Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 104 Judged

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
BlackPen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: CaC 104 Judged Reply with quote

I'll grade on an A-F letter grade scale with pluses and minuses.

sc4rs wrote:
Mark of the Goryo
2B
Arcane Enchantment - Aura - Rare
Enchant Spirit
Arcane spells you cast have "Return target Spirit from your graveyard to the battlefield."
"Wherever the cursed Goryo appeared, all the kami the humans had slain rose again. The humans had no choice but to flee." —Great Battles of Kamigawa

The card doesn't fix the issue with Arcane spells. They only work well with other cards from kamigawa block. I suppose a few cards that interact specifically with arcane spells are fine, but I would want mechanics to work well with cards outside the block. Another issue is the card is an aura, but has an ability of a global enchantment. Also I would want the enchantment to return a spirit on its own. Grade: C

Hendrix_21 wrote:
Thought Strategist - 2B

Socery - Arcane [R]

Name a equipment card. Search target player's graveyard, hand and library for any number of cards with that name and exile them. Then player shuffles his or her library.

Splice onto Arcane - 2B (As you play an arcane spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)

This card has so many problems. The name says strategist, but the card is a sorcery not a creature. Cranial extraction for equipments is so narrow and this card does not seem playable in a competitive or casual environment. Also splice into the arcana was a mechanic I specifically said I did not like.
Grade: F

AxiomBlurr wrote:

Wakizashi Apprentice RR

Creature - Human Samurai (Uncommon)

Haste, Bushido 1

2RR, Exile Wakizashi Apprentice: Search your library for a card named "Saijiro, Wakizashi Flame" and put it onto the battlefield.

1/1

"When you are ready, it will be your own hand that frees your soul."

Saijiro, Wakizashi Flame 4RR

Legendary Creature - Spirit Samurai (Rare)

Flying, double strike, haste, Bushido 2

When Saijiro, Wakizashi Flame enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

2/2

Saijiro's wakizashi is the lightning above the Kami hordes.

The cards make sense balance and flavor wise. It is an interesting replacement to flip cards , but i would a lot of cards in a set to refer to another specific card. Overall this card just doesn't excite me too much. Grade: B

axman wrote:
Umezawa's Trainee W
Creature -- Samurai (Mythic Rare)
Trainee 6 (If this card has 6 or more experience counters on it, transform it)
Firststike, Vigilance
During your upkeep you may pay WWW. If you do, put an experience counter on Umezawa's Trainee.
Whenever Umezawa's Trainee attacks or blocks, put 2 experience counters on it.
1/1

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Umezawa's Samurai, Hand of Justice
Creature -- Legendary Samurai (Mythic Rare)
Doublestrike, Vigilance
Remove 6 experience counters from Umezawa's Samurai, Hand of Justice: Umezawa's Samurai, Hand of Justice gains protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.
4/4

This flip card has all the problems that flip cards have. The text would be tiny to fit on the card and it's abilities are overly complex. Flavor wise, why is Umezawa's student white not black? also why an unnamed samurai a mythic legend? Grade: D-

pseudodespot wrote:
Hokiko no Hana G

Creature - Spirit (uncommon)

T: Add two mana of any one color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast spirit or arcane spells.

0/1

This Flower smells on you.

I like it. I constructed I can see it pumping out the dragon spirit cycle and in casual formats I can imagine it making spirit of nights. It might a little too strong though, and the flavor text doesn't make sense to me Grade: B+

Canabiest wrote:
Kuchisake-Onna
1B
Creature - Spirit
Uncommon

Kuchisake-Onna enters the battlefield with a mask counter on it.
Remove a mask counter from Kuchisake-onna: Kuchisake-Onna gains deathtouch until end of turn.
When Kuchisake-Onna dies, if it has a mask counter on it, return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
1/1
"Am I beautiful?"

This card is pretty sweet. The creature wearing and taking off a mask comes across very naturally. I can see this cards and possibly other cards like this leading to fun grindy limited games. Grade: A

pg8 wrote:
Gift from the Gods
Enchantment--Uncommon
~ is white.
This permanent enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.
Splice onto Creature 1W (As you cast a creature spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell's rules text.)

I'm not exactly sure on what this card does. Grade: F

weygander wrote:
Reito Massacre 3BBB
Sorcery-Arcane
Rare

Remove all non-spirit creatures from the game. For each creature removed this way, that creature's controller puts a 1/1 white spirit token with flying into play.

I think the idea of the card is pretty cool, but an almost identical card already exists and I think it could be a little easier cast and still be fair. Grade: B

JacobMatthew wrote:
Akina, Fallen Samurai
Legendary Creature - Samurai Spirit
1WB
First strike, Seppuku 2 (Whenever this creature is blocked by a creature, that creature deals 2 damage to itself.)
Whenever Akina, Fallen Samurai deals damage to a player or planeswalker, you may reveal an arcane spell from your hand and put a copy of that spell onto the stack.

2/3

I think she's cute.

I laughed when i saw the card. The seppuku ability is funny, but it makes combat difficult and I wouldn't want it as mechanic. Otherwise the other abilities do not mesh together well to me. Grade: C+

MassO wrote:
Unyielding Torment (1GB)

Enchantment (Rare)

Non-Legendary Creatures get -1/-1.

Spirit and Arcane spells cost 1 more to play.

"There is no need to rush to our deaths. Let the enemy kill themselves
then we cleanse the battlefield." -Dosan, the Falling Leaf to General
Takeno

Way too powerful for it's cost. I don't know why it is green or why both abilities go together. Grade: F

NearSideMoon wrote:
Yajiko, Paradise of Fallen Heroes

Legendary Land

Legendary Creatures cast from your hand enter the battlefield with a 'Legend Counter'

Tap; add 1 to your mana pool

Tap, discard a Spirit or Arcane card, remove a Legend Counter from a creature you control; add X to your mana pool, where X is the converted mana cost of target Legendary creature you control (colored mana symbols in its mana cost yield colored mana.) You may cast Legendary Spirit Creatures from your graveyard using only this mana.

"Heroes rise, fall, and are swept away by time. But Legends, legends live forever."

The card is too complicated. Grade: D

huntergatsby wrote:
Taiwal, the Sludgelord 3BB

Legendary Creature-Demon

Flying

Spells with the same name as spells in the graveyard can not be cast

At the beginning of each upkeep, reveal the top card of your library, and each player puts cards into their graveyard equal to that card's converted mana cost.

4/4

"He is said to bring famine where ever his feet touch"

I like the idea of the card. the air elemental stats with an ability that mills makes it feel blue to me. Grade: B+

DoomBr1nger wrote:
Spiritual Black Dimensions | 1WB

Legendary Enchantment - (M)

Spirit creatures get +1/+1.

Whenever a non-Spirit creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a token that's a copy of that creature onto the battlefield, it's a Spirit in addition to its other types, then sacrifice a non-Spirit creature.

Whenever a non-token Spirit creature enters the battlefield, you draw a card, then lose 1 life.

Within lies the answer to the afterlife, provided your soul endures the pain that your flesh wasn't able to.

The card seems overly complicated for something that is glorious anthem + phyrexian arena. The mana cost also seems too low to be balanced and creature copy tokens are hard too keep track of during gameplay. Grade: F

zebo_88 wrote:

Kami of Silent Whispers 1UB
Creature - Spirit (U)
Whenever you cast an Arcane spell, you may pay X life. If you do, search your library for an Arcane instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost X and exile it. Shuffle your library afterwards.
You may Splice onto Arcane cards exiled with Kami of Silent Whispers as though they were in your hand.
2/2

I like the ability. I think the card works well given the splice mechanic. The issue is that i don't like the splice into the arcana mechanic because doesn't interact at all with other blocks. Grade: B

Duodax wrote:

Shi En, Legendary Samurai 4WR

Creature - Human Samurai MYTHIC RARE

Bushido 1

You may sacrifice two Samurai creatures with converted mana cost 3 or more instead of paying Shi En's mana cost.

Sacrifice a Samurai: Shi En is indestructible until end of turn.

0: Counter target instant or sorcery spell you don't control. Activate this ability only once per turn.

4/2

I don't think a w/r creature should have an alt mana cost involving sacrificing creatures(belongs to black). Also it shouldn't be countering spells either(blue). The card would more sense as a black card without the counter ability that seems jammed on. Grade: C-

blitzer2k7 wrote:
Pull Through Eternity 2UU

Enchantment - Rare

Sorcery and instant spells you control without Splice onto Arcane gain Splice onto Arcane equal to its mana cost.

Sorcery and instant spells you control that aren't arcane become arcane in addition to its other types.

Whenever you cast a spell that has been spliced, draw a card.

I did not want a card that revolves around splice into the arcana. Grade: C

EMA wrote:
Rising Dragons Technique 2RR

Enchantement - Aura Skill (rare)

Enchant Ninja or Samurai

Enchanted permanent has: "Tap: Search your library for up to two dragon creatures and put them into the battlefield under your control. They have haste. Sacrifice them at the end of turn."

A special technique,
that channels the warrior's spirit
through the Reikai,
and calls upon the five Stars of Kamigawa.

-The Art of Ninjutsu

This card to me reads if you control a ninja or samurai you win the game. Way over powered. Also I don't see the purpose of skill in the card type. Grade: F

Gademis wrote:
Hidden Strength G

Instant - (U)

Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature

Splice into Creature G (As you cast a Creature spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)

"Nature has provided you with means, now you must provide a way" - Dokai, Weaver of Life

A great way to make splice relevant to cards in other blocks. The only issue i have is the wording is a little strange to me. Grade: A-

Balaviaris wrote:
Harakiri RR

Sorcery - Mythic Rare

Take an extra turn after this one. At the beginning of that turn's end step, you lose the game.

Better to have an honorable death, than a life with no honor.

I like functional reprints and this is a flavorful way to do final fortune. It's still a reprint though. Grade: B

Winner:Canabiest
Second:Gademis
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to Canabiest.

I like Gademis' idea but the gray area in the rules that touches it, makes me shiver. Creature spells with spell abilities are just Confused
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pseudodespot wrote:
Congratulations to Canabiest.

I like Gademis' idea but the gray area in the rules that touches it, makes me shiver. Creature spells with spell abilities are just Confused

Rule issues like that are OK for create-a-card in my opinion. I mean this is a case of new-mechanic=new-rule. I'm not sure I would like to let someone counter my creature because the spell had no legal targets on resolution though :/
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You figured it out, creature spells that target are really weird. This digs deeper into the basic functions of mtg than normal Splice did.

To compare:
Imagine an equipment would not fall of the creature it equips when it becomes a creature on its own due to March of the Machines.

It is that type of problem.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1