removal suit: the dismembers are mostly there to be a way to answer a turn 1 delver while remaining an effective removal spell for larger threats, most of the time it only costs 2 life anyways and it can take out artifact creatures that get around gftt. Gftt is just a great all round efficient removal spell that is useful at all points in the game. Oblivion ring is slower but more flexible then gftt and is especially good in this deck, where it can serve as a MD answer to so many things from equipment to planswalkers to simply being creature removal.

4 lingering souls/4 midnight haunting/2 timely reinforcements: Lingering souls needs no introduction, it is an incredible card that is seeing play even in legacy, in a deck like this though, this card is pushed to it's limits. Midnight haunting has kinda been overshadowed by lingering souls however midnight haunting is actually almost as powerful as lingering souls if you really think about it. Haunting can do things that souls is not able to do since it is and instant. In particular there are two ways you can use midnight haunting that you cannot with souls. 1) you can use it as instant speed removal, unexpectedly taking your opponents creatures out mid combat (or you will be forcing your opponent to play around it). 2) you can use it at the end of your opponents turn to force your opponent to tap down his counter spell mana or just let you have your beatdown creatures, a lot of the times you can use this to set up a 4 drop and then ride that to victory. 2 timely is to hedge against super aggressive decks. The only time Timely Reinforcements is bad is when you are already winning...but in that case you are already winning so its not important. However if you are not winning this card can instantaneously change the momentum of the game in your favor.

3 garruk / 3 sorrin / 4 parallel lives : the 4 drops are very flexible and game changing garruk is both removal and a token generator, sorrin is an anthem and a token generator (and sometimes even removal), and parallel lives is backbreaking CA (seriously go look up the rulings on the gatherer to see how multiples work).

4 intangible virtue/ sword of faf/bam: virtue is obvious I decided against honor because my tokens come in many colors and that anthem wouldn't effect a lot of my guys, the split on the swords is because faf has a much more powerful abillity, but the protections on bam are more relevant (blocking geist, delver, and all green creatures), and it's also a good token generator.

The Sb is mostly tuning for different mu's I'm running out of time so I will go over that breakdown a little latter, hope you enjoyed the deck.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what your trying to do and you do generally come up with the most interesting deck on the ml forums but your curve and your mana are not pretty. I tried a deck not all to different myself except black was my splash colour, it beat the UB decks handily but lost to all the aggro decks, I dont know what your finding but this is what i found.

You have far to many 4 drops as good as they all are, 6-7 is really the max you can get away with and keep a competitive curve. Gather the towns folk really should be in this deck for some of the 4 drops.
MassO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All control decks that run Black have Curses, not to mention ratchet bombs, main deck you only have 3 cards to deal with 2 cards that destroy your deck. Even after SB you up that to a total of 5, which is not going to win you many games.

Also, Control decks are going to love this midrange deck, if your not starting to play threats til turn 3, you just gave control 3 turns to stabilize or atleast get ahead on you.

I don't like this.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intangible virtue answers curse, pws are good vs control also i hear and the control decks only play 2 curse.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MassO wrote:
All control decks that run Black have Curses, not to mention ratchet bombs, main deck you only have 3 cards to deal with 2 cards that destroy your deck. Even after SB you up that to a total of 5, which is not going to win you many games.

Also, Control decks are going to love this midrange deck, if your not starting to play threats til turn 3, you just gave control 3 turns to stabilize or atleast get ahead on you.

I don't like this.

Manfredbyron hit it spot on, intangible virtue is honestly a better answer then oblivion ring or revoke, it's basically disenchant + all your creatures gain vigilance. Ratchet bombs are a little painful, but only if they draw multiples and you do not have a walker. On top of that, a walker with parallel lives laughs off ratchetbombs and BSZ's, as I mentioned before, I played a UB control deck that drew ALL of it's hate including 3 BSZ's but I had two lives and garruk so I was pumping out 4 2/2's every turn at no cost and there is nothing a control deck can do to contain that. post board I have tried quite a few things to help me deal with the ratchets, since I can take 1 ratchet just fine i side in extractions for those. In addition to taking out a ratchet, it can also nuke a snapcaster or do a major number on a frites deck.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1