Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono black (DKA)

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
eternal42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Mono black (DKA) Reply with quote

I drooled when i saw geraf's messenger and knew obliterator had a home in a deck like this. Tried making this deck work pre-DKA but it was missing good low drops. Now the deck has them.

As usual, I tested the hell out of this deck before putting it up here Against random MWS scrubs it is 17-1 with the only loss coming from mana screw. Against more competent opponents it is 10-4. I have not seen a lot of control decks yet so that may be something to keep in mind but between liliana, geralfs messenger and grave crawler, they would probably have some problems.

The game usually starts off with me dropping a 1 cost zombie and putting on some early pressure with a bit of disruption thrown in then the bigger guys come down and try to seal the deal. Liliana is quite a house even if she just turns into a 3 mana diabolic edict and a fog.

It seems most decks either die to the early onslaught or get ground out by discard/disruption. The porcelain legionnaires are a recent addition. At first the slot was used up as black cats (because they're zombies) but i wasn't overly fond of them. later I replaced the cats with ratchet bombs but found them only really useful against token decks. I needed a 2 drop critter that can apply some pressure before dying so the legionnaire was put in and I am pretty happy so far but more testing is still required.

the deck:

24x Swamp

4x Gravecrawler
4x Diregraf Ghoul
4x Porcelain Legionnaire
4x Geralf's Messenger
3x Skinrender
4x Phyrexian Obliterator
2x Bloodgift Demon

4x Smallpox
3x Go for the Throat
1x Ratchet Bomb
3x Liliana of the Veil

SB
4x Geth's Verdict
4x Distress
3x Black Sun's Zenith
3x Ratchet Bomb
1x Go for the Throat

I can see oblivion ring becoming really good in the coming months so ratchet bombs have another purpose there. BSZ and bombs for aggro, geths verdict for ramp (because they usually only drop a big critter) and distress for control rounds out the sideboard. Needs tinkering with (as usual) but seems pretty good so far. Criticism is appreciated so please let me know where to improve.
struikje

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! I have played a few games with my own smallpox yesterday, and it had some mixed results though.

A small remark might be on your removal: 3x Go for the Throat, and 1 in the sideboard seems a bit off. I'd play more doom blade then go for the throat, or at least split it in half. Also, as you are monoblack, curse of deaths hold is a very good card, you should play a few. Another good card against illusions/mass critters is massacre wurm.

Why not a few distress(despise!) maindeck?

The problem I had with this deck, it doesn't have any way to restock your hand.

Goodluck with it!
GunsAndDope

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alter raep on the zombie that can come back (3 mana draw spell). And where is Lashwrithe?
GunsAndDope

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think you need red for incinerates and brimstones, if not also for the good creatures as well. Obliterator is great, but most every deck can deal with him.
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why cuting black cat? he's a small buddy, that's true, but he's a zombie and your best smallpox target (makes it hurt more your opponent). also, by adding lashwrite he can be as fearful as anyone else. maybe cutting one land, one skinrender and one smallpox and add 3 lashwrite.
also, did you play against any rdw? it looks that they have the same game plan as you but can deal with almost every threat you throw at them (at least if they run dismembers for obliterator).
Listenboi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U should try tragic slip instead of go for the T. its better in a deck like this.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1