Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mana Ramp Bomb DKA/ISD Sealed pool

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
LuckyDucky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Mana Ramp Bomb DKA/ISD Sealed pool Reply with quote

Lots of mana ramp, some medium sized creatures, and some good big stuff

When I first looked at this pool, I wasn't sure what to do as I thought black, blue, and white were rather weak and there wasn't much red. Additionally, Elbrus and helvault aren't too spectacular...

But I have lots of mana ramping Very Happy

What would you do different?

http://pastebin.com/wB0kQgyn

sc4rs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest:

-1 Traveler's Amulet
-1 Caravan Vigil
-2 Forest
+2 Mountain
+1 Prey Upon
+1 Hunger of the Howlpack

Since nothing you have costs GG, I think you don't need to have Traveler's Amulet and Caravan Vigil instead of more Mountains. It'll be extremely unlikely that you don't draw any forests with 12 in your deck, and 5 Mountains will give you 1 most of the time and hopefully 2 by the time you hit Into the Maw. You have Dawntreader Elk to help with that as well. Vigil usually isn't mana accel, and Amulet never is mana accel, so I don't think you need them.

On the other hand, Prey Upon is removal, and since you have pretty big creatures, it should be very good. Hunger of the Howlpack plays nicely with your Avacyn's Pilgrims, since you can ramp into a bigger creature, and if they manage to kill it you can make your Pilgrims into 4/4s - big enough that they need to be dealt with as well.

That is a crazy lot of good green cards though!
LuckyDucky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your reasoning makes good sense but you don't think thinning the deck is worth playing the amulet/vigil?

I agree, with more mountains, I wouldn't have needed their mana-fixing help.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All else equal, I think you'd rather have a spell that can affect the game than a spell that just thins your deck. Having a spell that thins your deck gives you virtual card advantage while having a spell that's relevant is a card that actually does things.

Prey Upon is definitely better than merely thinning your deck. I could see an argument for leaving Caravan Vigil in over Hunger of the Howlpack perhaps, but I think it's a good enough trick to include.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1