Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sponsoring with prize money sharing?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
KeySam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Sponsoring with prize money sharing? Reply with quote

Is it allowed for someone to get sponsored (lets say get the travel cost covered for a gp) and in exchange split the potential prize with the one sponsoring him or would that already count as betting?

MfG KeySam
JasonC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get sponsored by my employer for every Event i'll travel too. (Cause he pays me my salary) As far as I know nobody asked me to share my boosters yet....

I don't see any Problem besides that if you don't finish in the Money there is an upset Sponsor running after you....
KeySam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that i dont work, the thing is i got asked if i would be interested in something like this ( and no they wont go crazy if i dont win), i am just asking myself if wizards sees this as betting, because it kind of is and people got dqd for stuff like that, thats why i wanted to know. But it didnt sounded like you know how the DCI handles these things.

KeySam
sc4rs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.3 Wagering
Tournament participants, tournament officials, and spectators may not wager, ante, or bet on any portion (including the outcome) of a tournament, match, or game.

Staking is in fact banned by the DCI, it is tantamount to betting on the outcome of a tournament.

I have no idea how they'd find out about it if it was just travel costs and you agreed to everything in person, but if they did somehow magically find out about it, you can be sure that you would be punished for it.
KeySam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i guess i wont do it then it just seemed like a fun idea... Thanks KeySam
magicman85

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sponsor is not "betting". Betting is between 2 people who think different people are going to win. For example, "I think this guy is going to win and I'll put 100$ on it".

Sponsor's usually pay for your travel in exchange for some type of advertising.

In your case, I would say if you win the prizes then you should be able to share them with whomever you want.
Xerocious

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes borrow cards from friends for tournaments. If I win boosters I will give them to those people as a gesture of gratefulness.
Being sponsored is actually the same, don't you think?
I don't think there's anything bad about it.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicman85 wrote:
A sponsor is not "betting". Betting is between 2 people who think different people are going to win. For example, "I think this guy is going to win and I'll put 100$ on it".

Sponsor's usually pay for your travel in exchange for some type of advertising.

In your case, I would say if you win the prizes then you should be able to share them with whomever you want.

If the sponsor's repayment is in the form of advertisement, of course you can do it. That's obviously completely legal.

Paying the sponsor with product is betting on the tournament's outcome. It's called staking, and it's commonly done in poker tournaments ("I will buy x% of your action, in return for x% of the prize you win").

Xerocious wrote:
I sometimes borrow cards from friends for tournaments. If I win boosters I will give them to those people as a gesture of gratefulness.
Being sponsored is actually the same, don't you think?
I don't think there's anything bad about it.

Borrowing cards that you give back to someone is not the same as being paid money.

Giving someone packs after you win them is not the same as promising packs to someone before you win them.

It is not the same at all. You guys can argue as much as you want with me, but I can guarantee you that if the DCI caught you promising someone packs you won in return for money up front, you and the person paying you would both get sanctioned.

I don't agree with it necessarily, don't get me wrong, but that's how the DCI views it.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Players are allowed to share prizes they have not yet received in the current tournament as they wish and may agree as such before or during their match, as long as any such sharing does not occur in exchange for any game or match result or the dropping of a player from the tournament

http://www.wizards.com/ContentResources/Wizards/WPN/Main/Documents/Magic_The_Gathering_Tournament_Rules_PDF2.pdf
sc4rs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xJudicatorx wrote:
Quote:
Players are allowed to share prizes they have not yet received in the current tournament as they wish and may agree as such before or during their match, as long as any such sharing does not occur in exchange for any game or match result or the dropping of a player from the tournament

http://www.wizards.com/ContentResources/Wizards/WPN/Main/Documents/Magic_The_Gathering_Tournament_Rules_PDF2.pdf

That refers to sharing prizes between two players that are both in the tournament, which is also different from the situation described in this thread.
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreeing to give some amount of your prize to someone else in exchange for them covering your travel expenses or paying for your deck or your entry fee is perfectly fine. This is not gambling and it is not bribery.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say technically scars is right but clarix probably more reflects wizards views on the procedure.
coboney

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to the rules generally speaking Clariax is the best you'll find here and he's a Real Life judge too if I recall correctly so I would say you should give his opinion the most weight Keysam. Just tossing in my 2 cents.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1