Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

grand architect deck

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
yesm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: grand architect deck Reply with quote

I played in a grand prix qualifier today with a deck I built around grand architect. I didn't expect to do nearly as well as I did and it was an extremely fun deck to play. I hadn't had a chance to playtest the deck before the tourny so I will post the changes I have made since the tourney after the decklist. I finished in second place losing in the finals to the same zombies deck that was my only loss in the rounds of swiss.

opponents decks
mono green aggro
red green ramp
red deck wins
u/r/g ramp with snapcasters and mana leaks
lost to u/b zombies

final 8
u/r/b ramp with snapcasters and mana leaks
mono black infest
lost to the same u/b zombies

decklist

4 grand architect
4 delver
4 snapcaster
2 wurmcoil engine
3 spined thopter
4 phyrexian metemorph
1 spine of ish sah
4 vapor snag
4 g probe
4 mana leak
4 ponder

2 fengraf haunt (was surprisingly good)
2 phyrexias core

The point of the deck is to drop a grand architect on the 3rd turn and either drop a wurmcoil that turn or wait a turn and play a wurmcoil and have counterspell mana available. If you cant go the wurmcoil route starting the game t1 delver, t2 thopter, turn 3 architect, tap 2 creatures to metemorph copying the architect attack with 5/4 delver is a pretty solid start. Playing a 3rd turn architect and then tapping it and another creature to copy it with a metemorph was money all day. At that point your opponent has got to deal with that and ur gonna untap and have tons of mana to cast a wurmcoil and still have counter magic mana.

In hindsight the spine of ish sah was too slow and never really helped me. I was siding out spined thopters every match and I was very weak against zombies. The deck ended up relieing on wurmcoil engine more than I thought it would.

So considering this after the tournament I took out the 3 spined thopters and replaced them with 3 spellskite. The spellskites should be a great early blocker against zombies and allow met to protect a turn 3 architect against most decks. I also replaced the spine of ish sah with a 3rd wurmcoil and then without the spine there is no need to play the phyrexian core so that becomes 2 burried ruins.

-3 spined thopter
-1 spine of ish sah
+3 spellskite
+1 wurmcoil

This deck is loads of fun to play and rolled a lot of different styles of decks today. I think the changes I made after the tourney will help a lot with consistency by adding a good early blocker that also acts as a way to protect a third turn architect.

What do you think? Suggestions? I'd really like to fit solemn simalacrum into the deck to have a second way of ramping into the wurmcoils but for now Im gonna go with the spellskites until Ive had a chance to playtest further. I think the spellskites will be better in such an aggro meta.
magicman85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lands are suspect. I would try to go 2 colors. After seeing uw delver dominate the format i would say go uw maybe some equipments and moorland haunt?
yesm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this deck started out with the u/w land and moreland haunts but the haunts just werent worth having lands that were sometimes coming into play tapped.
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tresure mage? that artifact dragon that destroys permanents? seem like good adition to a grand architect deck. also, with mage, 1 spine seems good, dunno. if you try something of these, plz post it. gl.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1