Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic-League Needs Translators

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Magic-League Needs Translators Reply with quote

As part of my current project of reviewing and updating all website documents, one area that has been identified for improving the accessibility of Magic-League involves the translation of some Magic-League documents into other languages. To achieve this, I need people who are willing to act as a translator.

Based on an evaluation of Magic-League demographics, the first stage is to translate the Getting Started on Magic-League guide into the following languages:

* Spanish
* Portuguese
* Italian

Once I have translations for each of these languages, I will consider translations into other languages on a case-by-case basis.

For those who are interested in translating, you need to possess the following:

1. Proficiency in the English language. You need to be able to read the documents and understand what they mean in their entirety. The Getting Started on Magic-League guide was constructed specifically with ease of use in mind, and this should not be lost in translation.

2. Proficiency in the translated language. For native speakers of other languages, this won't be a problem. However, for those who speak English as a first language, it is of the utmost importance that you can speak at a near-native level the language you wish to translate (translations will be proofread before they are published).

3. Commitment to the translation project. This project is not a time-consuming one - people who are proficient in English and the translated language should be able to translate the entire guide over a weekend. However, it is important that people who do volunteer for this are committed from start to finish.

--

If you are interested, please either contact me on IRC with your email address, or via email at weedmonkey@magic-league.com (please no replies to this thread unless you are asking questions about the translation process). I'll be taking volunteers on a first-come, first-served basis so that there isn't any overlapping. After I have volunteers, I will be sending out an email containing the style guide for translation.

Thanks in advance to everyone willing to volunteer!

Last edited by Weedmonkey on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Top8eR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very cool. Good job man.
Ciberon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The project looks good. I wonder, however, if it is worth translating the site if players can't play unless they know english.
Floi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the guide you're talking about?
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciberon: The translated guides will have an additional article in regards to the use of English on Magic-League.

floi: Yes

UPDATE: I currently have translators for Spanish and Portuguese. I have removed Swedish and German as it was recommended to me that these languages are not necessary to translate into (Swedish was to accomodate Swedish and Finnish players who apparently have an excellent grasp of English, and German players also tend to be proficient in English. Thanks Kaesh for this one!)

I have also added Italian to the list of languages to translate. Read the first post, and if you can do it feel free to email me Smile
Floi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna offer German and I don't really understand why you'd want to exclude those Germans who are not proficient enough to read the guide in English. But nevermind, I guess Very Happy

Isn't French missing, though?
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be nice to have German too; especially if floi is volunteering.
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I've spoken to floi and he's happy to work with a German translation Smile (can't hurt!).

I have the Italian translation and it will be uploaded later tonight. I am still looking for a Portuguese and Spanish translation (the people working on those two languages are MIA).
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1