Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BGU Deck: Hinterland Harbor

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks
styx^

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Kibler's UGr Dredge List, 2/21/12
Creatures (26)
4 Birds of Paradise
2 Boneyard Wurm
4 Screeching Skaab
2 Armored Skaab
3 Daybreak Ranger
4 Splinterfright
2 Dungeon Geists
1 Kessig Cagebreaker
4 Ghoultree
Spells (11)
4 Faithless Looting
3 Mulch
4 Tracker's Instincts Lands (23)
4 Copperline Gorge
3 Hinterland Harbor
3 Sulfur Falls
6 Island
1 Mountain
4 Forest
2 Evolving Wilds
Sideboard:
2 Negate
2 Flashfreeze
1 Phantasmal Image
2 Ancient Grudge
2 Thrun, the Last Troll
2 Gnaw to the Bone
2 Grim Lavamancer
1 Ratchet Bomb

Pretty cheap deck that can win tourney's (FNM-Level) and is in your colors of choice. Since i'm too tired to think of any other advice atm.
struikje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youre deck runs way to few creatures! especially when you have kessig cagebreakers,ghoultree and wreath of geists (horrible card btw), you want more little creatures. Also with having 3 9 drops, an 8drop and 2 7 mana cost cards, you either need to run less auras (none), or more ramp and less big creatures.

If you have mana leaks as counterspells, try swapping those for the negates. Creeping corrosion is only good if you know your brother plays ALOT of artifacts. Otherwise a naturalize is much better a choice.
Ffancrzy
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pisces wrote:
struikje wrote:
youre deck runs way to few creatures! especially when you have kessig cagebreakers,ghoultree and wreath of geists (horrible card btw), you want more little creatures. Also with having 3 9 drops, an 8drop and 2 7 mana cost cards, you either need to run less auras (none), or more ramp and less big creatures.

If you have mana leaks as counterspells, try swapping those for the negates. Creeping corrosion is only good if you know your brother plays ALOT of artifacts. Otherwise a naturalize is much better a choice.
Yes, but like I said, I have a bunch of Mind controls and plenty of mana to use them sparingly. This helps the Ghoultree issue but then I think back to Wreath of Geists, it's pretty useless and I should swap it. Also, I agree with the "no auras" thing. It should go in another deck...

So, with this deck, having expensive cards isn't the problem, but getting creatures is. However, I can count to have 4 more than it looks like only because of Mind Control. Also, the Umbras are for added protection (due to Totem Armor).

And this is faceted toward a specific deck of his that relies on Artifacts, so Creeping Corrosion would be helpful. On the other hand, is it worth having a couple Naturalizes in decks? Are Artifacts more popular than I think?

Mind Control isn't good with Ghoultree, Cards like Trackers instinct, mulch and the Skaabs that mill yourself are.
magicman85

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artifacts are pretty popular, I don't know what format you are planning on playing, but in vintage most decks have at least like 25% artifacts. Even in standard now lots of people like running the Swords.
pg8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume your deck is casual, since you are definitely not bringing Spider Umbra to a Vintage tournament Very Happy

If your only opponent is playing an artifact-heavy brew and you don't play any, corrosion is fine. Keep in mind that it probably will make your games a lot less fun, especially if that is his only deck.

Having 4 Mind Control does not make up for your inability to do anything at all the first few turns of the game. If you only ever play against UW, he will have Mana Leak by the time you get to 5. If you play against other colors, you will die by the time you get to 5 and probably only steal a little guy. It's an awesome card, especially outside of powerful formats, but don't expect it to win games by itself when you do nothing else.

Re: 5 auras and Aura Finesse
These are not good cards, especially in a deck that wants to play control (and "creatures matter" cards). Scenario: Kessig Cagebreakers. Cast Snake Umbra! Opponent Doom Blades in response. ... Well shit. Best case scenario, you have a slightly larger guy that should have won the game for you anyway.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1