Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with understanding sideboards

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
mr_silenus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Help with understanding sideboards Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Although I joined a while ago, only recently getting into magic (and online magic). I was hoping some kind individual would help me with the following question.
If I pull some pro deck off the net, how do I 'read' or understand the sideboards? So far it takes me a few games for the deck to 'click', ie how I'm supposed to use it. But I can never get the hang of what cards to exchange with the sideboard when I lose.

For example: http://www.magic-league.com/deck/76679/standard_t2.html#UW%20Delver59359

I can understand Sword of Feast and Flame, Celestial purge, flashfreeze, steel sabotage, corrosive gale, revoke existence but not the others...

I don't understand when cards like batterskull and timely reinforcements would be useful to swap in.

Another question is what cards do I swap these with?
NearSideMoon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side in Timely against Aggro decks, Red Decks, Burn(?) decks, decks with a lot of cheap creatures (Mana Leak is less than optimal on the draw against an aggro deck.)

Batterskull is a recurring threat vs. control or other big decks that let you race back with flyers and lifelink. Gut Shot, Vapor Snag, and Dismember are all taken out vs. Control.
Hendrix_21

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look this

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/standard/23869_Sideboarding_WithDelver.html

I believe it can really hepls you.
straca3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, that article is terrible
xxapathyxx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly sideboarding is 100% the weakest part of my skills in magic. I dont think simply stating what cards go in against matchups helps anyone. The basic idea of sideboarding is taking out cards you dont really want to cast, for cards that would be better. The reason timely reinforcments might come in against Mono red is it gains you life and gives you blockers, and it is most certainly better than gut shot, which costs you life. Your life is much more of a resource in the match vs mono red than it is vs ub control. Against control its more of a race to kill them before they take over the game, so timely isn't as desireable here. Honestly, I'd like a better player to help me with my sideboarding once i get a decklist that i like lol.
mr_silenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that reply.

The trouble with the article posted above is that while it has a list of what should be sideboarded against each matchup, there is often not a reason given for these(or one that is easily understood by a newbie).

Your explanations for timely reinforcements against mono red and control are very good however.

I guess I just need more experience playing decks/cards to see when they would be useful in what situation.
Kaesh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd Anderson doesn't have a slightest clue, try this: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/standard/23745_Evolving_Delver_For_Grand_PrixBaltimore_And_Beyond.html
maps

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxapathyxx wrote:
Honestly sideboarding is 100% the weakest part of my skills in magic. I dont think simply stating what cards go in against matchups helps anyone. The basic idea of sideboarding is taking out cards you dont really want to cast, for cards that would be better. The reason timely reinforcments might come in against Mono red is it gains you life and gives you blockers, and it is most certainly better than gut shot, which costs you life. Your life is much more of a resource in the match vs mono red than it is vs ub control. Against control its more of a race to kill them before they take over the game, so timely isn't as desireable here. Honestly, I'd like a better player to help me with my sideboarding once i get a decklist that i like lol.

Boarding out gut shot vs mono red is v bad. yes, gut shot costs you a life, but you have little ability to handle a turn1 creature other than that. With a deck like delver, you win the midgame, and lose the early and late game. i.e., you need to get to the midgame by stopping their early creatures, and then you need to kill them before they can burn you out with something like shrine/a couple of burn spells. Mono red is going to kill you if you don't kill them quickly enough, but cards like timely can help extend the window in which you can kill them before they kill you by extending the period in which you aren't likely to be killed by their ground creatures/their burn spells. cards that are bad versus RDW are Mana Leak, especially on the draw (I'd leave some in on the play), Dismember (because the 4 life, 1 mana, 1 card isn't worth their creature, whereas Gut Shot is only 2 life, 0 mana, and kills almost everything you want to kill with Dismember, and can be Snapcaster'd back with much less cost). Invisible Stalker is also pretty bad against them because you often don't need an evasive creature to sneak past them, and because equipment is often pretty bad against them because they'll probably board in artifact removal, and a 1/1 is especially bad in this matchup. I'd probably cut all the equips except SoWaP.
xxapathyxx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maps wrote:
xxapathyxx wrote:

I didnt look at the decklist. Although unless they run stromkirk noble, i dont like gut shot in the matchup. Like its good if they run that, and most do, but if they dont i would definatly board it out.

Boarding out gut shot vs mono red is v bad. yes, gut shot costs you a life, but you have little ability to handle a turn1 creature other than that. With a deck like delver, you win the midgame, and lose the early and late game. i.e., you need to get to the midgame by stopping their early creatures, and then you need to kill them before they can burn you out with something like shrine/a couple of burn spells. Mono red is going to kill you if you don't kill them quickly enough, but cards like timely can help extend the window in which you can kill them before they kill you by extending the period in which you aren't likely to be killed by their ground creatures/their burn spells. cards that are bad versus RDW are Mana Leak, especially on the draw (I'd leave some in on the play), Dismember (because the 4 life, 1 mana, 1 card isn't worth their creature, whereas Gut Shot is only 2 life, 0 mana, and kills almost everything you want to kill with Dismember, and can be Snapcaster'd back with much less cost). Invisible Stalker is also pretty bad against them because you often don't need an evasive creature to sneak past them, and because equipment is often pretty bad against them because they'll probably board in artifact removal, and a 1/1 is especially bad in this matchup. I'd probably cut all the equips except SoWaP.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1