Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create a Card 100th Anniversary Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aether Bloodline 2W

Enchantment (rare)

At the beginning of your upkeep you gain life equal to the number of exiled cards you own.

1W; exile a creature card from your graveyard: Put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

Who said divinity is not venal?
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out worldly bolt R

Instant Uncommon

Out worldly bolt deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Gateway: 1RR (You may cast this spell for its gateway cost if its exiled.)

"Where did that come from?"

----------------------

After it gets cast by gateway, it's supposed to end up in the graveyard.

Last edited by Balaviaris on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

After it gets cast by gateway, it's supposed to end up in the graveyard. And yes, you can cast this card (and any card with gateway) from your sideboard Smile

Just call it a Synchro-Instant and we play yu gi oh.
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMA-Flippi wrote:
Quote:

After it gets cast by gateway, it's supposed to end up in the graveyard. And yes, you can cast this card (and any card with gateway) from your sideboard Smile

Just call it a Synchro-Instant and we play yu gi oh.

I have no idea what is going on in Yu gi oh and I prefer if it remained that way. Thanks Smile .
sc4rs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balaviaris wrote:

Hate to break it to you, but they changed that when "exile" became a keyword. "Exile" is a zone, and your sideboard is "outside the game."

Wishes can't search for exiled cards anymore, either. See Living Wish rulings on Gatherer: 10/1/2009 You can't acquire exiled cards because those cards are still in one of the game's zones.

I'll be judging this probably tomorrow, considering how many submissions we already have!
Lostwanderer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Void Runes 1UR
Enchantment-Mythic Rare
URX:Cast target exiled instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost X
They wondered why these runes had never been seen before, It became aprent shortly after.
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sc4rs wrote:
Balaviaris wrote:

Hate to break it to you, but they changed that when "exile" became a keyword. "Exile" is a zone, and your sideboard is "outside the game."

Wishes can't search for exiled cards anymore, either. See Living Wish rulings on Gatherer: 10/1/2009 You can't acquire exiled cards because those cards are still in one of the game's zones.

I'll be judging this probably tomorrow, considering how many submissions we already have!

Well, at least its less broken now Smile. I won't be changing anything from the card though, I like it as it is.
CharlesT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimensional Double - 3UU
Creature - Shapeshifter (Rare)
Delve
Dimensional Double enters the battlefield as a copy of any face-up exiled card.
"Did you forget?" - Double's reenactment
0/0
sc4rs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CMA-Flippi
Dreamgoyf - 1U - Rare
Dreamgoyf's power is equal to the number of card types among face-up cards in all exile and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1.
*/*+1

"Ach! Akroma, Run! It's the Dreamgoyf! - Ixidor, last words"

I like the idea, it's a neat play off of Tarmogoyf based on the challenge. Unfortunately, it's severely underpowered - unless you specifically build a deck built around capitalizing on it, I can't imagine it being ever any better than a Squire. I think that it fits the challenge very well. The flavor text is a bit too meta, but it did make me chuckle, so bonus points there.

Quote:
axman
Splintered Knowledge 1UU
Enchantment -- Rare
Skip your draw step.
During your upkeep you may return an exiled card you own to your hand.
I prefer the path less traveled

This is a very strange card, especially since it provides no means to get itself started. It forces you to really make sure you're abusing it to even play it in the first place. In addition, I think it'd be extremely degenerate in older formats, with cards like Yawgmoth's Will, All Sun's Dawn, the Wishes. The name is great though. Flavor text is OK.
Quote:
Duodax
Hallowed Rebirth 1W

Sorcery UC

Exile target creature card from your graveyard with 3 time counters on it. If it doesn't have Suspend, it gains Suspend.

I wish they had printed this card, or at least some take on reanimation + Suspend. Unfortunately, what it does with exiled cards isn't exactly new, so it's not really fitting of the challenge, despite being a pretty neat card.
Quote:
Canabiest
Fettered Haint
1WB

Creature - Spirit
(Uncommon)

Haunt (When this creature dies, exile it haunting target creature.)
When Fettered Haint enters the battlefield or the creature it haunts leaves the battlefield, choose target exiled card you own. You may put it on top of your library.

2/1

As long as someone remebers what the Orzhov stood for it can never be banished completely

Haunt is like the worst, most confusing mechanic ever, and you made it hurt my brain even more. However, despite what you might think from that initial statement, I really like this card. It's an extremely clever idea, making it able to get itself back or other Haunt cards back. I think that the rest of the card's shell needs a bit of work though - I'm not sure it's truly "fettered," and it seems like it should have Flying or at least a slightly better/differently shaped body. Love the flavor text.

Quote:
huntergatsby

Arcane Elite 1WU

Human Wizard Soldier (Rare)

First Strike

Whenever a card get's exiled from anywhere put a +1/+1 counter on Arcane Elite

2/2

"The Elite find strength in their memories lost"

Though it's never been done before and it's certainly simple, it doesn't really strike me. It'd be a good staple card in a set about cards being exiled, and it definitely can get pretty big pretty quick if it's protected by some Path to Exiles and Oblivion Rings. The flavor text is a bit plain too. It's good but not great.

Quote:
cloysterd
Reminiscence Loom (Rare)
Artifact

2, T, Sacrifice Reminiscence Loom: You may cast target card face-up exiled card this turn.

It weaves the threads of memory into the fabric of reality.

The first of many cards that don't really fit what I was looking for. Being able to cast exiled cards seems like a bit of a cop-out on the challenge to me - there are plenty of cards out there that exile cards and then cast them. Giving you the ability to cast your opponent's exiled cards is neat, but also not at all practical, and as a one-shot deal, it doesn't really wow me. The flavor text and name are spot-on though.

Quote:
Jacois
The Big Crunch 1
Artifact *Mythic Rare*
T, sacrifice The Big Crunch : Remove all exiled cards from the game. Draw a card.
"I will not simply undo what you have done, I will make sure that it never happened!" -Sorin to Avacyn.

I love it, Wizards would hate it, and the name is a bit too jokey. It's clever, and would combo extremely well with the Parallax cards in older formats, while also having some borderline uses in recent formats with things like Fiend Hunter or Oblivion Ring. All in all, if the name had more thought put into it and/or related to the flavor text better, this would've been a strong contender to win. As is, it falls a bit short.

Quote:
caesarthehun
Feldon's Sylex 1
Artifact (Rare)
T,R : Shuffle an exiled red instant into your deck
T,W : Shuffle an exiled white enchantment into your deck
T,B : Shuffle an exiled artifact into your deck
T,U : Shuffle an exiled blue sorcery into your deck
T,G : Shuffle an exiled green creature into your deck
Ressurect! You can simply remake the thran dear girl.

Being able to get exiled cards back is nice, I guess, but there's already Pull from Eternity, and shuffling them into your deck isn't particularly different. The flavor text is a little wonky, and the name is evocative of a time where multicolor was extremely uncommon, let alone all five colors on a single card. It seems a bit overthought, to me.

Quote:
EMA
Back from Oblivion W

Instant - Uncommon

Return target face-up exiled permanent to the battlefield under its owner's control.

Nothing lasts forever.

Turn 1: Suspend Greater Gargadon
End of opponent's Turn 2: Back from Oblivion, lol

Seems a bit too degenerate at one white mana. It's way good with any of the 1 mana suspend cards, or other 1 mana spells that can exile some cards from your hand (Spoils of the Vault in particular seems like a ridiculous combo with this). I think if you'd bumped up its mana cost a bit it'd have been more balanced. Not sure about the flavor text, either, I think it needs to be specific about the "oblivion-ness" being what doesn't last forever, because otherwise it sounds like you're saying the opposite of what the card does.

Quote:
Stucco
Dimension Shift..............................................................................4UUU
Enchantment.......................................................................................M

As an additional cost to cast Dimension Shift, you may exile any
number permanents you control. Then each player shuffles his or her
hand, graveyard, and all permanents he or she controls into his or
her library and draws seven cards.

The next time you would draw a card, instead you may return a card
exiled by Dimension Shift to your hand.

When traveling from dimension to dimension, it's important to keep
ones memories in tact or risk being lost forever.

A reset switch that lets you get some of the cards back. It's properly costed for cards that actually see print, but that also means it's more or less useless competitively. In addition, returning exiled cards to your hand after you've set them aside seems pretty common as far as what exiled cards do, so it doesn't follow the challenge really well. Name is good, flavor is OK.

Quote:
MassO
Teferi's Protege (1U)

Creature - Wizard (Rare)

Flash

When Teferi's Protege enters the battlefield, return all exiled cards to
their owner's graveyards.

2/1

"I have given you the power to forsake this plane." - Teferi

It does the same thing as Pull from Eternity, so it doesn't really do something "new," but it is excellently designed and has some neat interactions. I like it as a card, but I think that I'm looking for something that's more unique for this challenge.

Quote:
ck3gds
Court Illusionist 1WU

Creature - Human Wizard (rare)

1WU, T: Choose target creature a player controls and target exiled creature card that player owns. If both targets are still legal as this ability resolves, that player simultaneously exiles the creature and returns the creature card to the battlefield.

"And for my next act, your Majesty, behold as I turn this frog into a panther!"

2/2

The language is usually reserved for cards that have errata, but it's a cool effect. It's something that's been done with the graveyard a lot, why not do it with exiled cards? That said, the effect is super, super narrow - only affecting creatures and costing 3 mana to cast and activate, and being a fragile body, seems to make it a bit underpowered. I love the name, but the flavor text is a little predictable. Pretty good submission, here!

Quote:
Gademis
Lost and found UU2

Sorcery - Uncommon

Exile your hand, then look at the exiled cards you own and return that many exiled cards to your hand.

"It's always a joy to find long lost things"

It's an interesting tutor, being able to grab back some cards that were exiled. It'd be a great counter to Surgical Extraction, for example. I think usually it'll be underwhelming, though, as it gives you card disadvantage, it's sorcery speed, and it seems overcosted to me. I was very surprised that the name hadn't been taken yet, and the flavor texts adds to it nicely. Two very good except slightly underpowered submissions in a row!

Quote:
KnowN

Dream Dragon - 1UU
Creature - Dragon (Mythic)

Flying
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may cast an exiled instant or sorcery spell you own with the same name as that spell without playing it's mana cost.

T,: Exile up to two target cards from any graveyard. Target creature gets +X/+0 for each card exiled this way.

1/3

I love the first ability. I love the power/toughness. I love the name. But that second ability is so off-color, and so awkward. There's got to be a better way in blue to exile those cards! It really torpedoed an otherwise really cool Locket of Yesterdays-esque effect for me.

Quote:
pg8
Living Dreams
3WW (Mythic)
Sorcery
Exile all creatures. Then, put each exiled creature card that wasn't exiled this way onto the battlefield under its owner's control.

It's a cool effect, as it could have some pretty devastating consequences if your deck is built around capitalizing on it. I like that it costs 1 less than Final Judgement, but has the drawback of not being able to cast a second one without "freeing" all the creatures you removed the first time. It's like a mass-Helvault or Safe Haven in certain ways, which I really like. I realize that it's meant to fit in with other cards, but making it Mythic already sort of breaks it from tradition - I think with such a simple template, it could stand some flavor text. Not much to criticize here!

Quote:
bugaga
Celestial Snatcher WUU
Creature - Spirit U
Flash, Flying;
When Celestial Snatcher enters the battlefield exile target spell;
When Celestial Snatcher leaves battlefield exiled card's owner plays it without paying it's mana cost.
2/2

I love it as a card; it has a perfect power level. However, it's more like this does something new with spells than with exiling cards. Technically it's never been done before, but the way you used exile has been overdone, and it doesn't have as much originality as some of the other submissions. It's probably the card that I hope Wizards prints the most, though!

Quote:
Dr_Moo
Mirror of the Lost - 4
Artifact
4, T: Put a copy of target exiled permanent into play.
4, T: Copy target exiled Instant or Sorcery. You may play the copy without paying its mana cost.

Another card based around playing/bringing back exiled cards to the battlefield, which isn't quite creative enough considering some of the other cooler things done by your competitors. It's well thought out, sort of like a Quicksilver Amulet type deal, but just not quite "new" enough.

Quote:
yajiko

Tormod the unforgotten 2UB
Legendary creature-human wizard (mythic)

As long as cardname is in play, you may treat all exiled face-up cards you own as though they were in your hand.(you may play cards from this zone and cards with "from your hand" abilities will trigger. If a casted spell from this zone would leave play, put it into graveyard)

"i have searched eons and planes for him, all i found is his crypt - egloog of the web"

3/3

More or less the same thing - casting face-up exiled cards is not particularly exciting, even though the flavor is neat.

Quote:
pseudodespot

Aether Bloodline 2W

Enchantment (rare)

At the beginning of your upkeep you gain life equal to the number of exiled cards you own.

1W; exile a creature card from your graveyard: Put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

Who said divinity is not venal?

Too powerful in older formats. This card can be gaining you 10+ life a turn on turn 3 if played with Spoils of the Vault. Even by itself it takes over a game after only two or three tokens produced. I think it's a cool take on Night Soil-esque effects, and I can tell it's costed to try to be similar to, say, Sacred Mesa - but the drawback of removing your creatures from the graveyard doesn't seem like enough. I think maybe if you had "gain life equal to the number of face-up exiled creatures you own" it'd be mostly balanced? Still not sure.

Quote:
Mr_Weebles

Repentant Angel - 4WW
Creature - Angel (Mythic)

Flying

Whenever Repentant Angel deals damage to a creature, exile that creature.
Repentant Angel gets +1/+1 for each exiled creature card.

3/4

"I will never forget the lives I've taken."

I always like cards that have flavor that play into their mechanics. However, despite the flavor trying to refit it, it seems far more like a Sengir Vampire-esque black effect. In addition, it seems like taking lives should make it weaker, based on the flavor. I also think it's a bit overcosted - I think you could've gotten away with a 4/4 at least, considering it doesn't have first strike and will probably not be exiling many creatures that it wouldn't be dying to. Lastly, the second ability needs a "face-up."
Quote:
Azania

Here is my entry:

Change of Mind ~ 2U
Instant ~ Rare

Choose target card in a players hand and target exiled card. If both targets are still legal as this ability resolves, that player simultaneously exiles the target card in her or her hand and put target exiled card to his or her hand.

"Hmm no, this is not the way to go, I need a different plan" ~ Mahamoti Djinn

Targeting cards in hidden zones is a bit messy, unfortunately. I'm not sure this card can work as you envision, especially since putting cards that a player doesn't own into his or her hand is a big no-no. If this could only affect you, I think it'd work better within the rules, and would also make more sense - you're going to have an easier time changing your own mind than your opponent's! I like that you can pitch a land card for something more useful, but ultimately, it's very underpowered (like Lost and Found earlier), and on unstable footing rules-wise.

Quote:
Balaviaris
Out worldly bolt R

Instant Uncommon

Out worldly bolt deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Gateway: 1RR (You may cast this spell for its gateway cost if its exiled.)

"Where did that come from?"

I like the idea of being able to have reusable spells if you find ways to exile them. The use of exile itself, though, is still "cast this from exile if XYZ" which lots of people in this contest did, so it's not quite as original as the ability seems. The name should probably be "Otherworldly Bolt."

Quote:
Lostwanderer
Void Runes 1UR
Enchantment-Mythic Rare
URX:Cast target exiled instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost X
They wondered why these runes had never been seen before, It became aprent shortly after.

Casting exiled cards again! It's cool that you can cast your opponents spells at a premium but it's just not exciting enough to me.

Quote:
DoomBr1nger

Aetherborn Dreamshaper - 1UB

Creature - Spirit Wizard (R)

At the beginning of your upkeep, you may return target exiled card to its owner's hand. If you do, exile a card from your hand.

1, Pay 1 life, Exile a card from your hand: Draw a card.

Linger in dreams too long, and lose your reality.

1/3

That second ability is pretty powerful when you can get back anything you pitch if you need it later! It's a really well thought out card, considering you can't cycle too much or you'll take a ton of damage and be at the mercy of your 1/3 dying if you want to get anything back. I think it could've been a little more interesting with what it did with exiled cards, but it's a very cool submission with great flavor.

Quote:
CharlesT

Dimensional Double - 3UU
Creature - Shapeshifter (Rare)
Delve
Dimensional Double enters the battlefield as a copy of any face-up exiled card.
"Did you forget?" - Double's reenactment
0/0

I think this is borderline too good. It's 2UU for a Zombify at absolute worst, and could definitely be crazy good if specifically abused. I like the idea of it a lot, though the ability to use it at a whim to be a reanimation spell sort of makes it less exotic. Nicely thought out, though the flavor text attribution really confuses me.

The card that I think does the most interesting thing with exiled cards, that hasn't been done before, is....

...Canabiest with Fettered Haint! A card that can help its friends back from exile while simultaneously coming back from the zone itself is certainly weird and wonderful on its own, but it got put over the top because it also makes me feel that thrill of "this is what Haunt could've/should've been!"

Runners up: Doombr1nger with Aetherborn Dreamshaper, and pg8 with Living Dreams.

There were lots of cool entries, though, props to all of you. I really had fun judging this round and thinking about how to use all the cool interactions. Good job all.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3