Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Needed With House-ruled Format

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What format list are you using? I mean, Standard(most recent core set and 2 most recent expert expansion blocks), Legacy(pretty much everything), somewhere in between?
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, you probably want to have some removal, and with mostly commons, that means red. Throw in a couple of Pyroclasm and a couple of Rolling Tremblor, now you have lots of opportunities to kill 2 or 5 birds with one stone.

2 Terramorphic Expanse and 2 Evolving Wilds means your mana will be fairly reliable. Now, you said you want to have counters and bounce. So make it GOOD counters and Bounce. Mana Leak, Remand, and Counterspell are all great commons. Boomerang is a solid bounce spell, but Silent Departure may be even better for you.

Another idea I toyed with when I was playing casually was a ton of bounce spells with discard. Go blue with black, make sure you have some rare black sweepers, and try to bounce permanents back to their hand just in time to make them discard them.

Finally, you might want to look into an old Mystical Teachings deck. Throw in any other tutor to replace Teachings 3 and 4, then the rest of the deck was mostly 1-of commons anyway.
Lenin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a sideboard or not?
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If single color is a pre-req, you have to go with red. Really red is the only color where you can take a deck of 100% commons and walk into a real event and compete against 500 dollar decks.

Take a look at any old Red Deck Wins list and find commons that do the same job as their rares. For example, you can't use Goblin Guide, but you can use Raging Goblin.
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think winnie is the way to go with this home rules. i'd go green, as with the hole card pool available u have tricks (growths and similar) and high quality creatures (mire and river boa, scythe tiger, rogue elephant, jolrael's centaur, spike feeder, yavimaya elder, blastoderm, ravenous baloth, penumbra spider, ghazban ogre, basking rootwalla, treetop scout, scryb sprites (these last two really important, evasion), martyr of spores, jungle lion, mtenda lion, elvish visionary, werebear, ambush viper, sakura-tribe elder, wild mongrel, quirion sentinel...) and that's only for commons...
with your plan, it could work, but as someone said, counter and bounce should be only a vehicle to a general plan. i'd probably go for tempo if you're facing winnies, man'o war, aether adept, looters, some quality flyers, some fishes, some shooters, some quality equipment, counter, bounce, draw engine and done.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1