Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Build my sealed pool

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Build my sealed pool Reply with quote

This was my pool for GP Nashville. How would you have built it? I will post my own build in a few days.

Mono-colored spells with off-color flashbacks are listed under Gold

LAND
Clifftop Retreat
Haunted Fengraf
Vault of the Archangel

ARTIFACT
Chalice of Life
Galvanic Juggernaut
Jar of Eyeballs

GOLD
Burning Oil
Burning Oil
Diregraf Captain
Feeling of Dread
Lingering Souls
Ray of Revelation
Reap the Seagraf
Saving Grasp
Wild Hunger
Wild Hunger

WHITE
Doomed Traveler
Elder Cathar
Elite Inquisitor
Hollowhenge Spirit
Mentor of the Meek
Nibilis of the Mist
Purify the Grave
Sanctuary Cat
Sanctuary Cat
Skillful Lunge
Skillful Lunge
Thraben Heretic

BLUE
Bone to Ash
Claustrophobia
Curiosity
Curse of the Bloody Tome
Divination
Headless Skaab
Invisible Stalker
Lost in the Mist
Selhoff Occultist
Soul Seizer
Stitched Drake
Stitcher's Apprentice
Thought Scour

BLACK
Diregraf Ghoul
Disciple of Griselbrand
Falkenrath Noble
Ghoulcaller's Chant
Gruesome Discovery
Manor Skeleton
Markov Patrician
Morkrut Banshee
Screeching Bat
Tragic Slip
Tragic Slip
Typhoid Rats
Undying Evil
Victim of Night
Wakedancer

RED
Brimstone Volley
Furor of the Bitten
Hanweir Watchkeep
Harvest Pyre
Heckling Fiends
Infernal Plunge
Nearheath Stalker
Pyreheart Wolf
Riot Devils
Scorch the Fields
Scorch the Fields
Scourge of Geier Reach
Torch Fiend
Tormented Pariah
Traitorous Blood

GREEN
Ambush Viper
Ambush Viper
Crushing Vines
Darkthicket Wolf
Darkthicket Wolf
Dawntreader Elk
Dawntreader Elk
Increasing Savagery
Kindercatch
Mulch
Ranger's Guile
Scorned Villager
Somberwald Dryad
pg8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diregraf Ghoul
Falkenrath Noble
Manor Skeleton
Markov Patrician
Morkrut Banshee
Screeching Bat
Tragic Slip
Tragic Slip
Typhoid Rats
Undying Evil
Victim of Night
Wakedancer

Brimstone Volley
Hanweir Watchkeep
Nearhearth Stalker
Pyreheart Wolf
Riot Devils
Torch Fiend
Tormented Paraiah

Galvanic Juggernaut

Burning Oil
Burning Oil
Lingering Souls

Clifftop Retreat
Plains (2)
Swamp ( 8 )
Mountain (5)
Vault of the Archangel

Black is obviously the best color in this pool. White and blue have almost nothing, whereas green has some good creatures and red has creatures and burn. I picked red because it allowed the splash for Burning Oil x2 and Lingering Souls with a bonus Clifftop Retreat.

The only cards in this build with double mana costs are Victim of Night, Morkrut Banshee, and Screeching Bat. Only the bat actually wants to be played on curve. Hopefully, this should take some of the edge off of the 3 color manabase and allow for Vault of the Archangel, which may actually be incorrect. Either way, I think the splash is worth losing some moderately powerful cards like Scourge of Geier Reach.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
That is a pool dude!

Green offers a lot of solid 2 drops but nothing beyond that. Increasing savagery is fine but nothing that would make me want to play green.

Blue offers nothing consistent. There are good cards but not for one and the same archetype. Also it seems a bit swallow.

White is interesting. it has a Lingering Souls. Combined with the Vault you pretty much have to consider that color combination. White grants you also a number of little dudes and a mentor, which should combine pretty well. At that point crosscheck with black to see if it is really worth it.

Black has some sick cardboard to offer. with double Slip and Victim you can make up for the lag of removal in white. In addition you find a Falkenrath Noble, Screeching Bat and a Wake Dancer. Which all work well with the Mentor

At this point it is almost irrelevant what red has to offer, since red is a weak color in that format. But maybe you find something worth splashing for. The Clifftop Retreat makes that decision a little easier.

Red basically offers just a Brimstone Volley. That alone would be far from enough to justify the splash but with two burning oil it is a different matter.
Note that burning oil is better in a defensive deck than in an aggro deck, since killing a blocker does not undo the time lost by your blocked dude.

Lands:
1 Vault of the archangel
1 Clifftop Retreat

Creatures:
1 Doomed Traveler
1 Elder Cathar
1 Elite inquisitor
1 Hollowhenge Spirit
1 Niblis of the Mist
1 Mentor of the meek
1 thraben Heretic

1 Falkenrath Noble
1 Wake Dancer
1 Screeching Bat

Spells:
2 burning Oil
1 Brimstone Volley
1 Victim of Night
2 Tragic Slip
1 Lingering Souls

17 nonlands so far. There is no indication on this needing more or less than 17 lands so we are looking for 6 Slots to fill.

First this deck needs more dudes.
In Black we find a Markov Patrician, which is ok in an aggressive deck but more at home in a defensive deck to buy time. Luckily the deck offers a lot of removal to make a path for that fragile beater.
Also in Black there is a certain Banshee, which i would never consider in ISD only sealed, but with DKA and tragic slip there is room for her. Morbid is turned on a lot easier and more frequent lately.
Diregraf Ghoul is not that bad of a card, but since this deck is not a dedicated aggrodeck it could be out of place. At least it is in the main colors. Reckles Waif would never have a chance in this.

3 Slots to go.

excuse me, 2 Slots *puts Juggernaut into deck*

1 Slot can be filled with a Skillfull Lunge. Sadly that is the only combat trick available. So lastly it would seem like Undying Evil is the final card. I am not impressed with it so far. It can be a total blowout, but without something else to do it is way too obvious.
The 2 Slips should solve that issue.

Final Deck would look like this:

Lands:
1 Vault of the archangel
1 Clifftop Retreat
6 Plains
7 Swamps
2 Mountain

Creatures:
1 Doomed Traveler
1 Elder Cathar
1 Elite inquisitor
1 Hollowhenge Spirit
1 Niblis of the Mist
1 Mentor of the meek
1 Thraben Heretic

1 Falkenrath Noble
1 Wake Dancer
1 Screeching Bat
1 Diregraf Ghoul
1 Morkrut Banshee
1 Markov Patrician

1 Galvanic Juggernaut

Spells:
2 burning Oil
1 Brimstone Volley
1 Victim of Night
2 Tragic Slip
1 Lingering Souls
1 Undying Evil
1 Skillful Lunge

Sadly there is no way to fetch a red source so we need to live with 2 Mountains, but what can you do?
Jeyo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brimstone Volley
Hanweir Watchkeep
Pyreheart Wolf
Ambush Viper
Ambush Viper
Crushing Vines
Darkthicket Wolf
Darkthicket Wolf
Dawntreader Elk
Dawntreader Elk
Increasing Savagery
Kindercatch
Ranger's Guile
Scorned Villager
Somberwald Dryad
Burning Oil
Burning Oil
Wild Hunger
Wild Hunger
Galvanic Juggernaut
Mentor of the Meek
Torch Fiend
Tormented Pariah
Clifftop Retreat
Plains x 1
Forest x 9
Mountain x 6

I'm a big fan of the little guys with big tricks plan in this format. Green offers the best assortment of good two drops while simultaneously enabling a white splash with the two Dawntreader Elks for the flashback on two Burning Oils and also the card drawing engine in Mentor of the Meek. This lets the deck make the most of both Wild Hunger and Burning Oil while getting ahead on the board with all the early 2 drops. Wild Hunger is nice with both Kindercatch and Juggernaught, and fine for trading up your smaller creatures wth bigger ones. Red is a good secondary colour because of the Burning Oils, flashback on Wild Hunger, and the Brimstone Volley and although it doesn't offer much in the way of guys, it does keep to the early aggressive plan with more early threats that are always nice when backed with either one of the flashback spells. Increasing Savagery is pretty good, since the flashback is reasonable and can just steal games with the Dryad or Pyreheart Wolf. The black and white cards also looked pretty deep, but with the extra value on the flashback cards, I think this build would end up having the most reach.
Ashmatan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm almost card for card with pseudo:
juggs
doomed traveler
cathar
inquisitor
hollowhenge
mentor of the meek
niblis
burning oil x 2
lingering souls
BSV
diegraf ghoul
falkenrath noble
morkrut banshee
bat
slip x 2
undying evil--> i <3 this card !!!!
victim of night
wakedancer
markov patrician
pyreheart wolf--> i think he's underrated
thraben heretic
------------------
clifftop retreat
vault --> game-swinger\concession-maker
2 mountains
6 plains
7 swamp
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as promised, here is the build I ended up playing. Maybe I undervalued the black, and I really wanted to play those 2 tragic slips, but I'm not sure I would have been happy with any build of this pool. Looking back on it, I overvalued Wild Hunger during deckbuilding and I should have re-evaluated my color choices when I decided to cut the second copy. Playing the Elite Inquisitor was a risky choice, but didn't backfire on me nearly as badly as I deserved. Jar of Eyeballs was awesome in one game and pretty worthless the rest of the time; I ended up siding it out more than any other card.

7 Forest
4 Mountain
4 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Clifftop Retreat
1 Vault of the Archangel

1 Jar of Eyeballs
1 Galvanic Juggernaut

1 Wild Hunger
2 Burning Oil
1 Lingering Souls

1 Doomed Traveler
1 Elite Inquisitor
1 Hollowhenge Spirit
1 Mentor of the Meek
1 Nibilis of the Mist

1 Brimstone Volley
1 Nearheath Stalker
1 Pyreheart Wolf
1 Torch Fiend

2 Ambush Viper
2 Darkthicket Wolf
2 Dawntreader Elk
1 Increasing Savagery
1 Scorned Villager

Relevant sideboard:
Crushing Vines
Ranger's Guile
Somberwald Dryad
Harvest Pyre
Traitorous Blood
Thraben Heretic
Ray of Revelation
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1