Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Emrakul and Dragon Breath

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
magicman85

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Emrakul and Dragon Breath Reply with quote

If Dragon Breath is in my graveyard and I cast Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, can I attatch the Dragon Breath to him?
doc_morriar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 99% sure that this able.
as dragon breath says you may return it to play attached to that creature. not attached to target creature.

this wording allows you to attach it as long as emrakul is a creature.

another example would be if you were to academy rector an enchantment onto emrakul.
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another example is when returning pacifism with sun titan you can enchant opponent's geist of saint draft Smile
Kabelis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if dragonbreath did target, it would still work because Emrakul only has protection from spells, i.e. stuff on the stack.
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. You can attach Dragon Breath to Emrakul, the Aeon's Torn.

Protection protects against:
*Damage
*Enchant/Equipping
*Blocking
*Targetting

"Spells" are objects that are on the stack.

Dragon Breath is put directly from the Graveyard into play; therefore it is never a spell and Emrakul does not have protection from it.
Devkarven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: emrakul can be enchanted regardless Reply with quote

Emrakul has protection from colored spells, dragons breath is a enchant creature so what is actually targettin emrakul is a trigger from a colored permanent. All aura cards are able to attach to emrakul
zebo_88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: emrakul can be enchanted regardless Reply with quote

Devkarven wrote:
Emrakul has protection from colored spells, dragons breath is a enchant creature so what is actually targettin emrakul is a trigger from a colored permanent. All aura cards are able to attach to emrakul

not all aura cards, only aura cards that aren't put on the battlefield from the stack, because when you cast an aura spell you choose a legal target for it, and emrakul isn't a legal target since it's protected from colored spells
i doubt you can attach pacifism to geist of saint traft, anyway you have to choose a legal target to attach the aura to, or the aura card would be put into your graveyard as a state-based action (however you can choose your own titan Wink )
correct me if i am wrong Smile
Devkarven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: emrakul can be enchanted regardless Reply with quote

zebo_88 wrote:
Devkarven wrote:

not all aura cards, only aura cards that aren't put on the battlefield from the stack, because when you cast an aura spell you choose a legal target for it, and emrakul isn't a legal target since it's protected from colored spells
i doubt you can attach pacifism to geist of saint traft, anyway you have to choose a legal target to attach the aura to, or the aura card would be put into your graveyard as a state-based action (however you can choose your own titan Wink )

You are indeed right about this! im talking more in the form of Oblivion Ring or Journey to Nowhere. my mistake
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: emrakul can be enchanted regardless Reply with quote

zebo_88 wrote:

You can attach Pacifism to an opponent's Geist of Saint Traft, as long as you're doing so without casting it. When placing an aura on the battlefield in some method other than casting it, you must simply choose a legal object for it to enchant. There is no targeting involved, and as such no checking for legal targets. A Geist of Saint Traft would be a legal object for Pacifism to enchant, so you can choose to attach the Pacifism to it.

Also, if there is no legal object for an aura to enchant when being placed on the battlefield, it never gets placed on the battlefield at all, it just stays in whatever zone it was previously in (unless it's coming from the stack, in which case it goes to the graveyard). This has nothing to do with state-based actions.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1