Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Rock (B/g Zombies)

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
scopeless

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: The Rock (B/g Zombies) Reply with quote

-The Rock-
By: Scopeless
Last Modified: 2/27/12 @ 11AM CST

// Lands
11 [M12] Swamp (2)
4 [DKA] Evolving Wilds
2 [DKA] Grim Backwoods
4 [ISD] Woodland Cemetery
3 [M12] Forest (4)

// Creatures
4 [DKA] Gravecrawler
2 [ISD] Diregraf Ghoul
4 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
2 [M12] Cemetery Reaper
4 [DKA] Geralf's Messenger
1 [NPH] Phyrexian Obliterator
1 [M12] Solemn Simulacrum
1 [ISD] Morkrut Banshee
1 [M12] Primeval Titan
1 [M12] Acidic Slime
3 [M12] Birds of Paradise

// Spells
4 [ISD] Altar's Reap
2 [MBS] Mortarpod
2 [MBS] Black Sun's Zenith
1 [MBS] Go for the Throat
1 [NPH] Beast Within
1 [ISD] Sever the Bloodline
2 [NPH] Birthing Pod

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [NPH] Beast Within
SB: 1 [ISD] Sever the Bloodline
SB: 1 [NPH] Life's Finale
SB: 2 [NPH] Surgical Extraction
SB: 2 [M12] Naturalize
SB: 2 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
SB: 2 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil

I remember playing "The Rock" decks in much older formats. They utilized low to mid-range creatures that were tough to kill or provide advantage of their own. The rest was taken care of by black's creature removal and green for mana consistency/other removal. I had been tinkering with a B/W version of an Altar's Reap deck before DKA came out (you can search the forums for a deck topic titled "The Expendables"). It performed moderately well, but it suffered from an inconsistent manabase and was a turn too slow (not many "expendable" mid-rangers at the time).

Fast forward to today. We now have Gravecrawler and Geralf's Messenger at our disposal. These creatures are clearly superior to any white option I had before, so I took out white and dove into the inconsistent manabase. There are no good zombie two-drops (lol, Highborn Ghoul), so I searched MWS for the best green two drops. It was obvious...Viridian Shaman. I rounded it out with 2x Beast Within for planeswalkers, artifacts, and enchantments. I added a little more consistency with 4x Evolving Wilds and 2x Rampant Growth. I changed the other creatures a bit with 1x Skeleton (to dodge Surgical Extraction and as a nice EOT -> Grim Backwoods late game option) and 3x Cemetery Reaper (pump as well as MD tech against the mirror and Unburial Rites decks).

I now know from making that old B/W Reap deck what people in the discussion were talking about it not being good enough before. The B/W Reap won about 50% (against some jank though). This deck, on the other hand, is a consistent monster. I have won matches against every deck in the meta and often. I'm well over 75% match wins and most of the losses were from earlier versions...

BUT...

I want to take it public because I'm still wondering if I can make a couple minor tweaks MD and SB. Should I add one big green beatstick? Should I add a 1x Increasing Savagery or is the GG mana too much? Enough zombies in your opinion? Am I missing an obvious +1 of something?

Thanks!

EDIT:

-Changes to the Deck as of 2/27/12-
-1 [DKA] Increasing Ambition
-1 [M12] Swamp
-1 [M12] Reassembling Skeleton
-1 [M12] Cemetery Reaper
-1 [NPH] Beast Within (+1 SB)
-1 [NPH] Life's Finale
-1 [DKA] Tragic Slip (-1 SB)
-2 [M12] Rampant Growth
-1 [NPH] Phyrexian Obliterator (+1 SB)
+1 [MBS] Go for the Throat (-1 SB)
+1 [M12] Solemn Simulacrum
+1 [ISD] Morkrut Banshee
+1 [M12] Primeval Titan
+1 [M12] Acidic Slime
+2 [NPH] Birthing Pod
+3 [M12] Birds of Paradise
-1 SB [NPH] Batterskull
-1 SB [DKA] Chalice of Life
+1 SB [NPH] Dismember
+1 SB Geth's Verdict

I added a pod build for more consistency and fetching more gerlaf's faster (i.e. winning faster). Only put in 2 because it's not the focus of the deck. It's an aggro deck first and a pod deck second. I changed the SB to reflect the true reason I lose to R...not lack of lifegain, but lack of quick, bigger-than-Tragic Slip removal. 2x Mortapod works fine enough on that front, I decided.

Don't be afraid to go swamp->crawler->pass, swamp->attack->pass, eot Altar's Reap. Getting card advantage early while still damaging the opponent IS THE KEY TO THE DECK. You'll be able reanimate Gravecrawler easily after essentially drawing three cards EOT (incl. your next draw).

@GunsAndDope: I added Birds. >_<

Last edited by scopeless on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Mrrr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about altar's reap in general. Fiddling around with (mono black) zombies a bit at the moment and I find it takes quite some effort for an effect that's somewhat mediocre. If you cast it off gravecrawler it's 2 cards for 1BB, if you cast it off skeleton it's two cards for 2BB. Quite often you wouldn't want to cast it off Messenger because you'd rather have a 3/2 that's a sincere pain in the ass for your opponent because of its ability. Then again, if you time it right it can be a winner.
A copy of Ghoulcaller's chant might be an idea. Fetching back two zombies and then swarming the board with gravecrawlers can be quite convenient.
GunsAndDope

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run birds of paradise.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabal therapy is what made the old rock decks good.
scopeless

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrrr wrote:
I'm not sure about altar's reap in general. Fiddling around with (mono black) zombies a bit at the moment and I find it takes quite some effort for an effect that's somewhat mediocre. If you cast it off gravecrawler it's 2 cards for 1BB, if you cast it off skeleton it's two cards for 2BB. Quite often you wouldn't want to cast it off Messenger because you'd rather have a 3/2 that's a sincere pain in the ass for your opponent because of its ability. Then again, if you time it right it can be a winner.
A copy of Ghoulcaller's chant might be an idea. Fetching back two zombies and then swarming the board with gravecrawlers can be quite convenient.

I usually don't cast reap until turn 3 or 4 and usually at EOT or in response to removal...netting more card advantage. You're also forgetting about reaping Shaman!

@GunsAndDope: I usually don't have the mana for a 1st turn G creature. Obliterater and Messenger force me to go heavy black, so I'd rather not change the manabase too much when I'd rather just have a 2-power creature out there turn one.

@ManfredByron: If only that were reprinted >_<
GunsAndDope

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should cut G then, it's doing you absolutely no good. Also, +2 Diergraf.
scopeless

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing me good = Birds of Paradise?
GunsAndDope

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scopeless wrote:
Doing me good = Birds of Paradise?

If you were gonna run GB or Bg, then yes, it would. However, there is absolutely no reason to run green in your deck. Cut out all the nonvbasics for swamps, run Lashwrithe.
scopeless

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Changes to the Deck as of 2/27/12-
-1 [DKA] Increasing Ambition
-1 [M12] Swamp
-1 [M12] Reassembling Skeleton
-1 [M12] Cemetery Reaper
-1 [NPH] Beast Within (+1 SB)
-1 [NPH] Life's Finale
-1 [DKA] Tragic Slip (-1 SB)
-2 [M12] Rampant Growth
-1 [NPH] Phyrexian Obliterator (+1 SB)
+1 [MBS] Go for the Throat (-1 SB)
+1 [M12] Solemn Simulacrum
+1 [ISD] Morkrut Banshee
+1 [M12] Primeval Titan
+1 [M12] Acidic Slime
+2 [NPH] Birthing Pod
+3 [M12] Birds of Paradise
-1 SB [NPH] Batterskull
-1 SB [DKA] Chalice of Life
+1 SB [NPH] Dismember
+1 SB Geth's Verdict

I added a pod build for more consistency and fetching more gerlaf's faster (i.e. winning faster). Only put in 2 because it's not the focus of the deck. It's an aggro deck first and a pod deck second. I changed the SB to reflect the true reason I lose to R...not lack of lifegain, but lack of quick, bigger-than-Tragic Slip removal. 2x Mortapod works fine enough on that front, I decided.

Don't be afraid to go swamp->crawler->pass, swamp->attack->pass, eot Altar's Reap. Getting card advantage early while still damaging the opponent IS THE KEY TO THE DECK. You'll be able reanimate Gravecrawler easily after essentially drawing three cards EOT (incl. your next draw).

@GunsAndDope: I added Birds. >_<
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1