Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blue-White Humans

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
NearSideMoon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Blue-White Humans Reply with quote

This is the deck that I've currently been running through most of Standard. While it may seem pointless to make changes to it now since Avacyn Restored is so close and that's going to have a big impact on the format, I may as well.

Creatures:
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Loyal Cathat/Unhallowed Cathar
4 Mirran Crusader
4 Hero of Bladehold
4 Champion of the Parish
4 Doomed Traveler
3 Fiend Hunter

Other Spells:
2 Angelic Destiny
4 Honor of the Pure
3 Oblivion Ring

Lands:
13 Plains (Lorwyn copies, obviously)
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Seachrome Coast
3 Moorland Haunt

Sideboard:
1 Oblivion Ring
2 Celestial Purge
1 Corrosive Gale
2 Timely Reinforcements
2 Geist of Saint Traft
3 Mana Leak
2 Revoke Existence
2 Sword of War and Peace

The deck seems to function fairly well, and I've managed to beat multiple Zombies, Delver, and Tokens decks with it (with some difficulty.) It can usually get bigger than Pod or Red-Green Aggro decks faster, and has a lot of removal that maintains tempo, to keep the creature match-ups fairly manageable.

The main issue with the deck is the control match-up. Against decks packing 4 Day of Judgment or 4 Black Sun's Zenith (Esper or Blue-Black Control,) it becomes suicide to overextend because this deck has a very hard time coming back from low resources. Playing it safe, however, still runs into the problem of not killing them fast enough, and eventually, they'll resolve Grave Titan, Sphinx, Batterskull, or even worse, a 'Walker.' Facing down a Sorin or a Gideon on Turn 5 is really bad, since they force you to attack them or else just lose, and if you commit any creatures at all to the board, they just Wrath and you die. Thalia can only help so much, and them not being able to Leak your Turn 3 guy on the draw means little when they end up just casting Wrath for huge value.

Advice on improving the Control match-up, as well as tweaks to either the main or side would be appreciated.
JacobMatthew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 lands
pg8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urza's Saga Plains > Lorwyn Plains
magicman85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splash blue for Geist of Saint Traft and Moorland Haunt. Moorland haunt is pretty awesome vs control especially if you have equipment.
magicman85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you do have the Moorland Haunts, I would probably run Mana Leak over Honor of the Pure. Honor of the Pure is a little slow and Mana Leak can help preserve your early board advantage.

Geist and Sword of War and Peace seem like they should be main deck.
maps

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JacobMatthew wrote:
22 lands

Rolling Eyes
maps

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicman85 wrote:
Oh you do have the Moorland Haunts, I would probably run Mana Leak over Honor of the Pure. Honor of the Pure is a little slow and Mana Leak can help preserve your early board advantage.

Twilli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maps wrote:
magicman85 wrote:

I appreciate this. Just sayin
NearSideMoon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Mana Leak in the main, and I just really disliked. On the play, you're almost never going to use it since you're tapping out every turn, it's a horrible top deck when you're behind, and it doesn't advance your board. Honor of the Pure allows you to keep your pressure going, makes your Thalia's more resistant to Tragic Slip or Gut Shot, neutralizes their Curse of Death's Hold, and in general is one of the most important cards in the deck. Leak is only going to be good when you've filled your curve and are protecting from when they tap out for Wrath on turn 4 or 5. Any later than turn 5, they are probably going to have more counterspells than you, (or in the case of Ramp, the other deck that runs sweep effects, have the mana to pay for Leak), which is why I only bring them in post board against Control and sometimes Ramp (though that may not be correct.)

As for running 22 lands, while I could see cutting a Haunt to go to 23, 22 just seems too low. My mana curve is a little bit higher than other UW Humans, with 3 Hunters/3 Rings/4 Crusaders at cmc 3, and 4 Hero of Bladehold/2 Angelic Destiny at cmc 4. The other builds I've seen usually have a lower curve (and even those builds don't run 22 lands). Still, lowering the land count may help in just having greater spell density than them, especially in game 1, so I'll try that out.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1