Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sharum + Altar

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Tritemio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Sharum + Altar Reply with quote

i have into play Phyrexian Altar and i cast Sharuum the Hegemon , if I sacrifice sharuum for mana, can i choose sharuum itself for its ability ?
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Sharuum enters the battlefield, there is no opportunity to activate Phyrexian Altar until after Sharuum's triggered ability is already on the stack, so Sharuum will not be in the graveyard to target at the time a target is chosen.
zebo_88

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't phyrexian's altar ability a mana ability, so doesn't it use the stack??
MassO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zebo_88 wrote:
isn't phyrexian's altar ability a mana ability, so doesn't it use the stack??

You are not stacking the altar's ability only Sharuum's.
zebo_88

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i do not really understand, i thought every activated or triggered ability used the stack, so when i read this post i thought stuff worked like this:
1. i cast sharuum
2. sharuum touches the battelfield, and when it does, an ability that says "return target artifact card from your graveyard to the battlefield" triggers
3. in response to the trigger, i sac sharuum to get one mana from altar, this ability goes above the etb trigger and resolves first (however it does cuz its a mana ability
3b. the sacrifice is a cost so the card coes to the graveyard before the mana ability resolves
4. if no player wants to respond again, the top trigger on the stack resolves, so i can reanimate an artifact, and since sharuum is in my graveyard i can reanimate it and do it billions of times!
5. where is this plan's hidden flaw????
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought stuff worked like this:
1. i cast sharuum
2. sharuum touches the battelfield, and when it does, an ability that says "return target artifact card from your graveyard to the battlefield" triggers[, goes on the stack and you immediately pick a legal target.]
3. in response to the trigger, i sac sharuum to get one mana from altar, this ability goes above the etb trigger and resolves first (however it does cuz its a mana ability
3b. the sacrifice is a cost so the card coes to the graveyard before the mana ability resolves
4. if no player wants to respond again, the top trigger on the stack resolves, so i can reanimate the artifact [that I picked as a target when the ability triggered and went on the stack]!

---

Basically, you pick targets when the ability goes on the stack, not when it resolves.
zebo_88

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, well, i forgot about that. you have been perfectly clear Smile
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1