Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GW Turbo Fog

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
cloysterd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not Turbofog, it's just control with a bunch of Fogs. Turbofog would have Rites of Flourishing and lots of other card drawing. Blue gives you that, Snapcaster (more Fog!) and big Jace (more cards, and a win condition).

Edit: Incidentally, a singleton Praetor's Counsel gives you the chance to get back several Fogs in a shot. I play a budget (no Snapcaster) version of this on MODO and Counsel is a backbreaker.
magicman85

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you need some kind of draw engine to make sure you have a fog every turn?
cloysterd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're running Chalice, Blunt the Assault is vastly superior to Moonmist. You probably want 4 of them.

Suture Priest does very little here, since tokens is a good matchup for you. You want Simulacrum for the blocking and cards.

Another way to get some extra cards and gain life is Druidic Satchel. It has nice synergy with the Elk (search and shuffle if you don't like your top card).
cloysterd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast Within makes a lot of sense as a catchall sideboard option since you're not going to be very scared of the dork it makes. In particular it handles planeswalkers you would otherwise struggle to deal with. You also probably want Autumn's Veil vs. control (and maybe Nevermore as well). The other spots depend on whatever you expect to run into a lot of.
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no blue in this deck is nonsense.
also, how are you planning to kill? swinging with thrun? if that's the plan i should say that's not a plan. and the chalice thing is really weird, a single revoker and done.
besides snapcaster, a must in this kind of deck, 1 or 2 jace are quite ok, also blue sun zenith (either targetting you or your opponent for faster mill) or the new UX flashback milling sorcery in DKA. all of those could work as finishers. also gives access to another soft fog effect, hysterical blindness, and could change the elk for ponder for an early piece finder, either lands or fog effects.
in your main colors i lack stonehorn dignatary and of course beast within, at least 2 maindeck. tokens on your opps side should not scare you. also simulacrum, which is >>>>>>elk.
an artifact that could fit is ghoulcaller's bell. the graveyard cage is usefull too, helps with undying after a DoJ and avoids flashback decks going on. of course, if you side this in you take snapcasters out.
i love turbofog decks, but this you're trying to build is neither turbofog nor WG aggro control, it's an hybrid that does not have the goods of neither of those decks.

3 birds of paradise
3 solemn simulacrum
2 stonehorn dignatary
3 snapcaster mage

4 fog
4 clinging mists
3 blunt the assault

4 rites of flourishing (enough ramp here and with birds and simulacrum)
3 ghoulcaller's bell

2 day of judgement
1 blue sun zenith
2 increasing confusion
2 jace, memory adept

those are 36 cards. could make -1 bird +1 land. also could change the dignatary or the bells for ponder, just a matter of testing. also room for 2 beast within should be found. even jace could go out. but i think that's the way to go with fog.deck (even knowing that's far from a perfect list).
lucksick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually been trying to slap a rogue fog deck together since the past week or so.

I'm going down the UG road though. (much fun I must add)

I may or may not make a thread about it later on - but this I warn you about: Thalia is a headache.
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ck3gds i won't say i don't agree that dealing 20 damage is easier than milling... just said that if that's the case, you've got much better GW choices than fog effects to go with. if you want to go the damage way, even an aggro player will always be able to grab a draw from that deck (at least). to go the aggrocontrol way, better cut some fog effects, cut the rites, add o-rings and other spot removal and more efficient creatures. the goal of rites is not only to draw you fogs but to mill your opps faster. if you don't take advantadge of the fact he's drawing faster, you're just giving him card advantadge (as he benefits from rites earlier than you). i can imagine any delver deck giving thanks and praises to rites, you give him the chance to draw more counterspells to interact with your fogs and fly over you with equipped delver or stalker. so classic fog deck without blue it's not viable. maybe you could go with the curse lock, using fogs to stall until you get the combo out, then sweep and deal damage to win, but that's really difficult to go with.
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think he was saying that playing against thalia with this kind of deck is hard, not with it. blue has also filter (ponder) and finishers (milling, or if you still want to go damage, the sphynx gives you more advantadge from rites and speed to kick some asses). staying GW and similar to your deck, but changing the chalice engine, which i think is weak:

4 birds of paradise
4 avacyn pilgrim
3 stonehorn dignatary

4 fog
4 clinging mists
3 blunt the assault
4 rites of flourishing
3 curse of exhaustion
3 knowledge pool
3 day of judgement
2 gideon jura

the plan is: stall with fogs, early accel with mana dorks, late accel with rites, lock your opp down, DOJ, kill with either dignatary, gideon or even pilgrim.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2