Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RUG Coating

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
plusua

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: RUG Coating Reply with quote

There is another version Green/Red of this deck type but the thing missing was an efficient draw mechanic, desperate ravings fixes that in this version below. Snapcaster Mage was added to extend the decks performance by replaying cards from the grave. The G/R version when running ran out of steam against Solar Flare decks and their white Titans pretty much brought back all their lands.

The premise of the deck is to destroy lands, period. Once this is achieved with Liquimetal Coating and every instant spell that destroys artifacts, the game can be won with any of the creatures in the deck once board control is established. Trouble with the deck is you're never guaranteed you'll be certain to get LMC on the table, so you'll find yourself grinding to get things online. First rule with this deck is if you don't have LMC in hand, mulligan to six or five cards if you have to, if you still don't just play through and hope you draw into it via Desperate Ravings.

I originally came up with this back when SOM came out and I was testing deck designs in that Block. I haven't revisited it until now. In my opinion this is a deck many do not expect, so the surprise factor is an advantage. I also think that the sideboard, as it remains empty with this list should be up to the player. I would suggest a transformative sideboard though. Leaving fifteen slots open for whatever you can come up with within the RUG color pool for Standard. I've found that given the wide open meta-game and the narrowness of the design making the side mirror the main with more artifact destruction spells is sometimes overkill. You'll need other win conditions other than the LMC strategy.

Some are pretty simple, the deck plays pretty easy but some cards need to be played with things in mind. For example if you try to destroy an artifact land with Ancient Grudge vs. a counter control player remember that if it gets countered you can flashback for one green mana, so leave one open. The land will be an artifact until the end of turn. It's rare to play this deck on your turn, works better if you played the strategy during their end of turn step. You can destroy permanents during that period and again during your turn, sometimes three permanents or lands usually get destroy from one turn into another.

Potential Deck for Standard
Name: RUG Coating

25 Lands

3 Buried Ruin
4 Hinterland Harbor
4 Rootbound Crag
4 Sulfur Falls
5 Forest
5 Mountain

15 Creatures

3 Ezuri's Brigade
4 Manic Vandal
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Sylvok Replica

20 Spells

4 Liquimetal Coating
4 Ancient Grudge
4 Desperate Ravings
4 Naturalize
4 Shatter

Give it a try and tell me what you think, or how I can improve on it and perhaps entertaining the idea of a transformative sideboard.

Thanks
Strid3r

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe add ponder and inferno titans, and remove ezuri's brigade
plusua

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strid3r wrote:
maybe add ponder and inferno titans, and remove ezuri's brigade

Yes, good suggestion. Thanks man.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine was hell-bent on the liquimetal idea when scars came out as well. The r/g lists didn't lack card draw, as they had Viridian Revel and the one G sorcery that revealed the top 5 for a colorless card. The problem with the strategy is if you can't find/resolve a metalcoating, the deck does nothing. He tested every possible color combination, yet the deck was always inconsistent. When Zendikar rotated it lost the one drop "tutor" it relied on making it further more inconsistent. I tried keeping his idea alive while adding blue for Ponder and Forbid Alch (dig for metalcoating) and Snapcaster to reuse dig spells or removal. The deck, as before, was inconsistent. If it could resolve a coating early game, with even a suboptimal hand, it would run a 70% chance of winning. If it didn't find/resolve the coating early, it had a at best 10% chance of winning. Another problem with the deck was the aggro match. Early pressure and consitency from the aggro decks left little-to-no time for the Metalcoating to dig for its namesake card and establish any kind of board presence/control.
MassO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Wurmcoil Engine over the InfernoTitans
Jacois

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well..... in my humble opinion, the problem isn't with Liquimetal Coating, the problem is with the deck. Land Destruction is just a bad strategy. Aggro is too fast and Control just has too many lands. Against either (Except maybe Steel) the deck is going to either whiff on the coating, gain control of the board and not have a way to win, or just get smashed quickly.

I would suggest having Liquimetal Coating compliment the strategy rather than to BE the strategy. I'll quickly whip something together to better illustrate my point.

T-1000's Delight (liquid metal, har dee har har)

// Lands
3 [ISD] Woodland Cemetery
1 [ISD] Swamp (2)
4 [ISD] Forest (2)
3 [SOM] Razorverge Thicket
3 [SOM] Copperline Gorge
1 [LRW] Shimmering Grotto
1 [IN] Island (3)
1 [CHK] Plains (4)
1 [RAV] Mountain (1)
3 [ISD] Hinterland Harbor

// Creatures
3 [MBS] Glissa, the Traitor
4 [7E] Birds of Paradise
2 [SOM] Trinket Mage
2 [NPH] Etched Monstrosity
3 [SOM] Sylvok Replica

// Spells
3 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
1 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
1 [MBS] Praetor's Counsel
2 [NPH] Remember the Fallen
3 [ISD] Ancient Grudge
3 [M12] Doom Blade
1 [SOM] Mox Opal
1 [SOM] Origin Spellbomb
1 [SOM] Horizon Spellbomb
3 [MBS] Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
3 [MBS] Ichor Wellspring
3 [SOM] Liquimetal Coating

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [MBS] Praetor's Counsel
SB: 3 [SOM] Memoricide
SB: 2 [MBS] Thrun, the Last Troll
SB: 1 [ISD] Ancient Grudge
SB: 4 [M12] Timely Reinforcements
SB: 1 [M12] Doom Blade
SB: 3 [M12] Mind Rot

There ya go, that's looking better. I made it 5 colour cause I'm just that crazy. I'll let you figure out all the fun little nuances for yourself.
MassO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have tried this over and over. Your original list is totally saturated in Artifact destruction spells, which mid to late game, is worthless or not enough to keep up or you are looking for your finisher and by the time you find it, you die.

You should have roughly 12 artifact destruction spells and/or Creatures that have the destruction ability. This also gives you attackers that they are having to deal with while your concentrating on destroying their lands.

I eliminated the green altogether except for splashing for the Kessig and flashback for the grudges. This allows me to add in Master Thief, which allows me to steal their artifacts, I also add in ponders and Forbidden Alchemy, this also helps because of the tempo it brings to the deck. So here goes, maybe this will help.

Lands
2 [M12] Buried Ruin
2 [ISD] Kessig Wolf Run
8 [M12] Island (1)
5 [ISD] Mountain (3)
4 [M12] Rootbound Crag
4 [ISD] Sulfur Falls

// Creatures
2 [MBS] Consecrated Sphinx
3 [M12] Master Thief
4 [ISD] Snapcaster Mage
3 [SOM] Oxidda Scrapmelter
4 [M12] Manic Vandal

// Spells
4 [M12] Mana Leak
3 [ISD] Forbidden Alchemy
4 [M12] Ponder
4 [SOM] Liquimetal Coating
4 [ISD] Ancient Grudge

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [M12] Master Thief
SB: 3 [M12] Flashfreeze
SB: 4 [MBS] Into the Core
SB: 3 [SOM] Tunnel Ignus
SB: 4 [SOM] Arc Trail

I forgot to add that I added in Mana Leaks which once you destroy about 3 lands in a row, allows you to protect the board and with Snappy gives you 8 counterspells. I chose the Sphinx because there was only 2 spots left and the highest cmc in the deck was 4. it also gives you the ability dig for the coating and/or provide more destruction cards. Test and let me know.
plusua

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, for you input thus far.

I agree that R/G doesn't cut it, there's a need to add U, here's another look at the design.

4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Ancient Grudge
4 Ponder
8 Island
3 Naturalize
3 Manic Vandal
1 Inferno Titan
1 Shimmering Grotto
3 Into the Core
3 Desperate Ravings
2 Burning Vengeance
2 Shatter
3 Hinterland Harbor
4 Sulfur Falls
3 Forbidden Alchemy
5 Mountain
4 Liquimetal Coating
3 Rootbound Crag

Sideboard
4 Whipflare
3 Mana Leak
3 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Combust
3 Autumn's Veil

The Inferno Titan, when it can make an appearance if it's not lost during a 'ravings' play, works out well.

I find that cutting any of the above artifact hate really stops the deck from maintaining that sort of control. The deck still needs more testing against the gauntlet of Standard. I"ve played on MTGO with it in 4RND Standard events and usually go not higher than 2-2. I took it to a PE Standard and went 3-3.

Again, if the Coatings do not show then it becomes a game of Burning Vengance until it does, usually that's not the case of a Coatings win if it come late so the main focus is the Vengance.

On the other hand if Coatings gets an early drop, I strongly suggest taking out lands as a priority over all others. If you sb in Whipflare your strategy should allow you to hold the board to a win. Just remember to Coatings your creatures before you play Whipflare.

Thanks for the input, I"ll keep posting changes/improvements as this develops, Dark Ascension is coming soon, so I"m not to dedicated just yet to the decks current design.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1