Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

are vampires worth it?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks
phatlee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: are vampires worth it? Reply with quote

so im currently running a myr deck with blue field control and i like it. but when scars leaves standard play the only thing ill have left in that deck is mana leaks. so ive been trying to find something else to run and vampires caught my eye... i want to run red/black vamps but dont know if itll hold its own.... i really need the help so i can go buy the cards and begin playing with it..... heres what i started with off the top of my head....

Creatures:

2 falkenrath aristocrat
2 falkenrath marauders
2 falkenrath nobles
2 markov blademaster
2 olivia voldaren
4 rakish heir
2 stromkirk captain
4 stromkirk noble

Spells: (not sure how many of which of these to run but you can see the theme with them)

curse of the stalked prey
dead weight
bump in the night
volt charge
virulent wound
go for the throat
geth's verdict
grim affliction
doom blade
grasp of darkness
tragic slip
curse of the pierced heart
incinerate
shock

i dont have a clue how to arrange the spells as im sure the creature lineup could use some work.... i want to use the red and black spells to clear the field so i can get the vamps thru for their pump counters. is this possible and will it work?? thanks in advance.....
Mitchmachine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forget the best card brimestone volley.

The best way is too start with the core.
In an aggro deck you want as many low drops as possible.
You want at least 8 1 drops.
8+ 2 drops
etc. etc.

You can start with the 23 lands 16/17 spells and 20/21 creatures.
Than you can slowly figure out (by playtesting) which cards you like and dislike and change the numbers. Until you find the list that works great for you.

Good luck
struikje

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to play a vampire deck, I'd go with deffinetely

-4 stromkirk noble
-4 vampire interloper
-4 stromkirk captain (this guy is too good to play only 2)
-4 rakish heir
-4 bloodline keeper/lord of lineage)

These are a must I think. Olivia is a very good card, but with 4 bloodline keepers allready, you'll have a pretty high curve. maybe play 1/2.
Another okay vampire is child of night, although not having evasion is not optimal.

I wouldn't play any of the falkerath guys, they are too expensive for what they do. Also, Markov blademaster is just bad, way to slow to work.

As removal I'd play burn: Volt charge works nice with the counters on the vampires, incinerate is still very good, galvanic blast is better than shock. Geth's verdict I'd put only in the sideboard for thruns/geists/stalkers, and you don't want go for the throat/doom blades/tragic slips, because they can be so dead draws where burn gives you reach when they are at a low life. Don't play curses, they are way to slow, and don't do anything on their own.

If you want to play a tribal black aggro deck, zombies (be it Bu or Br (or Bru)) is the better choice, as it has better creatures.

The plan to play fast little guys early, and make the way for them clear with burn spells has worked for vampires in zendikar, but the vampires in innistrad have got only one good 1drop, namely the noble. Zendikar had faster and better creatures (lacerator, pulse tracker, bloodghast, gatekeeper of malakir, kalastria bloodwitch) and better burn (LIGHTNING BOLT).

Goodluck with it.
styx^

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this: http://www.blackborder.com/q/node/14305
phatlee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the info guys, styx i absolutely love that build. it fits so well with how i play... i dont much care for the signal pests... i do understand why they were in there though.... im thinking maybe switch those out for volt charges and try it that way.... i like the whole proliferate thing.... lol.... thanks for the help...
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1